Author Topic: Shattered Front - My new game project  (Read 2864 times)

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
Shattered Front - My new game project
« on: April 22, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »

Hi all, you are the first to know that I've begun work on a new game project titled "Shattered Front."  Yes, I have to keep myself from typing Shattered Sphere constantly.
The project is still very early in production, with just myself on the team at the moment (looking for more) and I've been doing research however for a few years as well as learning Unreal Engine 4 since it was released (UE 4 will be the engine we will be using.)

My goal with the game is to create a combined arms game similiar to MWLL, maybe even a spiritual successor if you will, with deep strategic gameplay and customization.  I know MWO, Hawken, and Titan Fall was a let down to many hoping for a game with larger possibilities in strategy, and that is what I hope Shattered Front will provide.  Large maps with lots of strategic options and a diverstiy of vehicles, weapons, and equipment. 
Of course I can't use the Battletech or Mechwarrior IP and I don't intend to do so.  The game will be using our own IP, though one that still has 'mechs playing a predominant role on the battlefield as well as battlearmor, aircraft, and ground vehicles.

I know all this sounds too good to be true.  How on earth can we develop a game with huge maps and a large enough player count? Is the technology there?  Well frankly I don't know.  Throughout development we will have to decide just what our limits are.  I don't know at this time what they will eventually be.  Though I am aiming for a higher technical requirment then many games such as MWO. 
In developing MWLL we surpassed everyone's expectations for what people thought was possible in a mod.  We took a first person shooter and turned it into a 'mech combat game.  We hacked systems together to force the engine to work for us.  Now we have the opportunity to use a clean game engine where anything is possible and I truely believe with the dedication that this commmunity has shown and the hard work that goes with it we can make it happen.

So please join me and get your say in now in how you want the game to be developed!  I've set up a forum just for that purpose and I am in the process of seeding it with idea threads and some thoughts on where I want the design to go.  Please help us as a community create the best combined arms 'mech game that we can!

forum link:
http://shatteredfront.ipbhost.com/

+Level Designer!

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
Re: Shattered Front - My new game project
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:12:51 AM »
sounds good!  :)

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:39:30 AM »
Try finishing Cold Steel first.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:45:46 AM »
Try finishing Cold Steel first.

I don't know what you are talking about.

+Level Designer!

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Well at this point I still think that we need something new here. MWLL is getting old, and thanks to Cr(app)yEngine 2 is still unoptimized as shit.
Maybe we should all focus on creating something brand new, instead of just standing here and waiting until 2018, only to see that PGI will renew their license (and they will, of course, because they're still getting a shitload of money thanks to their useless packages), so that we will still have something new.
We have good gameplay mechanics here in MWLL. The only thing that doesn't let us continuing the project is the IP. Just get rid of it, get rid of Cr(app)y Engine, and there we go, we can start again.

I'm not a programmer, I'm not a coder, I just know that making a game is all but easy. But now it cost nothing to try it... IMP was the only one who tried to do that, and who achieved pretty good results.
He was alone...I wonder what we could achieve if many people could work on a project like this.

I just want to see something new. And I don't want to just stand and wait. As I said, I'm not a coder, but if I can help in any other way, just tell me what I can do.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:45:43 AM by Starch1ld »

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 08:44:36 AM »
If the game is based, seems as mwll - sounds good.)

Will wait: create a combat prototype with a few of each vehicle type.

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
Wildlands

As I stated in a PM you sent me Wildlands was lost on a hard drive failure.  If you have the old version feel free to finish it if you want, I won't have time to do it myself.  Or really the desire the redo all the work that was lost on it.

+Level Designer!

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »
If the game is based, seems as mwll - sounds good.)

Will wait: create a combat prototype with a few of each vehicle type.

That's my plan.  I'm looking for a small group of developers to help create a prototype with basic functionality and one of each vehicle type.  That way we can work out the pipeline and see what works.

+Level Designer!

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +33/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:00:22 PM »
What? Another indie mech game? :o
IMP, Cherno, Capper Deluxe, The Spartan, Tom Cruise, you ... Who's next? Me? ;) ;D ;D

Sounds very good. Nice banner artwork.

Offline Cherno

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-23
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:15:37 AM »
IMP, Cherno, Capper Deluxe, The Spartan, Tom Cruise, you ... Who's next? Me? ;) ;D ;D

Sounds very good. Nice banner artwork.

I'm currently working on a coop dungeon crawler with the terrain alteration of Minecraft, XP and loot system of Skyrim, and the graphic style from Legend of Zelda / 3D Dot Game Heroes (tiny voxels ftw) :)

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 01:51:14 PM »
Any updates on this, death_grin?
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:29:27 PM »

If the CJW project finally gets some steam behind it; you'll want to clamp your arse cheeks together with as much force as you can manage.

It will rape and discard you like a jizzy tissue.

Offline Kh0rn

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +8/-0
  • Atlas : Overkill and nothing less
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:15:20 PM »
I would like to support this but I would really like if we could look into what it could be. Perhaps MWLL 2.0 or hell something to do with Earthsiege.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »
Is death_grin still alive, at least?