Author Topic: DBZ:Xenoverse.  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
DBZ:Xenoverse.
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »
So has anyone else been playing this? I bought it for myself as I was a fan of the show in my teens (I still am now I suppose, never been a massive fan of animues with a few noticeable exceptions blah blah blah) and I thoroughly enjoyed the Budokai series of games on the PS2 (the first and third ones being my favourites in the series).

I've had it a couple of days now and have found it to be a very enjoyable beat em up, again another genre of games that aren't the highest on my list but have generally found fun (many, many seaside holidays spent on piers in their arcade, getting my ass virtually kicked by kids who's parents rented out some floorspace on the pier to have yet another arcade. Ah those were the days, I properly miss actual arcades. Now days they're basically all filled with fairly low prize money slot machines so they can be played by kids, it's only over 18 from a certain amount of money onwards or something idk). The story is reasonable, the 2D animated parts are quite nice, though I do think they should have done a ten minute or so animated intro to make it more compelling at drawing you into the game. You play as a customised character who is wished there by the version of Trunks from the Cell games Saga basically to give them a hand being time police and the way it was presented in the trailer made it seem far more like an act of desperation, rather than it being pretty much the first thing to happen.

The combat system is fairly intuitive, it feels like a blend of some of the older games and keeps the large scale destructible environments (though not quite as destructible as I would like personally, large building/objects don't appear to be destroyable for instance and impact craters heal themselves way too fast). A large variety in moves and special abilities that help you out, you're limited to four special moves and super special moves respectively but there's still plenty of room for different playing styles, I for example have two support skills equipped (Kaioken x3 and Ki charging) mixed in with a short ranged but chargeable energy blast and a heavy impact melee combo.

The story sees your character working under Trunk's guidance in a time police (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zr_C74DQU) type of organisation fixing points in the Dragon Ball Z/GT/Movies time line that have gone awry due to some unseen (I won't say whom as I've only really just got to that point in the story, it's all online if you want to know) influences messing things up. So this places you in some of the key moments of the history as well as some entertaining what if sort of situations.

The game is a very decent port imo with none of the problems that seem to plague games developed for multiplatform release in recent years. The graphics are nice, but nothing to rant or rave about, it does however work quite well with GeDoSaTo allowing you to downsample it to quite a large degree that seems to get rid of the jaggies as well as tone down on the roughness of the slight cell shaded elements of the graphics. Instructions on how to do so can be found here at the bottom of the page: http://steamcommunity.com/app/323470/discussions/0/617328967248248750/ and a gallery of the game in action whilst downsampled can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/8JAJw

Overall I've found the game to be a lot of fun in it's own right. My own personal nostalgia for both the series and the previous fighting games on the PS2 may have coloured my opinions slightly, but I can't imagine anyone that enjoys a well rounded and varied beat em up to turn their nose up at it. I'd give it three wet kisses and a dry peck on the cheek.

Oh and if anyone wants to give me a game/needs an assist (I forgot to mention that missions can be completed online via lobby sort of system, so it's not just straight deathmatches for the multiplayer) shoot me a pm. My internet has been utter shit as of late (speaking of which I know you messaged me on Steam Altessa, if you read this I never got a chance to see what it said, nor obviously to be able to reply to you. So don't take it as me ignoring you aight?) so I'm having a few problems being in a position to play it online currently, but it's certainly something I'd like to give a punt with some fellow idiots.

So yeah, give your general impressions, feel free to ask questions, the usual. Oh and sorry if the formatting of this post is all titted up, I'm having to post it via my mobile and my 3G keeps giving out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:21:29 PM by Bill »

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: DBZ:Xenoverse.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:09:43 AM »
It's an amazing game, even as a stand-alone fighter/rpg without the Dragonball Z title.
Just plain fun. I'll play with you.

I only have a couple gripes so far though. One is the stickiness of the camera. Having to lock onto people and have that stupid reticle over them kinda irks me. Especially when you have to flip between multiple enemies and at the most inconvenient times it unlocks and your ultimate spews off in some random direction. I wish it was more of an Arkham-type camera with a checkbox to auto-lock on the nearest badguy instead of having to cycle through everyone to retarget the closest dude who is stunlocking you (eat ass Yamcha).

Also, their servers are shittastic and seemed to have been purchased with the assumption that maybe 12 people at most would play because the malnourished hamsters can't seem to stay running. I can't seem to get a reasonable, stable connection to the online lobby, nor do games I join seem to last without a disconnect. Once they stabilize the multiplayer I can see the game being a crapton of fun in terms of replay value with the arena and PQ co-op.

