Author Topic: Independent mech game project.  (Read 24558 times)

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-9
Independent mech game project.
« on: May 16, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
ELH_Imp decided to create his own game about big bad war machines while been disappointed by modern game development industry. It is not even a game yet, but it is definitely interesting to look at i must say.
Follow the dream, like and subscribe in english section of ELH forum  here.
P.S. im not gonna update this post, please post your feedback\suggestions\ideas in link above. For russian speaking part of community there is a link to  full russian thread
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:19:23 AM by ELH_MrGray »

"Do you know what the sound of 2 UAC/20s is?"
"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
Re: Independent mech game project.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »
Interesting. Going to try it.

EDIT: wow...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-5f1hpxMQ [Don't worry, it's set as not listed. If you want me to remove it, just tell me]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:57:04 PM by Starch1ld »

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:06 AM »
LOL I opened a thread about this on the OFF TOPIC section of MWO Italian forum, and MWO mods removed it when they noticed that people liked it.  ;D

No kind of warnings on my profile...nothing! The thread just vanished!   :)

Strange thing, because the thread about Star Citizen in the same section is still ongoing (and it's even the only active thread in the whole Italian forum!!), but they don't seem to care about that..

Apparently even PGI thinks it's a good project :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:37:31 AM by Starch1ld »

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:17:38 AM »
Hah, good to know :D

"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:46:55 AM »
Ugh. If this be true (i have never set foot on their forums.) It further saddens me. What a cowardly lot.  :-\
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:30:42 AM »
This already looks great! What engine is being used? What language is the code being written in? How were the models created?

It would be great (in different ways) if English wasn't such a big hurdle for Imp. Give him a lesson or two, MrGray. ;)

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +25/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
I must say that i am impressed. It walks, it shoots and the single mech has a sexy design. Because I never modded/programmed myself, I don't know how much work this is. To takle this task alone...

LOL I opened a thread about this on the OFF TOPIC section of MWO Italian forum, and MWO mods removed it when they noticed that people liked it.  ;D

Strange thing, because the thread about Star Citizen in the same section is still ongoing (and it's even the only active thread in the whole Italian forum!!), but they don't seem to care about that..

They where pissed about the gold mech comment ;-).

Offline ELH_Sudibor

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-8
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:37:45 AM »

LoL  ;D
PGI amuses me.
NBT-HC ELH

Offline ELH_MrGray

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
I think Imp gonna join as here soon. For now will answer some questions.

@thEClaw
It is Unity Engine, free version as far as i know. Models are handmade by Imp himself, code language is english\unity i guess.
@Chezzar
Project started year and a half ago, free time single person coding game development method :D

"What's it sound like?"
"RAPERAPERAPERAPE."

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »
[Don't worry, it's set as not listed. If you want me to remove it, just tell me]
I need to thank you for this. It's good to have a video with demonstration of all game-elements, so please don't remove it. I'll add it to FAQ.

I'm afraid they don't hate me as much as I hate them. If there link to ELH forum were posted, they just decide it's some fishing site to steal passwords. mwomercs-dot-net looks almost like mwomercs-dot-com. And I think this fish hates fishing.

This already looks great! What engine is being used? What language is the code being written in? How were the models created?
I use Unity engine 4.3.somedigit, it can be scripted with C#, Unity Script (some kind of wrapper for same internal classes with syntax of JS) and Boo (Python like language for .net and mono environments). I'm prefer C# without any specific reason. Maybe because it well documented.
Models created with Wings3D and animated in Blender. I never make models for games, so it's just all what I still remember since NBT-HC times. They still have this cool guide. But personally I want to move away from Wings3d and do all modeling stuff (except drawing textures) in Blender.

I must say that i am impressed. It walks, it shoots and the single mech has a sexy design. Because I never modded/programmed myself, I don't know how much work this is. To takle this task alone...
More learning than work. I was never involved in production process of games before, whole my "portfolio" consists of two web-blogs (made with Python+Django) and one ugly Cyclops model, which I made in 2006.

