Author Topic: Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo  (Read 1440 times)

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:29 AM »
So there's this new thing called Outterra Anteworld, currently a tech demo for the engine (or tech demo for the game [Anteworld] not sure which) and, well, here's a link: http://forum.outerra...php?topic=637.0

So the gist of it is this: You can fly around the world (Earth, with no human life or signs) and drive a truck, that's it.

But here's the kicker: It is TO. fappING. SCALE. THE PLANET.

I am dead serious, you can zoom from space all the way down to some random blade of grass in Germany. And then visit the Swiss Alps. Then go to the Sahara because WHY NOT. Everything is to scale, entire mountains covered by forests, the oceans (which take a while to fly across) are HUGE.

And here's some more: The download is initially 400 MB (you heard me) and 15 Gigs for the full Earth data set. Titanfall is 40Gigs, while THE PLANET EARTH is 15. Also you need a min of 2 Gigs of RAM to run this.

Here's how the dev/devs do it, the terrain is dynamically downloaded (quite fast might I add) and doesn't render for shit if you're not staring at it.

Just go take a look at it, I personally had to clean my face off of my chest after it melted.
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: Outerra Anteworld Alpha Demo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
First off a working link: http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?topic=637.0

Secondly reminds me of a certain other project of this scale and scope that's still in "development". I wonder if any of you can guess what it is, here's a clue, it's name is coinciding with the amount of time it'll take to develop.

Also cool link dude Emy, I'll give more on it once I play the demo  ;D

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 03:47:45 AM »
Secondly reminds me of a certain other project of this scale and scope that's still in "development". I wonder if any of you can guess what it is, here's a clue, it's name is coinciding with the amount of time it'll take to develop.

...ReRoll?

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »

...ReRoll?

Nej, det är inte det.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »
Tried it, bored the shit out of me and kept asking me to buy the complete version ever twelve seconds.

Impressive tech, boring out put.

Would not recommend.

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 10:00:36 AM »
25gb of titanfall's 40gb is uncompressed audio they chose to include because apparently that was a way to push performance up to 11.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
But it's CoD with mechs, I mean how could you not like that?

I just got an 12 kill streak and the game gave me the suitable prostate stimulated orgasm and replaced my ejaculate with mountain dew.

Offline Urishima }12thVR{

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-0
  • Abacus
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:03:37 PM »
I just got an 12 kill streak and the game gave me the suitable prostate stimulated orgasm and replaced my ejaculate with mountain dew.

As much as I love bashing CoD, Titanfall has no killstreaks afaik. Honestly the only thing that keeps me from buying it is Origin. None of that, no thank you.
Ghiest: I suggest trying to control your forum torrettes with copious amounts of weed.

KingLeerUK: Right now playing puretech is like riding a bike without a seat; you're putting yourself through some unnecessary discomfort and everyone else on the trail is looking at you funny.

Bill: You're a massive gay. Let's bum.
Deathbane: Let's.

My Youtube channel filled with MWLL awesomeness!

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
Give it time, give it time.

Also my jokes don't really have to have a basis in reality you may have noticed, my avatar is an example of this.

But regardless, I've no interest in that game. It's not mech combat, don't sell it to me as mech combat, it's a standard fps with a different player models.

Same old soup, one new ingredient.