Author Topic: Independent mech game project.  (Read 21988 times)

Offline [CW] CyclonerM

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • MechWarrior CyclonerM, Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy
    • www.clan-wolf.info
Re: Independent mech game project.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »
It needs a name though.  Stay away from already established IPs and you should be fine.  Good luck, I'm gonna keep my eye on this. :)

"MechWorrior" should be fine  :P
Nah seriously if it was my game i would have challenged the system by naming it something like "MechWarrior: Rebirth" or something like that. His choice, though.

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Nah seriously if it was my game i would have challenged the system by naming it something like "MechWarrior: Rebirth" or something like that. His choice, though.
"Mechwarrior: Download" and nobody ever will found it. Even PGI lawyers.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 04:56:14 PM »
Actually the thread on MWO Italian OT forum wasn't removed by PGI...as I read here (Thanks Cycloner for reposting it), a random (not so random actually, I know him...) MWOfag reported it because I wrote "better than what 40 dumbs did in 2 years". The problem is: I just mentioned 40 random dumbs, I didn't mention PGI directly, and apparently that guy, blinded by his love for MWO, didn't notice it and did the report :)
[in few words: OMG 1 GUY SAID PGI DEVS ARE DUMB REPORT HIM NOW!i!i!]

Anyway, actually my video does not show all features like horizontal target stabilization or 3PV (!!!), but I can make another one, if you want.

BTW, as soon as I have time I'll write some suggestions I got for your game (in ELH forum, don't want them to get lost in this thread)

Idea for the name: MCS (Mech Combat Simulator)  :)

or maybe TCS (Tactical Combat Simulator) - if you are going to add tanks and other stuff
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:18:35 PM by Starch1ld »

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »
I like TCS or MCS :D

Is there another link to download it from? I tried the one up there from MWO.net and it didn't seem to work :(

I look forward to seeing it develop :D

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »
Minor updates here. Direct link to download.
Most important part - some additions to pathfinding algorithm, wich helps calculate path and continue movement even if target point is not appropriate position for bot. Next week it will help me to start building ability of AI to make movement decisions and fight with other bots and player. Hope I can make all stuff necessary for combat on primitive level, and then advance each part separately.

Anyway, actually my video does not show all features like horizontal target stabilization or 3PV (!!!), but I can make another one, if you want.
It good enough, I just can't ask for more. And yeah 3PV... It is here for testing purposes, and bugy like hell. Anyway, I don't think it will be usefull in game with necessary pilot - cockpit interaction.

BTW, as soon as I have time I'll write some suggestions I got for your game (in ELH forum, don't want them to get lost in this thread)
Idea for the name: MCS (Mech Combat Simulator)  :)
or maybe TCS (Tactical Combat Simulator) - if you are going to add tanks and other stuff
Name is ok. Maybe I need to make it a little bit different to stay away from existant IPs, but after all I don't want to make often mistake of newbie-devs and give some vague name to my game, which never tells what this game is about. And mech combat is what about this game.
It's just too early to discuss tanks and other unit types, 'cause I'm for sure want add it in my game, but first of all I need to focus and made something like raw alpha. So all of you can test and taste gameplay. After this keystone everything is possible, but I'm still far from reaching it.
And I'm waiting for your suggestions.

Is there another link to download it from? I tried the one up there from MWO.net and it didn't seem to work :(
Link in this post should be okay. But if you have troubles with it, I can upload archive to another web-service.

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Don't get lost in the AI-part. That is a whole science for itself, maybe later on you will find somebody to help you who really knows about that. A rudimentary implementation is probably good enough for now. (By the way: Is the AI done in some kind of decently modular script language or is it hard-coded?)
If you can, make the game use one (or several) processor cores specifically for AI. Since you will probably need quite a bit more time, everybody might be running 12-core-CPUs once you are done - anticipate and use that to your advantage.^^

At which point will you give more thought to accepting help?

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
Took your mech on a spin...I like the smaller scale of the mech (smaller than BT mechs),  the recoil of the PPC and the general response to the controls. And I love your jumpjets. The mech don't stop after landing, and you can change direction while in the air.
I think the biggest task now is the implemention of a damage system. And multiplayer.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Pretty interesting work. Do you have a basic idea of what you want to incorporate into your single player experience? ie story, game style (horde waves, story missions etc)

Obviously best name would be "Warrior Mech" :D

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:04 PM »
I did a "save target as" on the link and that seems to be working ok :)

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »
Another thing i noticed...if walking on a slope, the feet of the mech are correctly aligned to the ground. It also bents the knee of the highter foot more to compensate. Thumps up for this:-)

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Don't get lost in the AI-part. That is a whole science for itself, maybe later on you will find somebody to help you who really knows about that. A rudimentary implementation is probably good enough for now.
My target is best possible implementation of every feature. Not ideal, I'm not some kind of perfectionist, but feature must be good enough to look like professional work. So I spent as much time as it necessary to make solid AI. Anyway bots will be stupid, and I will have to give opposite side better mechs and equipment to chalange player. But at least I want my bots to walk without constant collisions with everything and fallings in every pit. I want them to move together, use their radars and shot at their enemy, not each other.
And I have guy to help me with, his name Alex J. Champandard. I have his book, so he teach me everything soon or not.