It would be great (in different ways) if English wasn't such a big hurdle for Imp. Give him a lesson or two, MrGray. ;)
Hope you still don't need a doctor to treat bleeding eyes.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
The fact that the Cyclops model is ugly does not stem from you having made it but from the Cyclops being a fugly machine.

edit:
*watched movie*
dude . . you made that? o.O
All of it? O.o
ALONE? O.O
Holy Crap Dude! o.o
Mighty impressive that.
I was expecting something like a bit better looking MegaMek or something like Mech-Commander but that?
That's close to what MekTek managed to produce as a team effort over several Months or so!
Even a kind of AI/Bot already included . .
Very nice. Needs some polishing of course, but eh, that's to be expected, exactly like the engrish Problems.
Seeing how even some native english speakers have problems with that language from time to time, it's still pretty good . .

Also:
*snickers at the Gold Mech Comment*

Furthermore:
Nice touch with the Poster on the left inside Wall of the Cockpit XD

And:
I WANT THAT POSTER NOW!
GIMME!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:45:12 PM by Stahlseele »
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »
I use Unity engine 4.3.somedigit, it can be scripted with C#, Unity Script (some kind of wrapper for same internal classes with syntax of JS) and Boo (Python like language for .net and mono environments). I'm prefer C# without any specific reason. Maybe because it well documented.
Models created with Wings3D and animated in Blender. I never make models for games, so it's just all what I still remember since NBT-HC times. They still have this cool guide. But personally I want to move away from Wings3d and do all modeling stuff (except drawing textures) in Blender.
Interesting. I started learning Blender a couple of months ago (guess what I created and why ;) ), but I had a lot of trouble getting my model into the engine I decided to go with (the one used by ArmA3). I wrote down a couple of ideas and concepts for the game mechanics, but I had not yet thought about making the switches inside the cockpit functional. I love the way you realized that. :) I hope you won't restrict yourself too much to Battletech-mechanics, since many of them are outdated and a little unfit for computer games.

More learning than work. I was never involved in production process of games before, whole my "portfolio" consists of two web-blogs (made with Python+Django) and one ugly Cyclops model, which I made in 2006.
Everybody starts out small, I hope you get something good going here. :) Do you have any more or less extensive programming experience? Try to make the base for this as solid and structured as possible, and maybe - hopefully - it will go somewhere. :)

Hope you still don't need a doctor to treat bleeding eyes.
Not at all! I just mentioned it because it would be a shame if this work of yours was buried in a Russian forum where I (and many others) couldn't keep up with it ;). You mentioned that it took you a lot of time to translate things to English, and I hope you continue to be willing to spend that time.

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
This looks great, I have seen DCS games and wondered how cool it would be to have a mech type one with switches to flick and keys to turn :D

Best of luck with it in the future and the translation is very much appreciated!

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
dude . . you made that? o.O
All of it? O.o
ALONE? O.O
I used 3rd party freeware stuff for leg IK, pack of walls and a little piece of steering algorithms. Also engine is made by big crew. So I can't say I made this alone. A lot of people did great work to make me able do mine.

I WANT THAT POSTER NOW!
GIMME!
And yeah. I steal this poster, and author didn't know about that. I know it's not right.
Anyway. Highest resolution possible.

but I had a lot of trouble getting my model into the engine I decided to go with (the one used by ArmA3).
Unity have support for native Blender format (.blend) so it simple and easy to import models in engine. And as far as I know Blender just can't into most flexible format .fbx, which defacto game industry standart until you need to obfuscate your game data.

Do you have any more or less extensive programming experience?
As I say mostly web experience. But yeah, I learn something about OOP, algorithms and complexity. And it really help to avoid mistakes like radar which check each target in cycle every frame.

You mentioned that it took you a lot of time to translate things to English, and I hope you continue to be willing to spend that time.
Best of luck with it in the future and the translation is very much appreciated!
I'll try my best, guys. Thx for support. SY this time tomorrow, I'm going to bring bug fixes and updates.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:25:18 PM by ELH_Imp »

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
This looks like it has a lot of promise.  Maybe at this point you should start building a team to keep things rolling. 

It needs a name though.  Stay away from already established IPs and you should be fine.  Good luck, I'm gonna keep my eye on this. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)