Author Topic: MWLL Alt. Online Launcher (Local UDP Forwarder)  (Read 15378 times)

Offline DeimosEvotec

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
Re: MWLL Alt. Online Launcher (Local UDP Forwarder)
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 12:36:03 AM »
Okay, if anybody is still having problems with password protected server like I had, especaily when the console tells you sv_password ... is an unknown command :/

Then do the following:
Try to join the server like you would normaly with Bruno's tool, you will get the error because you entered no password, go to multiplayer, then local network game, then connect to ip and enter 127.0.0.1:64100 and the password of the server, click connect and it should work.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
(...) There are ISP that altogether filter out UDP as "dangerous" traffic  ::) <- :o

and there seems to be issues with some wireless links/routes that too seem to strip UDP for some strange reason ???.

That is the sole reason I mentioned the IP masquerade option in the first place:
occasions where there is on UDP pass trough  :o

Yes i know this world is a strange place (...)

Whatever you're describing, you're not going in enough detail for me to acknowledge any of those issues, or you don't realise what is UDP or where it's used.
Easy way to refute your argument: Crysis/MWLL uses UDP for communication with the server. I'm not adding any extra layer, merely redirecting traffic through the same protocol. I'd say I'm adding an extra hop to the communication before the UDP packet departs to the server or the client receives it.

The reason to use the hosts file/third-party Gamespy emulation wouldn't be because of UDP issues/crippled traffic, rather the convenience of having the ingame server browser working and other issues I point out in my post post of this thread.

@DeimosEvotec, apparently you might need con_restricted 0 for the console to recognize that command.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:57:37 AM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" ©okaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +22/-19
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:55 PM »
@Bruno_007,
i stand corrected as for the way this game works (my bad :-\).

The UDP issueof mine is a strange resume of an business affair in a small firm i worked for (SOHO support and consulting firm) that ended after lots of try & error. We found some small ISP just filter UDP as the easy way vs right way of doing things  ???

The game, OTOH, browses servers with TCP/IP and the games is "played" by ways of UDP, right?

Where Your tool does the TCP part and then launches the game bound to loop-back host address.

This reliefs the game itself of any DNS/TCP
While "piping" it's UDP locally back to Your (calling) program

effectively cutting the game from the internet :o altogether :o

the 8) proxy 8) way

am i right?

I just didn't understand before, that the game uses UDP for the Match-part.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
Okay, if anybody is still having problems with password protected server like I had, especaily when the console tells you sv_password ... is an unknown command :/

Then do the following:
Try to join the server like you would normaly with Bruno's tool, you will get the error because you entered no password, go to multiplayer, then local network game, then connect to ip and enter 127.0.0.1:64100 and the password of the server, click connect and it should work.
is there a way to put inject 8) that into the console's command history, so one could just ^ (cursor up) and hit enter?
I know BASH can do it  ;)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »
Service                              Hostname                                                    Type  Local    Remote
Server:
hbmaster3                         crysiswars.available.gamespy.com             UDP   Any      27900
natserver1                         natneg1.gamespy.com                                UDP  game    27901
natserver2                         natneg2.gamespy.com                                UDP  game    27901
nat neg                              Game client                                                 UDP  game    game*
hbmaster3                         crysiswars.master.gamespy.com                UDP  game    27900
Incoming queries               Game client                                                 UDP  game    Any
keymaster                          key.gamespy.com                                       UDP  game    29910
Stats auth                          crysiswars.auth.pubsvs.gamespy.com       TCP   Any       Any (def:443)
Stats                                  crysiswars.comp.pubsvs.gamespy.com     TCP   Any       Any (def:80)
Profile settings/stats          crysiswars.sake.gamespy.com                   TCP   Any       Any (def:80)

*Default value for 'game' is 64100 (can be adjusted).
For incoming UDP traffic, only port "game" (default 64100) is required to be opened.

You could say the game definitely uses UDP for everything. :P
Ok wasn't aware of issues with UDP comms. The only thing I've read about, and that someone in these forums were noticing, was that some routers didn't like really big UDP packets that the server sent when it was close to full.

Well, there's no TCP part as you can see now. I do launch the game bound to loopback address. This is detected as a LAN server, and Crysis Wars does not attempt to do Gamespy stuff. Therefore, I establish a direct connection with the server. No Gamespy authentications beforehand.
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
the main issue being the nature of udp itself:
it has no transmission control bound to protocol it self
the name stands for User Datagram Protocol
where TCP stands for Transmission Control Protocol (it's all in the name)

UDP being blind for terms like time window, fragmentation, re transmission, de-fragmentation,
 relies blindly on ISP best effort, sometimes we know how it ends...  ::)
 Small packets get some precedence,
UDP, being "blind" gets some precedence
but big UDP datagramms usually get the "bulk" class on filters and get delayed badly (lag-shield armor :o)
FWIW

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
You sacrifice potentially losing packets (be it in your network, your local ISP's network, or a problem somewhere in the packet travel route, and this in general be it UDP or TCP, but TCP will inherently be aware of the packet it lost) but you have the benefit of being able to carry more data with less latency. By stripping that TCP stuff UDP has less overhead, that's why it's preferred for real time stuff and when losing packets won't be a problem. You can stuff more data into one packet and using custom algorithms you can establish the control you want, so I can see why it's used on Crysis games.

