Author Topic: War. War never changes.  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: War. War never changes.
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
stronger and universally identifiable female protagonists and characters
'Dead or Alive Xtreme Pinball XXX' 

Do I need to continue?

I mean I'm all for debate but if all you're going to do is pick deliberately ott examples then I guess we're done.  Should I be annoyed at all those Women watching the UK Sherlock for it's complex and weaving plot? People of both sexes do things just for sexual gratification and sexualise members of the opposite sex, oh my!

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 09:29:20 PM »
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Mirror's Edge
Metroid
Gianna Sisters
Homeworld
Sanctum
Invisible Apartment
CrossCode

And those are only the games that I own.  All of them did incredibly well financially. All of them feature a female protagonist.
Anyone who still says "games with female protagonists don't sell" is clearly still living in the Nintendo-influenced 90s.

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
Well furry muff. Oh and for the record I'm not saying there aren't things to get annoyed about, nor am I trying to get on your goat. Just I like playings devil's advocate and that the problems are getting massively blown out of proportion compared to larger (and frankly more important) women's issues  (like FGM) that won't just get carried off in the wake of general social change. I feel bemoaning every issue is somewhat counter productive. People are going to pay less attention to the voices raising the complaints, unfortunate but usually the case.

The Last of Us - Never played, not heard of any controversy besides the one you mentioned earlier, which by the sounds of it was resolved? In at least I don't remember the artwork not having the girl on it.

Tomb Raider - Well this is a massive target in it's own right, is the controversy that the character is very sexualised? It does look like her ganzongas have gotten larger over time, but hey at least their not pyramids any more (unrealistic body image!) heh.

Crypt of the Necrodancer  - I've heard of the game just about, but I've not heard of any problems regarding it, so please enlighten me.

Mirror's Edge - Hmm I'm not sure again what the problem is here, I thought the character was represented as quite a powerful/intelligent person and wasn't overtly sexual. As with all of these feel free to say where the issue lays, it's all about the discussion and where I'm wrong I'll admit it and all that.

Metroid - Really? To be Samus is the poster child for kick ass female characters, hell me and my sister used to get into little fights over who got to pretend to be Samus when we were playing as kids. The only issue I could think of is the zero suit perhaps?

Homeworld - Eh? Under representation maybe? But wasn't the fleet AI a woman and referred to as a hero?

Gianna Sisters - Not heard of any of these if I'm honest, so I can't say anything about them. Feel free to fill out the gaps yo.
Sanctum
Invisible Apartment
CrossCode

Ultimately I'm not actually sure why you've listed all of these games, if they had individual problems that you're free to expand on, or if you seem to think your last point in some way relates to me in any way, which is kinda funny. My point there was about marketing, which is a separate animal to the games themselves.

I'm all for more female characters with depth and intrigue, but you also have to concede that video games are a visual medium and as such are going to suffer from the same problems of movies in the sense that you're not going to get ugly protagonists/good guys unless they're there to act as a comic relief. It's an unfortunate trope that men are victims of just as much as women (though it does affect women more starkly when ageism is brought into the equation as well). I can't think of any seriously toned games where you play an unattractive character really.

Anyway I'm talking in circles a bit here, like I said earlier I don't think there aren't some issues that need to be raised, but in the scheme of things they're pretty bloody minor and the manufactured controversy that surrounds them does more harm for women's issues than good.

Errway, let's not toooooooooooootally hijack the thread for this topic, what are your thoughts on the game still being very visually on the Gamebryo engine? It's deffo starting to look pretty long in the tooth these days eh? 

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 12:07:42 AM »
You both forgot about Portal 1 for female protagonist and arguably antagonist as well. For shame.

As for the gamebryo engine looking a bit dated . . yeah, certainly, but eh . . look at F and FNV and THEY already looked pretty damn old when they came out compared to other games out on PC . . because at least F(not sure about FNV actually) had to also work on the consoles of that time. Which meant making amends and cutting back on stuff. Some of which got fixed by modders later on though.
F1 and F only looked COMPARATIVELY good to other games, because in that aera, most games looked pretty shit. But they had good gameplay and storytelling to make up for it usually.
Fallout TACTICS looked like SHIT already compared to anything else and was not as fun a game as F1 and F were anymore. It did not have as fun and engaging Gameplay anymore either sadly.

Which only makes the following statement fapping weird:
Shadowrun Returns would have been better if they had taken Fallout Tactics and given it one hell of a graphical overhaul.
Or had simply done a more or less 1:1 copy of it by recoding it using the unity engine . .
Kind of like what fans have done with settlers 2 return to the roots.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 11:50:21 PM »
@Bill:  Actually, the point I wanted to make was that all these games, featuring female protagonists, were quite successful. You said earlier that 'all' games HAVE to have a male protagonist to be marketable. (I'm paraphrasing from memory, so bear with me)

I'd also like to mention that Lara's boobage has gotten a LOT more reasonable (and dare I say, more sexy?  But that's just me prefering smaller boobs...) with the reboot.
Actual screenshot?

Also: Holy fork, how could I forget Portal?  I'm so ashamed of myself now...

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 12:41:07 PM »
It seem i probably will have to take back every bad thing i wrote about Fallout4 up untill now, if what i read on kotaku turns out to be correct @.@
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 01:36:24 PM »
http://www.twitch.tv/nerdcubed/v/6189912
The Fallouty Part starts at about one hour and 15 minutes in
Win7Ultimate64

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
Looks like Nov 10 2015 will be the proposed launch date.  Seems they have been working on this for some time.  Hopefully the graphics improve, though they don't seem all that bad to me.  I like the slightly 'old school' look.

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline ELH_Imp

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-1
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
Graphix is ok. Personally I don't want another 980gtx sell booster instead of game. And about the game... please holly random let this bethesda game be playable without tons of mods'n'stuff.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 06:41:06 PM »
Appearantly, it is NOT the gamebryo Engine anymore.
So, chances are a bit better.
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »

Really? Because it really really really really really really really really looked like it.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

Make enough changes to a base engine, call it your own.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."