Author Topic: Open Drop night!  (Read 8833 times)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
Re: Open Drop night!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 11:51:48 PM »
I'm going to be bringing a few guys over to play once or twice a week. I'm not sure how many of us will be over to play but I'm going to shoot for two nights a week, Wednesday night and Saturday nights for now. It's not going to be us grouping up to slaughter, it's going to be auto join and have fun. I hope that everyone will try to make it on those two nights and if needed we can adjust them I'm sure StarCh1ld won't mind at all.
I will be there both on Friday and Saturday.
This weekend we had less than 6 players, we didn't even start the event. We will give it a last try. If still too few people show up, then I will cancel the event. Playing a TC in 3 vs 3 is kinda pointless. Don't want to play CapWarrior.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
If numbers are that small, just play on a TSA map, or even a SA map.  Just pick teams at the start for SA, and remember who is on your team.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline fractura_laniatus

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Heat level critical
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 05:23:40 AM »
I can certainly understand Starch1ld's frustrations about low turnout and I agree with AlphaCat.  I like the idea of organized TC a lot, but if there aren't enough people for TC, then we play TSA/SA until such time as there is enough.  For me the fun part is being able to voice chat (effortless exchange of intel, strategy, small amounts of general bullshitting) with the entire team during a game, no matter what type of game that is.  Everyone can type, and certainly everyone can read in-game text chat, but for some inexplicable reason people are just more "together" when they are in voice chat.  In that kind environment, I'll do weight-limited drops TSA style, TC, SA, hell even sparrowhawk duels.

What I think hurts turnout a lot is that although a password protected server is great to ensure that only people that are willing to play ball can join, there's no easy way for people to see how to get into "that one server with all the players that's got a password on it".  If you don't happen to cruise the forums, and therefore don't already know what's going on, all you see is server filled with people and a big, fat padlock on it.  I can understand how one in that situation may feel like it is unnecessary exclusion, especially with a player base that is relatively small.  Word-of-mouth helps; with people who do know about events typing out announcements in chat on other servers.  That helpfulness lasts precisely as long as it takes for those people who know to join the locked server to actually play.  Then the announcements stop.
Nuke Nibbles!  Taste the armageddon in your mouth!

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »
A flash of genius or not...
Make OpenDropNight server name into a tinyURL (or something similar) from where you can learn how to get that server password   :o

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 04:06:53 PM »
Maybe we coule put TS address in tinyurl...anyway, we even announced the event during a pub match last time...but no one came...

Offline duelist

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +219/-0
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 05:36:31 AM »
It's a weekly thing same mech-time same mech-channel  8)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 06:52:36 AM »
If nothing happens this week, I will cancel the event. Running an event that no one plays is kinda pointless.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:41 AM »
Not all at once!. Not people at the event - just play. there are people - EVENT starti. M.b. remove server password for better access. Who came to be - sent to teamspeak.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
Idea: the event will start with 30 minutes of "warm-up", while server password will be removed, so random pubs will be able to join and then we will send them to TS. Then, we will put password and restart server.
So, the actual event will start at 10:30 PM.

Offline fractura_laniatus

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Heat level critical
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »
I'm liking the warm-up idea Starch1ld.

If there are people who play the game but can't talk on Teamspeak (because of no microphone, roommates, or other miscellaneous reasons), they could still download the program and join the channel.  I think there are a fair amount of people in this category; I used to be.  They would still have to type, but people that can talk wouldn't have to repeat all the intel/commands over text chat, which negates the benefits of voice comms in the first place. 

Nuke Nibbles!  Taste the armageddon in your mouth!

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
Event canceled
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 11:43:03 PM »
Apparently, players are just not interested in playing organized events anymore. I don't want to waste my time trying to wait for players to come. I did it for 2 weekends, and we had no more than 6 players. Playing a 3 vs 3 is just pointless, it's not what I wanted, for this event.

I'm canceling this event, and I'm not going to organize such kind of stuff anymore. I'm tired to waste my time.

Offline Werewolf486}12thVR{

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 12:11:43 AM »
Drama for nothing.

Me and a few guys will be on tonight blowing each other up if others want to join in! I'll make a post of my own.
NEW: Cooler Master ATSC840                                                    OLD: Cooler Master ATSC840
ASUS LGA2011 Rampage IV Black Edition/Intel i7-4930K             ASUS LGA775 Rampage Extreme/Intel Q9550S
ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/27" ASUS Monitor                          ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2/ 24" ASUS Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance/Razor Nostromo/M70,M65 Corsair         8GB OCZ Reaper/ N52te/Sidewinder
Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit                                     Kingwin Mach1 1220watt/Win 7 Pro 64bit
250gb Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/500GB WD Blue x 2 in Raid1        80GB Velociraptor x 2 in Raid0/750GB WD Blue x2 in Raid1

Offline duelist

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +219/-0
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
Same time same channel this week. Saturday nights are designated everybody show up and mech battle!  8)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
well, whatever, events, not events...

If you just want to play and have some fun with us, join our ts....

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
Look I have no idea what all your time frames are and I've no real intention to learn. GMT is all I can operate on (except GMT +1 on the few occasions I am in Sweden).

So, I am available to play most evening if I'm not investing my attention into something else (self loathing and Fallout 2 are quite popular at the moment), I've no idea what the details of whatever TS thing you're using is.

So ultimately I'll just join servers and insult people, if at some point you tell me where you're all communicating verbally I shall continue to insult you with my voice.