A curiosity:

QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connection)
(...) is an experimental transport layer[1] network protocol designed by Jim Roskind[2] at Google (...) over User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and was designed to provide security protection equivalent to TLS/SSL, along with reduced connection and transport latency, and bandwidth estimation in each direction to avoid congestion.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 12:42:53 PM by Bruno_007 »
Tools and I:

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 11:42:16 PM »
That's true to current implementations of both protocols:
-showing both bad implementations (of both sides)
-and excellent utilization of them by more competent people
 :-\
in my view, what Chrome did to browsing showed just how TCP can be brought to speed by means of (knowledgeable) tweaking the parameters.

Offline Chakra

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2015, 03:50:09 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've got 2 issues here that I need some expert advise on and only one of them seems to be related to the alt. launcher:

1) How do I get my own server to appear in the app server list; and

2) When I host my own server on one of the PCs in the house, my main mwll install on the gaming pc crashes with the message "some files have been modified" (message displayed inside the game interface, after which the game proper crashes) when I try connecting to any of the servers in the app's list. This issue is absolutely certainly confirmed to be related to the server that I am hosting on the same home network, since not even reinstalling mwll solves the issue as long as its running and the issue disappears immediately after I shutdown the dedicated server. What can be happening here?

-EDIT

Solved.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:28:28 PM by Chakra »

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
Back to topic.
 ;D
-Bruno, kindest thanks for the 0.8 launcher and the help it provides.

-Also kind thanks for the time it saves desktop to in game (about twice as fast as the OEM launcher)

-A "easy way" for password servers (get somehow password on the front-end and hack it to where it's due)

-The new issue found: Player profile  :o
is there a way to select the wanted player-profile on the front-end?

I use two profiles currently (me and son), and we would love to get the right one from the login?

just my 2c
P.S.
Thanks again for work done so far: i even play Chaos March form Your launcher ;)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »
Hey,

Nice to know the concept proved useful.

-A "easy way" for password servers (get somehow password on the front-end and hack it to where it's due)

Yes, quite possible. After the UI, it's just a matter of passing one more parameter to MWLL at start-up, this time sv_password the_password. :)

-The new issue found: Player profile  :o
is there a way to select the wanted player-profile on the front-end?

I use two profiles currently (me and son), and we would love to get the right one from the login?

Still not sure how I can accomplish that. It's related to the same issue that I listed as a Remark in the main post of this thread: "Currently, when you disconnect from a server and come back it might not remember your cbills and rank;"
And the issue is that MWLL generates a random ID when you connect to a LAN server. This ID is identical to the Gamespy ID, not your profile name. How can I stop it being random? Dunno. But I know what to look for.
Tools and I:

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
"un-random" the profile: :o

get the profile's random "ID" in a front-end's box somewhere (with a comment and a "re-generate button ::))

keep it "persistent" for each app's run only (no disk save)?

Should a user need it across few runs (reboot etc) he just copy/paste it to a notepad file and reboots and copies back?

Possible?

summary:
1. one rotation box for detected user-profiles
2. One input box for server's password (appear after server connect?)
3. One input box with generated random ID and a button to re-generate (maybe even make persistent (save to file) button? ???)
and the tool is ready for beta (or even rcX) release?
Further we would lack only skins for it (do admit it is too "vanilla" for a game ::)) to become 1.0 IMHO

Agree? 8)

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »
Ok I did some quick dabbling around with this and what I thought about is working, to remember your profile.

I like your idea to set it up. Initially, letting you type yours was the type of implementation I was thinking about. But I think there's no purpose for that, other than maybe abusing it to get a profile of an existing player on that server.

I'm gonna import my source code to the newest Visual Studio and see how things behave on that version, to make the new changes here.
Tools and I:

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 01:56:43 AM »
Experimental build: http://brunodemetrio.com.sapo.pt/mwll/MwllLauncher-0.8.1.7z

- game: your cbills and rank are now remembered if you close MWLL and join back (same server and same session);
- ui: certain fields are now saved on a config.xml file;
- ui: minor behaviour changes to the Join Server button;
- dev: new compiling environment.

Will need feedback on the changes from those that have the Gamespy fix installed, because things could break outside my test environment (I only tested with the Gamespy servers down). It's interesting because the login it attempts, at startup, might actually log you too through qtracker, using the credentials that MWLL Alt. Online Launcher passes and not the ones you have saved for automatic login.

I'll leave the other modifications (like password protected servers) for later.
Tools and I:

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
Ok I did some quick dabbling around with this and what I thought about is working, to remember your profile.
looking forward to that  ::)
I like your idea to set it up. Initially, letting you type yours was the type of implementation I was thinking about. But I think there's no purpose for that, other than maybe abusing it to get a profile of an existing player on that server.
Contrary to popular belief, one might want to change it's name not only to harass a person, but also to evade one or to become unknown - to smurf. Despite being frowned upon it is legitimate to do so - and i advise letting this be easy?
I'm gonna import my source code to the newest Visual Studio and see how things behave on that version, to make the new changes here.
well i did download, extract to mod folder and it ain't working  :o
any unknown prerequisites like .NET package or a megalithic dependacy download?  ???
FWIW i use
Code: [Select]
Win7sp1 x86_64 on Xeon-X5460/DDR2
.NET is 4.5
java 8 is existent on machine (due to web)
Adobe flash player
The game and it's vcrun prerequisites (2005) and vcrun 2010[b]x86[/b], 2010x64, 2012x64, 2013x64 (WoW64)
Radeon drivers (15.something) no CCC installed