Author Topic: Discord group for MWLL  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-25
  • hi
Discord group for MWLL
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
So, I don't actually know how many of you know about Discord.
Basically it's a new potential killer app which takes the best features from #IRC and Teamspeak 3 and puts them together, and it's dedicated for gamers.

It's free, you just need to register an account on their site http://discordapp.com - Actually you don't even need an account. Just click on the link below, and you're in.
But you can register an account and run the window$ client in background, so you would get notifications about all the upcoming events, etc.

You can use it on your browser, on your phone (either droid or fruit), or by using the window$ client

The good thing is that the free server/group/whatever provides 512 slots, and it's not an actual server, but rather an instance hosted on their infrastructure.
That means we can move it wherever we want basing on our needs. Do we have many European players? Move the instance on Frankfurt. Do we have many US players? Move the instance on USWest one, by just clicking a switch, whenever we want.

It's still under development, but looks like it holds pretty well.

I created an instance for MWLL community usage, and since I actually know how to handle it, I'm going to create some very basic set of permissions for future use.
If you are interested in getting admin permissions for this server, just contact me or post here.

This is the link you can click to access this server.

https://discord.gg/XzUZHcx

At the moment it's still work in progress. I'll add more channels as soon as I have time.

EDIT: IMPORTANT

I can always give permissions to temporary accounts, but if you are actually going to use it, I strongly suggest you to create an actual account, so you will get your permissions back automatically once you log back in. And it will put you back in the group automatically as well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:40:40 AM by Star Wraith »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: Discord group for MWLL
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 08:28:04 PM »
Cool, between this and TS we should have all the VOIP bases covered. Plus it's good for newbs in the sense they don't have to download any extra software.

As it's hosted in their infrastructure it'll not go down I guess (though it seems to be rare that the CJW/MWLL Master one goes down).

Good find, 7/10.

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
added note to op

Cool, between this and TS we should have all the VOIP bases covered. Plus it's good for newbs in the sense they don't have to download any extra software.

I'd still suggest to download the destkop app, since it uses way less CPU power than an active window in any browser.
Also, you can close it to tray, and stay connected to text channels and get push notifications for direct messages and announcements.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:55:05 AM by Star Wraith »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »

I'd still suggest to download the destkop app, since it uses way less CPU power than an active window in any browser.
Also, you can close it to tray, and stay connected to text channels and get push notifications for direct messages and announcements.

That's fair, if there's the occasion to use it I'll do so, but generally I tend to lurk on CJW's TS if I'm voip'ing at all. Lack of a decent microphone/desire to listen to music via my surround sound generally rules that out.

Offline ChuuniSenpai

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:56:36 AM »
Boop
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:30:04 PM by ChuuniSenpai »

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 06:53:37 PM »
your link has expired, i can't join it. Make sure you go into the server settings at the top left of the app and change the duration of your instant invite link to infinite
It works to me, just tried with a temporary account

Offline ELH_Sudibor

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-8
    • Eridani Light Horse
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:54:51 PM »
Against. At least until the full launch of the program.
And I do not advise others. Discord - aggressive promotion of the network.
It is not necessary to abandon the TS just because 100 chats in Discord.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:00:18 PM by ELH_Sudibor »
NBT-HC ELH

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »
And I do not advise others. Discord - aggressive promotion of the network.
Discord is free, and it works. I don't see anything wrong in promoting a software that is free and works.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +22/-19
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
well there are two types of reliable/reliability:
- short term reliability - commonly achieved during product launch/ PR campaign/ BETA phase of projects.
- long term reliability - seldom achieved by parties not backed with significant funding/energy/inertia.

IMHO:
it's just too early to bet either way, let's wait it out a while?

I mean: this community is at least 7 years old (since 2009 or better?) and has already weathered quite few blows, no need shed any more members due to some immature company glitches out it's infant diseases?

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
IMHO:
it's just too early to bet either way, let's wait it out a while?
Well, I am already using Discord for other stuff, so it doesn't cost anything for me to keep the MWLL server/group running. Now I am using both Discord and TS3. You guys do whatever you want :P

Offline Starch1ld

• Lance Captain
  • hi
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
Alright, bumping.

- We have reached an amount of 305 subscriers! At least 80 of them are active everytime of the day!

- I managed to get a humanly readable address: https://discord.me/mwll - spread it around!