Author Topic: About the guides...  (Read 3119 times)

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
About the guides...
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
There's a whole forum called guides up there. Why? This stuff kinda belongs i nthe wiki, where everyone can add or correct infromation without relying on one op. It also sucks that knowledge is divided between forum posts and the wiki like that :/
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: About the guides...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
My first assumption is to look on the official forums for information first.
Wiki is community-compiled information so people don't have to dig through forums for arcane knowledge.

I support the consolidation of information to at least one official place, two is better, so feel free to mirror it to the Wiki as well.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
I will say we had an issue earlier with people who weren't logged in getting redirected to the front page of the forum when trying to view the guides. Potentially something to look into.

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:25 PM »
Currently Updating the Wiki , But there's ALOT of work to complete, Lots to revamp so it doesn't become a cluster F. When finished it will be read friendly and easy to understand with no Personal opinion to cloud information

What i'm hoping is at some point after the wiki is all up to date is we can pretty  much  get  rid of the guides here and just basically point to the Wiki.

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-3
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
And add in wiki all new maps/

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 11:16:50 PM »
Currently Updating the Wiki , But there's ALOT of work to complete, Lots to revamp so it doesn't become a cluster F. When finished it will be read friendly and easy to understand with no Personal opinion to cloud information

What i'm hoping is at some point after the wiki is all up to date is we can pretty  much  get  rid of the guides here and just basically point to the Wiki.

Sounds good duder, I can likely help lighten the load a little there as well. Shoot me a pm about it.

And add in wiki all new maps/

Compile a list of them all with a summary about them, it'll make it easier to do mate.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »
My first assumption is to look on the official forums for information first.
You're right. But we can always just link the corresponding wiki articles in the forum.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 07:48:19 AM »
There's a whole forum called guides up there. Why? This stuff kinda belongs i nthe wiki, where everyone can add or correct infromation without relying on one op. It also sucks that knowledge is divided between forum posts and the wiki like that :/
Good point, but I have 2 things to say about that:

- Our wiki is outdated as hell. Putting there all the new guides & stuff would just confuse everyone, since some interested people would also read some other articles which contain outdated informations. And we don't want this.
- Newcomers don't really care about where the guides are located. What they need is a quick and easy way to get them (and, of course, the guides must be easy to understand, well formatted, n00b-proof and shit like that.)

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
- Why have a wiki at all if it's outdated? That seems to be the bigger problem then.

- Newcomers do care for information to be easily found. Centralizing it in one place and keeping that place updated is an important step in that direction.

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 10:43:48 AM »
- Why have a wiki at all if it's outdated? That seems to be the bigger problem then.

Indeed Completely agree , this is why the wiki is currently being worked on, Its going to be reconstructed, thus the information needs to be re written with the up to date information/New screenshot need to be taken/Links to be repaired/And fool proof guides written

Due to information that has been posted than removed re posted and then deleted "Im sure there's a Vogan Joke in here someare" its proven a hefty task to keep track of so its been a task to gather all relevant information to be sifted thru/ re organized but now its getting to the point where things can finally be done

That reminds me, Harrp do you have a more compleate copy of the MWLL maps pages i saw you have one page Posted at CJW site

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »

- Newcomers do care for information to be easily found. Centralizing it in one place and keeping that place updated is an important step in that direction.
Yes, but all of the content posted in that place should be updated, then.

That reminds me, Harrp do you have a more compleate copy of the MWLL maps pages i saw you have one page Posted at CJW site
I'm currently uploading a full map pack (~150 maps) right now, it also includes all the officially released cryfiles [the map sources, basically]. I'll post a link for that in the installation guide

EDIT:Just realized what you're talking about Vic... v_v' eh nevermind

Offline cyofee

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +71/-62
    • cyofee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
if someone makes a better page for mw-ll.org than what i have now, i'll use that.

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 05:55:45 PM »
if someone makes a better page for mw-ll.org than what i have now, i'll use that.

What, why??  :o
Your old super simple page with only download links and info was perfect! It had no tabs/sub-pages, just one page with all the info needed to install MWLL (and as far as I know it was the last place to get the old 0.6.0 install files).

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:53 PM »
I have an older static mirror of mwllmaps.com EDIT: Scroll down for the updated version
If you're looking for the raw maps, check here: http://clanjadewolf.net/maps/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:33:28 PM by HAARP »

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:26:47 PM »
I have an older static mirror of mwllmaps.com here: http://clanjadewolf.net/maps/mwllmaps.com (Feb 2014)
If you're looking for the raw maps, go one deeper into the maps/ folder: http://clanjadewolf.net/maps/mwllmaps.com/maps/

yeah  i was talking about the first posted link ... Unfortunately its only that one page if you try to navigate to other map types or the second page you get a Page not found error. So this means the whole site will have to be rebuilt with screen shots and map descriptions