Author Topic: New server list & player graph  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
Re: New server list & player graph
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
Well impressed with the mouseover info! Thanks again Spooky!

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »
Indeed, this is pretty cool
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
Random data mining: in the last 7 days we had more average players (9.7851) than in the same 7 days exactly one year ago (8.8119).

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »
New update: the server list is now acquired from http://www.qtracker.com as well - but the server information is now determined via GameQ only (so if the server cannot be scanned, it won't show up).

Random note: in July TSA_Sandblasted's throne was finally usurped by TC_Thunder Rift in the popular map list ;)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 04:47:58 AM »
Hmm, now that we had to move to Qtracker, even Funbox Alpha and Beta are gone from your list...

And that's reeeeally weird, since you already added Qtracker support to your list...

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
Well, I told you that last time in chat. The reason why the servers are not showing up now is because I cannot scan them. gametracker.com cannot scan Funbocks (Alpha & Beta) properly now either. game-monitor.com however can still scan the server normally it seems, so there must be a way.

To me it looks like that the server's response is slightly different when the server is using qtracker and the library I use cannot cope with that.

However, why do we even need qtracker? (On the server.) Last night, before the change presumably, Funbocks Alpha showed up like normal in the in-game server list (when using the edited /etc/hosts file) and it was scannable by my tool and gametracker.com.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2014, 06:40:04 PM »
Well my point was that something is weird because Funboxes servers should be correctly set up to be scanned by Gametracker...that's the reason of my concern.
Anyway, now I see that servers are listed in grey in your list...That's good, at least we can see their IP and if there are any players in.

Also, apparently my home servers are not visible in any list anymore  :(
I mean, you should be able to connect manually, but there is no way I can put them in both yours and in-game server list...
Tested with and without gametracker host fix

Strange, last time I used gametracker host fix (less than 2 weeks ago), it worked  ???

Maybe it's because Qtracker needs a port to be forwarded for the query (Gamespy didn't, actually I didn't forward any port for MWLL server, and it always worked)...

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
We did some tests today: Funbocks Alpha Beta and Gamma were scannable at some point before today. However, since today, only Gamma was scannable and as soon as Haarp restarted Gamma too, it wasn't scannable either.

This is how the query protocol works: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/UT3_query_protocol

• You first send data like this to the server: FE FD 09 XX XX XX XX
  • Then the server responses with 09 XX XX XX XX YY YY YY YY YY YY YY YY YY YY YY YY
  • With the ID located within YY YY ... you can query additional data
What I found out was, that the Funbocks server for instance, does respond to the first query, but the ID it returns is always "0" and thus no additional data can be queried. As soon as the server was unable to make a "real" connection to the gamespy master server, the initial response does not generate a valid ID. For whatever reason.

However, @Starchild: I see that "MWLL Official Free Training Center" is up and running and it is scannable. Does this server run all the time? Has it been restarted recently?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:35:02 PM by Spooky »

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 10:03:51 PM »
Not good: there is a game going on right now as I make this post (7-8 players @HuntressA TC_ThunderRift) BUT player graph is not showing it at all   :'(

I was on earlier @FreeTrainingServer and that was recorded   :o 

I have no clue what is going on but flat lined player graph is not good for this game when there actually is action going on.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »
Not good: there is a game going on right now as I make this post (7-8 players @HuntressA TC_ThunderRift) BUT player graph is not showing it at all   :'(

I was on earlier @FreeTrainingServer and that was recorded   :o 

I have no clue what is going on but flat lined player graph is not good for this game when there actually is action going on.

Without scannable servers, this information is simply not accessible. The Training server was scannable. Everything that is grey on the list is not scannable.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:38 AM »
What I found out was, that the Funbocks server for instance, does respond to the first query, but the ID it returns is always "0" and thus no additional data can be queried. As soon as the server was unable to make a "real" connection to the gamespy master server, the initial response does not generate a valid ID. For whatever reason.
Did you use qtracker hostfile patch in your tests?

However, @Starchild: I see that "MWLL Official Free Training Center" is up and running and it is scannable. Does this server run all the time? Has it been restarted recently?
I don't use my network anymore to host this server. We are using a hosting company located in Canada. It's not behind a NAT (or I would think so) and the qtracker hostfile patch has been applied on it. I don't know if or when duelist restarted it...I can't do that  :-\
You should ask him.

Qtracker can fetch only the number of the players from a server, not their names.
I guess the only way to know who is actually playing on a server is to set it up correctly so Spooky's server list can always scan it..

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »
Did you use qtracker hostfile patch in your tests?

Yes, but that does not matter at all anyway. Only a connection to the server itself is made, there is never any connection to any of the gamespy servers, when querying game servers.

I don't use my network anymore to host this server. We are using a hosting company located in Canada. It's not behind a NAT (or I would think so) and the qtracker hostfile patch has been applied on it. I don't know if or when duelist restarted it...I can't do that  :-\
You should ask him.

Hostfile patch? You mean you edited the /etc/hosts file and did nothing else? The curios thing is, that the Server pops in and out of the list, presumably because it is not running all the time and gets started/restarted on demand. If that is the case, something on your server is making it possible to query it without an initial, valid gamespy master server connection.

Any contact info for duelist? ;)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
Hostfile patch? You mean you edited the /etc/hosts file and did nothing else? The curios thing is, that the Server pops in and out of the list, presumably because it is not running all the time and gets started/restarted on demand. If that is the case, something on your server is making it possible to query it without an initial, valid gamespy master server connection.

Any contact info for duelist? ;)
Yes, duelist just added the lines you see in my guide in the host file. And now it disappeared from your list (but you can still find it in the in-game server list).

I don't really know what's going on...

Anyway, sending contact info via PM.

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • my little pwny
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 01:11:00 AM »
Stats are back up and running. HAARP pointed me to use Wireshark in order to determine how qtracker is actually scanning the server and that helped :). I should have thought of that before :P

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Hooray :D its back again!  Nice work :D