The last things which are very minor issues is the lack of run/fly/speed powers in the lobby zone. RP Walking through the city is tiresome and spawning you a minute walk from the kiosks after every mission gets old. Also the scouter being pretty much pointless for scanning characters since your movement speeds drops to nil and your Field of View gets neutered. It's really only useful for scanning materials, but due to the focal length even that is kinda retarded.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 01:38:02 PM »
Yeah I agree with most of your negative points with the exception of the camera one really, I'm not saying it's not annoying or anything, it's just sensible to me and causes you to be a lot more target concious.

The servers are woeful though most certainly, especially given I've only played the game in single player mode. Having to connect to a validation server or whatever it is just to have other player's characters float about in my game as NPCs is something I could do without really. I don't need to see my 33rd Mystic Gohan of the day really. It's a shame that carries over to the actual MP side though, but still I'm sure it's something they will remedy as everything else about the port has been fantastic, I guess like you said they weren't expecting it to be quite so popular on the PC.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 11:55:04 AM »
Update on the server front:

Attention Dragon Ball XENOVERSE players!
Toki Toki City has been overflowing with your custom characters during our first week of release and we’re very excited to share the Dragon Ball world with all of you! Some players have reported difficulties connecting to the Dragon Ball XENOVERSE servers to enjoy the online features of the game.
We worked tirelessly to address the server issues so that everyone can have a smooth experience both on and offline and we are on the way to fix it!
So a server update will be pushed today (March 4th 2015) to apply the changes:
- Japan - 20:30 PM to 00:30 AM JST
- Europe - 12:30 to 16:30 CET
- North America - 3:30 AM to 7:30 AM PST

We will continue to provide updates on the official Steam forums and the official Dragon Ball Games Facebook page to keep you updated.

If you are having issues connecting to the servers and wish to play completely offline, that is an option. Disabling your internet connection before starting the game will boot the game into Offline Mode. We understand that this is not an acceptable fix and will continue to provide updates on the Dragon Ball XENOVERSE server stability.

Thank you for your patience!

Better than nothing I guess, it's been quite annoying not being able to play even on my own.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
I didn't know I could connect to the game without being online. Nice.
Glad they're fixing the servers though, having to connect to a server to play offline or online was getting old.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »
Tell me about it, reminded me of early steam validation days.

Offline Draekros

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Beware the Undead Ninja Wabbits...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
I've been playing this on Steam since it launched... really enjoying it, except the server issues! Really hope they sort that shit out!
Once you have SSJ/SSJ2 though, the game becomes pretty easy in most cases (with Maximum charge) with Ultimate Spam... Still finishing up the Bardock/Brolly story quests... they're actually pretty gnarley... the enemies actually don't die in 1-2 ultimate attacks. I pretty much can keep my Super Vegeta 2 power up going for a whole mission... unlimited ki attacks is a little OP  ;)

12th Vegan Rangers. Beta Regiment.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »
I played online with someone that had it and all they did was spam their ultimate attacks, basically it was seriously lame. I won't be using any of the super sayan style transformations (uncertain if you're able to with a human character at any rate) as I find the combat system engaging enough to not want to play on easy mode really.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 11:23:20 PM »
I have my preorder SSJ4 Vegeta and I spam the shit out of my powers because it looks awesome.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:26:39 PM »
I won't be using any of the super sayan style transformations (uncertain if you're able to with a human character at any rate) .

You can't go SS as human but you can use the Kaioken on all races which uses Stamina instead of Ki. It's only worth it if you spec out to have a shitload of stamina and some stamina regen abilities. I don't use either on my custom character because I have no points in stamina. I can use SS, and will probably get it once I finish that questline.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
I already use Kaioken *20, but basically use it so I can break guard really easily and tbh it's not even terrible news running out of stamina as the dodge mechanics outside of magic teleport mode are fairly decent.

I have my preorder SSJ4 Vegeta and I spam the shit out of my powers because it looks awesome.

Well that's the best advertisement for me not wanting to play with you that you could have mustered, well done.

It's a little annoying as the only two other characters that I really want to get access to, Kid Goku and Roshi (I like Dragonball more, sue me) are only going to be via DLC. I'll still potentially get it, but idk man, feels kinda wrong, I sure as shit won't be pre ordering them though.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 07:20:47 PM »

Well that's the best advertisement for me not wanting to play with you that you could have mustered, well done.

[/quote]

Thank you. I do my very best to rage and disgust those around me every chance I get.

Regardless, I see it as a free, max-ki level 80, which makes some of the stupest PQs possible solo as I never play with real people anyway. When I get a few more powers that I want I'll use my character a bit more outside of the main quest. Got the Super Sayian Vegeta Power on the first try last night so I have that going for me, which is nice.