Author Topic: how would the clan(s) see or respond to civilian's that prove their combat worth  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Welthier_Pluto

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Now this is something that was on my mind for some time. Now I don't know if such a situation would be very likely to happen. But what if a chalcas unoffical military unit comprised of lower caste member's unofficially took on missions in the clan invasion.

Using for example omnimech's and omnivee's and Battle Armour made with IS grade tools, weapons and equipment and consistently do the near impossible or at least very difficult assignments(In a similar manner to the french foreign legion or soviet sailor's in ww2 and prior.) and ultimately prove themselves that they are not completely useless in combat to the point that clan warrior caste members and clan councils(and by extension the clan grand council) start to take notice of their actions/contributions to the war effort as whole. how would they view them and would react to them?

this is something that think could be odd to see. If you look at real world history with the that village the Libya civil war who were nothing more than angry civi's with guns at first turned into one of the rebel's most elite militia's.

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
Interesting question.. I think it would depend quite much from the political attitude and views of a Clansman. Some Clans have a more liberal mindset and some are more traditionalists.

So many Clansmen would be blind to civilians' combat value or at least not approve their fighting (after all, they would see them as inferior castes trying to be warriors). You can see a similar situation in the 2nd book of the Jade Phoenix trilogy (IIRC) when Jade Falcon forces have to deal with a civilian rebellion on a controlled planet.

Other Clans might want to make them warriors, or at least give them a chance. At least, the Wolves might do it since under Ulric Kerensky and Phelan Kell's leaderships they got a better knowdledge of the Inner Sphere; These Khans (and  Khan Natasha Kerensky) knew that the Spheroids are not worthless barbarians.

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear
In 3079 the Rasalhague KungsArmé merged with the Ghost Bear Touman upon the creation of the Ghost Bear Dominion. I believe the Bears would certainly look appreciate such a unit after they became wardens. Idk about crusader Bears.
I think this question also depends on how the clan views freebirths. If a civilian militia somehow repelled an invasion of a backwater world would the trueborn be accepting of that or would they bury the embarrassment? Smoke Jags iirc, viewed civilians as inferior in every way (more or less lol) and would probably not be too happy about some freebirths showing them up.

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline Welthier_Pluto

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Interesting question.. I think it would depend quite much from the political attitude and views of a Clansman. Some Clans have a more liberal mindset and some are more traditionalists.

So many Clansmen would be blind to civilians' combat value or at least not approve their fighting (after all, they would see them as inferior castes trying to be warriors). You can see a similar situation in the 2nd book of the Jade Phoenix trilogy (IIRC) when Jade Falcon forces have to deal with a civilian rebellion on a controlled planet.

Other Clans might want to make them warriors, or at least give them a chance. At least, the Wolves might do it since under Ulric Kerensky and Phelan Kell's leaderships they got a better knowdledge of the Inner Sphere; These Khans (and  Khan Natasha Kerensky) knew that the Spheroids are not worthless barbarians.

And it is that specific blindness/arrogance to combat potential in the civilian population that nearly bit the trueborn's of the coyotes in the backside during the WOR era in the home world's on Glasgow in the blood spirit worlds. the then Kahn of the Cyotes declared them as dezgra, on top of the stone lion's encountering a similar incident.

On the flip side if they ultimately proved to be good enough certain clans such the hell's horse's and the warden wolves(especially under the leadership of the likes of ulric and phelan) may decide to give them a shot at a trial of position.

In 3079 the Rasalhague KungsArmé merged with the Ghost Bear Touman upon the creation of the Ghost Bear Dominion. I believe the Bears would certainly look appreciate such a unit after they became wardens. Idk about crusader Bears.
I think this question also depends on how the clan views freebirths. If a civilian militia somehow repelled an invasion of a backwater world would the trueborn be accepting of that or would they bury the embarrassment? Smoke Jags iirc, viewed civilians as inferior in every way (more or less lol) and would probably not be too happy about some freebirths showing them up.

The ghost bear dominion was created when the bears decided to start to move to the IS wholesale. Where the Jags are concerned yeah I can see why they would want bury such an embarrassment. Don't know about other warden clans like coyotes and Nova cats.

Offline CGB [Ancient Demise]

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • Clan Ghost Bear

The ghost bear dominion was created when the bears decided to start to move to the IS wholesale. Where the Jags are concerned yeah I can see why they would want bury such an embarrassment. Don't know about other warden clans like coyotes and Nova cats.

Right. The fact that the did move suggests they would be more accepting of it. Nova Cats would probably take some hallucinogens and see what their dreams tell them to do lol

"Most discipline is hidden discipline, designed not to liberate but to limit. Do not ask 'Why.' Be cautious with 'How.' 'Why' leads inexorably to paradox. 'How' traps you in a universe of cause and effect. Both deny the infinite."
---The Apocrypha of Arrakis; Frank Herbert, Heretics of Dune

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
They'd wank them off in a bath full of baked beans, obviously...