(By the way: Is the AI done in some kind of decently modular script language or is it hard-coded?)
It's hard coded in terms of possibility to edit it without source project files. But inside project it looks like system of three modules. Each vehicle or character type has basic "machine spirit" (yeah, like in WH40k). It contains info about vehicle abilities and specs, and do calculation based on second part. Second part is hierarchical steering algorithm. It returns movement vector based on bot needs, how to keep distance from other bot, which direction to move to reach rally point etc. And last part is bot brain, it not buried under low-level operations like speed calculations, but instead it makes decisions: where to move, which target to shoot. And this part rigth now is more placeholder than actual working module. Movement is ok, targeting need to be tested by combat, but I don't see any targeting tasks which I can't solve. But bot completly can't do anything without direct command or other motivation ("this thing going to ram me, oops, need to run away"). They remind me pigeons on roads in park.

At which point will you give more thought to accepting help?
Right now I'm planing:
  • Finish AI. Finish like other parts. Make it acceptable, and continue polishing in later updates.
  • Add some damage model.
  • Rework internal systems and cockpit controls for something more usefull and less unintuitive (more intuitive)
  • Maybe piece of internal weapons framework, 'cause now weapons is just hardcoded placeholders, and this code makes my heart suffer every time when I accidentaly see it.
  • HUD-part of two previous tasks.
  • Then I will add some bad but textured models for mech and cockpit.
  • Call this mess pre-alpha
  • Make new plan
Somewhere (when?) between 6. and 7. I will start to realize how to properly make models for my game. So it's point you searching for. But I can't promise anything. Modelers usual wants concepts, and artists ask for design decisions. And I'm not leader, more autistic guy who randomly press buttons and sometimes get working pieces of code.

I think the biggest task now is the implemention of a damage system. And multiplayer.
Damage system is not really big deal. If you not mean something like WoT of WT with armor-shell angle calculations, penetrations and hitboxes for every internal component. Anyway I'm not planing something like WoT. It may sound sexy for mech game, but I'm not sure if it fits in exsitant game-design. Mechs already have parts which can be damaged separately and have different functions. So another layer of details may be a little excessive.
Multiplayer is BIG deal. And it all I can say about right now.

Pretty interesting work. Do you have a basic idea of what you want to incorporate into your single player experience? ie story, game style (horde waves, story missions etc)
I want something like MW1/MW2:mercs. Plus I have concept of short campaings, three of four missions, when between combat situations you can't just go to mech-market to buy new toys, and have restricted by your tech-team skills ability to repair and rearm mechs. So instead of driving onward your brand new shiny custom, you will try to get as much salvage as possible and put it in your vehicles to keep it working somehow no matter how far it from your vision of perfect custom.
But I have a lot of thing to do, before it starts to be not only concept.

I did a "save target as" on the link and that seems to be working ok :)
Glad to hear it.

Offline Kelmola

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +62/-1
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 11:22:34 PM »
It needs a name though.  Stay away from already established IPs and you should be fine.  Good luck, I'm gonna keep my eye on this. :)
RoboWarrior: 42nd Century Warfare should do nicely. Featuring Central Powers fighting against the Allies (and both against each other) in their never-ending Dissolution Wars to determine who has the rights to rule known space as the continuator of the long-gone Stellar Union. Feast your eyes on the never-before-seen BattleRobos such as Sledgehammer, Raider, and Marksman, feel the might of the skull-headed Titan, bury your opponents with the Scotsman, be the bane of Central Powers in your Wildcat, and last but not least, defy the odds with the indomitable CityRobo! ;D

(sorry, got a bit carried away...)

Offline Chezzar

• Lance Captain
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »
RoboWarrior: 42nd Century Warfare should do nicely. Featuring Central Powers fighting against the Allies (and both against each other) in their never-ending Dissolution Wars to determine who has the rights to rule known space as the continuator of the long-gone Stellar Union. Feast your eyes on the never-before-seen BattleRobos such as Sledgehammer, Raider, and Marksman, feel the might of the skull-headed Titan, bury your opponents with the Scotsman, be the bane of Central Powers in your Wildcat, and last but not least, defy the odds with the indomitable CityRobo! ;D

(sorry, got a bit carried away...)

lol...Sledghammer, Scotsman and ... INDOMITABLE CITYROBO (with camoflage module as trashcan?) :-)

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 06:06:54 AM »
Makes me wonder why PiGgIe never made the Urbie.  They would have made a mint.  Heck they put the crappy Locust in, and the Flea.   ::) ::)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 08:10:03 AM »
My target is best possible implementation of every feature. Not ideal, I'm not some kind of perfectionist, but feature must be good enough to look like professional work.
That sounds good. But sometimes a well done placeholder is a great idea.

But at least I want my bots to walk without constant collisions with everything and fallings in every pit. I want them to move together, use their radars and shot at their enemy, not each other.
Sounds like the best 'Mech-AI any game has ever had.^^

And I'm not leader, more autistic guy who randomly press buttons and sometimes get working pieces of code.
You must have had quite the lucky streak of button presses! ;)

Mechs already have parts which can be damaged separately and have different functions. So another layer of details may be a little excessive.
The layers might be necessary if you want to account for internal damage. Will you just go with the Battletech 'Mech-sections we all know or will you think about a mechanic that's a littler more detailed?

Multiplayer is BIG deal. And it all I can say about right now.
The mechanisms to counteract a players ping get quite complex, and some of them have to be taken into account pretty early if you don't want to redo big sections of your game. It wouldn't hurt if you already had a rough idea of what things you are planning to build into your game, might help in the long run.