Author Topic: A General Enquiry ?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline NV.COL JAMES PRYDE

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
A General Enquiry ?
« on: April 18, 2015, 03:58:31 PM »
Hi, I hope posting this here is ok :) My team has begun inception on our project "Mechwarrior: Bloodname" and we are looking for programmers, coders etc. I was wondering if anyone would like to help us out, get started :) Full credit will be given of course

You have done a beautiful job with Mechwarrior: Living Legends, and although I have not played it due to install problems, I am very impressed, as a born and bred Clanner / Mechwarrior fan from an early age, growing up with Mechwarrior 2 actually

Now I and my team have decided to try and create a non commercial fan production game project, strictly single player and offline, inspired by AT1: Battletech.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mechwarrior-Bloodname/637835779686641

Which would be a Clan Point of view game and a mix of Mechwarrior 2 and 3, similar to inspiration of AT1. A Mechwarrior FPS using similar advanced skirmishing Trial set ups, 20 mechs of your choosing on each side, like Mechwarrior 2 instant action trials.

And also a new take on the battletech universe, bringing a RPG element, actually being able to create a character out side your mech to explore the Classic Battletech universe in a separate game mode (Clan Homeworlds, Occupation Zones) learn and fall in love with Battletech all over again, advance your character in your Clan Society, complete challenges.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
Re: A General Enquiry ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
Now I and my team have decided to try and create a non commercial fan production game project, strictly single player and offline, inspired by AT1: Battletech.
You can't do that. PGI got an exclusive license. That's why MWLL has been shut down.
They don't care if you do it for money or not. If your game contains Mechwarrior IP, then they will either sue you or force you to shut it down.

Yeah, this system sucks...it's called "capitalism"

• Bondsman
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 03:59:10 AM »
With respect, then how is Mechwarrior Living Legends still going ?

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:44:33 AM »
pending changes the project is now officially renamed to "BATTLETECH: Bloodname"

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:03:15 AM »
With respect, then how is Mechwarrior Living Legends still going ?

It isn't. Development voluntarily ended to avoid any license disagreements a couple years ago. We're still allowed to distribute what is already there though.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

• Bondsman
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
ah ok thanks

Is anyone interested in helping us with our project ? Full credit will be given of course. Out of respect for MW:LL, we are staying away from the Crysis / Crytek engine

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:01:47 PM »
So far I don't really see what you are going for, what plans exist, not even plans of making plans - just an alarming lack of interest in the legal side of things and a Facebook-page that makes the whole idea seem like a sugar-rush project: Unfocussed, high initial momentum with a high probability of a burnout before even a single line of code has been written.

Sorry for that pessimistic interpretation, please hit me with details (via PM if you'd prefer that). I am going to have some spare time in the future and I wanted to dedicate some of it to create a small game of my own, mostly for fun and practice. Not much more than maybe a thousand work-hours - but if something really interesting cropped up, I might scrap my plans and make myself available to that instead. :)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »
pending changes the project is now officially renamed to "BATTLETECH: Bloodname"
I'm pretty sure that you still need a license if you want to be allowed to use Battletech IP. Even for non-commercial purposes

So far I don't really see what you are going for, what plans exist, not even plans of making plans - just an alarming lack of interest in the legal side of things and a Facebook-page that makes the whole idea seem like a sugar-rush project: Unfocussed, high initial momentum with a high probability of a burnout before even a single line of code has been written.
Pretty much this.

You're not the first one who had the idea of making a new MechWarrior/Battletech game, after PGI showed its lack of competence in making PC games. Even I tried to make some changes to MWLL (and managed to make it way better in some things  :P ).
A personal project is one thing, but distributing it, that's a completely different story, man.

As long as PGI lives, we can do nothing about that. Even if we had enough money to buy a commercial license, that would not be possible, cause PGI's one is an exclusive one, which means that no one else can use that IP.

The only solution, now, is to buy directly PGI...

Offline thEClaw

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +75/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
To be fair, there is another one: Their license will eventually run out. As long as whatever-project-one-comes-up-with is only made public after that date, things should be fine. But last time I heard of it, the date was either in 2018 or 2022. And if MWO continues to sell golden 'Mechs, they may very well extend that contract.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:54 AM »
To be fair, there is another one: Their license will eventually run out. As long as whatever-project-one-comes-up-with is only made public after that date, things should be fine. But last time I heard of it, the date was either in 2018 or 2022. And if MWO continues to sell golden 'Mechs, they may very well extend that contract.
2018, but you know, developers of pay 2 win free to play games will never run out of money.
Plus, the fact that MWO is played mostly by idiots who have more money than brain (source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLqGCjc0CE :D) will not help.

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
What engine will you be using?

What are your, and your team-members skills?

Someone else here is making an indie mech game too: http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20398.msg353429.html#msg353429
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 12:28:40 AM by Bad guy »

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:01:31 PM »
Unless you get a license from Microsoft all your efforts will be for nothing.
Don't touch this IP until it's no longer owned by PGI. You will be shut down, commercial or non-commercial.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline =KoS= Saber15

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +181/-2
  • RIP AND TEAR
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
Unless you get a license from Microsoft all your efforts will be for nothing.
Don't touch this IP until it's no longer owned by PGI. You will be shut down, commercial or non-commercial.

Basically this. Don't touch a franchise until you have a written license from the owner.
With MechWarrior Online around, Microsoft is extremely unlikely to grant licenses.

You can make a Mechwarrior or Battletech inspired game, much like Bioshock was inspired by System Shock, but you cannot make a game set within the BattleTech universe.
"Concentrate on the moment, each moment is its own reality. It has a particular thisness. You can't predict, but you can explain. Or try. If you are observant, and lucky, you can say, this is why this is happening! It's very interesting!"

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »
Just call it Paddletech and make it essentially Mechwarrior but swapped out with anthropomorphic ping pong paddles.

Good to see there's people interested in doing stuff, but if you're looking for help you'd be best off listening to

Get your priorities sorted and your press releases later.

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »
Maybe move this to "Other Gaming", if possible?