Author Topic: Config for MWLL and framerates  (Read 2999 times)

Offline fractura_laniatus

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Heat level critical
Config for MWLL and framerates
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:16:58 AM »
I really feel like MWLL should be running faster than ~30 fps with the rig I've got.  I'd like to get some thoughts on this from you guys if at all possible.   Could it be that I have some graphics settings screwed up or am I just running inferior hardware for what's required?

Summary of the specs for my laptop:
CPU: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz-3.4GHz)
Memory: 8GB DDRIII
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M GDDR5 2GB
Storage: 128GB mSATA SSD
Resolution I play at: 1920X1080
Nuke Nibbles!  Taste the armageddon in your mouth!

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
Re: Config for MWLL and framerates
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:22:22 AM »
Sounds about right to me. I've got a GT650M and get around 30fps on heavier maps like Enchaldas. On older maps I get 45 to 50fps. Your limiting factor is definitely your GPU at 1080p resolution.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »
CPU: 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz-3.4GHz)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M GDDR5 2GB
First: M versions of processors are WAY less powerful than their desktop versions. You can check differences at gpuboss or cpuboss.com
Second: disable anti-alias and vsync. You will notice big performance improvements.
Third: use my autoexec...link is in my install guide.

Offline khazzor

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:05 AM »
All I have to say is wow, that rig is way way better than mine and I have no noticeable issues (that can't be attributed to my high ping anyway).

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »
Well actually I noticed problems too, on my PC...I just started using monitors for GPU/CPU usage and temps, and I noticed a veery weird thing. This is my config:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (3.2Ghz - 3.6Ghz Turbo clock)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 480
16 GB RAM DDR3@1333 MHz
2x320 GB HD - 7200rpm - RAID-0 (SATA3)

GPU and CPU are 2 years and half old.

Game config: Auto-detection (all set to High), custom Autoexec with CCC enhancements, AntiAlias 2X, 1920*1080 - DirectX10

CPU and GPU temps are good while I play. But sometimes I experience frame drops (they drop to 15-12 fps) especially on Kagoshima, Altay and Taiga. And this is the weird thing: when it happens, the GPU and CPU usage drops too...

I mean, when frame drops happen, CPU and GPU usages are never over 40%...Instead, when it runs all smooth, CPU is at 60%, and GPU around 70-90%...
I don't play many games in these days, but I noticed that the same thing happens with some other games.
And no, it's not because RAM or Hdisks. I checked their usage: nothing strange..

Low GPU and CPU usage, but still frame drops...I think that my CPU could have some problems, but I'm not sure about it.

And nope, nothing is overclocked
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 01:45:35 PM by Starch1ld »

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:24:15 PM »
Then I would assume that the low framerates are connected to the player numbers - how many are around when things go weird? This game sends lots of packages to the clients, some routers tolerate more than 30 players, others barely reach 20. Some of the maps have destructible things like trees on them, which might have quite an impact on that problem.

There is a console command that shows you how the time a frame needs to be drawn is used. I haven't used it in ages and hence don't remember it, but I think I should be able to look it up.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:10 PM »
Entirely likely the maps just aren't that well optimised. Before I upgraded, my system would get 30fps on every map. Except Kago, that was 5fps MAX no matter what. The other maps came out after I'd upgraded, and even on my 2600k and hd7870, Taiga and Altay still don't run that well, meanwhile maps like Sandblasted and Death Valley are silky smooth. YMMV

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline fractura_laniatus

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
  • Heat level critical
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 04:42:42 AM »
There is a console command that shows you how the time a frame needs to be drawn is used.

I think it's "r_displayinfo 2".  I know "r_displayinfo 1" shows you fps.
Nuke Nibbles!  Taste the armageddon in your mouth!

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:37 AM »
Nah, its "Profile 6" (type con_restricted 0 before). It might be locked though, might only work in the alpha build.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-19
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:38 PM »
[snip]
CPU and GPU temps are good while I play. But sometimes I experience frame drops (they drop to 15-12 fps) especially on Kagoshima, Altay and Taiga. And this is the weird thing: when it happens, the GPU and CPU usage drops too...

I mean, when frame drops happen, CPU and GPU usages are never over 40%...Instead, when it runs all smooth, CPU is at 60%, and GPU around 70-90%...
[...snip]
How does the CPU usage stand per core ?

it sure looks like one single process (network?,a thread?) is bottleneck-ING the whole system ???

May it be the single thread performance of that particular rig to be the true bottleneck?

Like, the Cry-engine depends on that physics dedicated core, and on Kagoshima it gets loaded heavily on occasion?
 :o

So there should be "bottom-lines" for:
Number of threads CPU can handle (~3 AFAIK)
GPU performance for each quality level (Nvidia x60 accelerators for mid and x80 for high, Radeon x770 for mid, x9x0 for better (or Rn x90))
Single threaded performance like 1400 or better per core/thread for lag free play

1. Get the largest possible monitor with least possible resolution, like 19" 1440x1024  :o
2. Get the newest accelerator practical (~HD7950) for the least money with least TDP
3. Get muscle CPU with not much high level cache (keeps TDP in check) but single thread ample (~@4GHz x 3-4 cores)
4. Get the motherboard that runs the fastest RAM there is ( :o DDR3@1866 or  ??? faster?) get 4GB at least (I run 4GB swap-less)
5. Disk is non issue but SATA3 SSDspeeds up load/start/deploy considerably (if budget allows) the install is OS+GAME+some ~64GB (bare minimum -32GB but then play-station like setup only)
6a. Upgrade cooling to 212 EVO for CPU
6b. Upgrade cooling for GPU accordingly (get it down to 55C while play) and silent
7. Get ATX2.03 or stricter power supply with least totalpower while 20A per 12V rail (dual rail or better) - we run a 600W rig on a 200W PSU here ( :o everyone lies out there except Scully and Molder  8))

Offline Serpentus

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-0
  • Score: -167772
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
Cry Engine is weird as fapp, on some Graphics Cards, like the one I use, you can switch between render modes with alt+enter. Try that a few times, maybe it's just the rendermode and another one is better. For instance, on the PC i'm using i have to press alt+enter twice, first puts it into a better rendermode and windowed, the second gives me the better mode unwindowed.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-19
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:39:34 AM »
Still single threade performance of the 3rd core seems to impact most.
Esp. while brawling with more assets engaged?
 ???
Would there be CPUS that could cluster up virtual cores from core arrays  ::)