Author Topic: Why is there no "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter" MMO?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
Why is there no "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter" MMO?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
Seriously, this just occured to me. After World of Tanks, Star citizen and Elite: Dangerous making millions of dollars and creating huge waves in the online gaming scene, how come there is no game that recreates the financial and gameplay model of World of Tanks in the Star Wars universe? Even it would be just a mediocre cash-grab like many consider MWO to be, I imagine it would still be a huge success based on the franchise alone. Heck, even the Fantasy Flight game "X-Wing" is a smash hit with new expansions coming out years after it's initial release.

Opinions? Is SW licensed to companies that have no interest in such a project?

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-5
Re: Why is there no "X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter" MMO?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:47:31 PM »
Disney owns Star Wars now and they don't seem to all that interested in games.

The only SW game in active development that I'm aware of is Battlefront, which is in EAs hands now, so look forward to microtransaction and DLC galore.

But I can't see how a WoT like model would work with SW anyway, I don't think there's enough factions and fighters for that kind of progression model.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 05:47:09 AM »
There was gonna be some sort of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter "MMO" thing called Attack Squadrons. No one really knows why they closed it, I'm guessing they just weren't getting enough initial funding for their free-to-play model. As such, pre-release stuff looked pretty bad - the vehicle models looked like they hadn't progressed since X Wing Alliance, which is justifiable considering they were gonna make it browser-based, but the gameplay was some 3rd person mouse aim bullshit like War Thunder/Star Conflict so it wasn't getting anything from me and a lot of other proper X Wing/Tie Fighter fans.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »

But I can't see how a WoT like model would work with SW anyway, I don't think there's enough factions and fighters for that kind of progression model.

"Where there's money to be made, there's alway a ways" ;)

They would at least have Imperials, Rebels and Bounty Hunters, maybe some other criminal smuggling organisation like the Hutts or something (I wonder how the ships they fit in would look like :D )

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Factions would kind of depend on the timeline...
Would it start with ships from Ep1-3, then pure Imperial/Rebel factions wouldn't make much sense.
At the same time, you couldn't really throw these early craft in with the Ep4-6 fighters.

And while I know the the Imperium had a whole weird range of TIE variants made up for it, mostly for games, what do the Rebels have?
X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing... Anything else that's of note?

Also, how much would it take from the EU when there's a new trilogy about to start?

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:10 AM »
Don't blame this on Disney. This is a problem LucasArts created for themselves. Anyway, Disney actually *is* giving the series a little love; GOG will be re-releasing X-Wing and TIE Fighter (the Windows 95 versions) tomorrow.

Plus, don't ask for this game right now; an original X-Wing game would probably fall under EA's license. You don't want them touching that. The best bet is a mod of Star Citizen, honestly.

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »
Don't blame this on Disney. This is a problem LucasArts created for themselves. Anyway, Disney actually *is* giving the series a little love; GOG will be re-releasing X-Wing and TIE Fighter (the Windows 95 versions) tomorrow.

Plus, don't ask for this game right now; an original X-Wing game would probably fall under EA's license. You don't want them touching that. The best bet is a mod of Star Citizen, honestly.

HWOOOAH YEAH ID BE SO EXCITED IF I DIDN'T STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL DISKS, YEAH
Any word on any other SW titles?
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »

Not exactly sure what problems LucasArts created for themselves.

But hey, Disney allowing the re-release old stuff on GoG, woohoo, great.
Too bad they dropped 1313 when shutting down LucasArts though...

Offline Knightcrawler

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +39/-0
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
LucasArts had a lot of problems. The main ones were constant changes in leadership and George occasionally sticking his head in, commenting, then coming back 6 months later and telling everyone he's changed his mind. IMO it was also a problem when they stopped trying to seriously develop for PC back in the early 2000's. There were also a lot of projects that were dropped, but those can be chalked up to the earlier two projects. I'd have loved to play that Indiana Jones game they were working on...

As far as other Star Wars games go, some are available on Steam. Some have been made available on GOG (but they were already on Steam). X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and X-Wing: Alliance will hopefully come if XW and TF do well. Rebellion? Force Commander? Yoda's Stories? The original Battlefront (only 2 is available on Steam)? Who knows.

And sure I have a lot of these games, but GOG makes them easier to play on modern computers, and more convenient.

BTW X-Wing and TIE Fighter include BOTH major versions of the game: the original releases (probably the CD-ROM version, but I haven't tried yet) AND the 1998 remakes. Both are good, but if you prefer one over another, there you have it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:14:29 AM by Knightcrawler »

Offline Askis

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:05:50 AM »
I've still got the 1994 X-Wing Collectors Edition sitting in a box somewhere^^
Will have to pick up TIE-Fighter though.

I wish I still had a joystick for these games :/