Author Topic: Da Movies.  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Da Movies.
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:21:19 PM »
Ok so general sperg thread over cinema/movies in general. You can be as cinema snob or as popcorn fodder as you like with your recommendations/lambastings, just try and be somewhat articulate and finalise your post with a rating out of ten.

I'll start then eh?

Killer Klowns From Outer Space

This is a fairly infamous movie, it's an 80's horror movie that's played to the hilt in terms of 80's style tropes. It's a homage/parody of 50's style B-Movies, in the same vein as say, Night of the Creeps (which is a much better movie overall). The premise is simple, a quiet American town is suddenly attacked by mysterious aliens who are harvesting people for food. The twist is that the aliens are overly grotesque clowns and their technology is all zany and circus related.

Now credit where credit is due, the practical effect for this movie are great, it's pretty clear that this is where the chunk of the budget went. There are numerous alien clowns and they all look fantastic, the set design on their big top ship is somewhat bare bones but effective due to how it's presented.

Overall I'd recommend this movie on the basis that it's disposable entertainment and a nostalgic classic, as previously stated the movie itself is aiming for a nostalgic tone of 50's remembrance. It succeeds in this goal whilst maintaining the 80's tropes that you'd expect from these sorts of movies. Asides from a reasonable performance by John Vernon (he's deffo phoning it in, but he's in a fucking movie about space clowns) the cast is unmemorable. The male lead feels like he's on something for the whole movie, out of place energy and a lot of weird stares and blinking.

As I said before, I'd recommend this movie if you are looking for some practical effects driven silliness, there's very little of substance in the movie besides the effects, but they're generally so enjoyable that you don't notice. The clowns are both funny and sinister which is clearly the tone of the movie. Basically bang it on when you've a few mates over and have fun.

6.5/10 - Could have been better with some editing and better actors frankly. A fun, though unfortunately hollow movie.

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Re: Da Movies.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »

Turbokid 9.5/10
Friggin' amazing movie. Random watch. Now in my list of all time best movies ever.
Think everything that made 80's B-Movies awesome, combine that with a bit of Mad Max and Megaman, you have Turbokid.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:08:35 AM »
if you liked turbo kid , check out Kung Fury  you can see it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

you'll get the same 80's cheese , Boner you should have gotten from TurboKid.. the movie... not the actor... cause that would be wierd.. ya...

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
if you liked turbo kid , check out Kung Fury  you can see it here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

you'll get the same 80's cheese , Boner you should have gotten from TurboKid.. the movie... not the actor... cause that would be wierd.. ya...

No, TurboKid is an actual fully fleshed movie, KungFury is an exercise in PR. It's a short that shouldn't really have gotten the hype it deserves as it's basically some production company's show reel with the most basic of stories stuck to it. That's not to say I hate it or anything, I just get annoyed seeing the two compared to one another.

KF deserves recognition for how much you can do on a low, low budget and how well you can push a product on the internet. TK is a wonderfully charming movie and by far superior (imo etc etc) of the two. I think the Mad Max/Megaman comparison Defender made is somewhat accurate, but for me it feels like a 90's kid show made for adults. If you took it out of the post apocalyptic setting and replaced the lead characters with children, see what I mean?

Also props to Micheal Ironside, he clearly was having a fair bit of fun with the movie. Oh and I want to bang the robot.

Right we've had a couple of fun and cheesy bits, I guess I'll post something a bit more snobby ding dongs.

And now, from the annuals of pretentious Bill snobbery, I present to you, a review of Filth. Written by Irving Welsh of Trainspotting fame and directed by the relatively unknown Jon S Baird.

Filth:

Filth is a fantastic movie, but it's not a traditional cinema going film. For example I couldn't see this being played in American cinemas what so ever, it's very much a product of the United Kingdom or more accurately Scotland. Now those of you who have seen the 1996 film Trainspotting, also based on Welsh's writing, will have some idea of what I am talking about. This isn't a cheery movie, it's not a movie where the protagonist defeats the bad guy and rides off into the sunset (on your colour tv screen), girl in hand. Now that's not to say there's not plenty of American cinema that doesn't do that, but it's not the stuff that really gets talked about, let alone have large scale distribution. The last time I can think of a movie with a somewhat similar tone doing really well in the US is going as far back as Taxi Driver and some movies of that era. It's basically not the done thing any more as studios are ultimately worried about their bottom line. Anyway I digress.

Filth follows Scottish Police Detective Sargent (don't ask me to explain British Police ranking as I've no fucking clue) Bruce Robertson, played by James McAvoy who's more famous for his role in X Men but has starred in some very decent stuff over the years. Bruce is both driven and self destructive, being inflicted with a borderline personality disorder. He wants to be promoted to Detective Inspector as in his mind he's the best person for the job, all of his colleagues are incompetent. But at the same time he is heading at breakneck speed for disaster, consuming enough drugs for a small council estate and policing more in the vein of Dirty Harry/Popeye Doyle than your average British Constable.

The supporting cast is fantastic, Jim Broadbent (who'd you'd most likely recognise if you put his name into google) give a decent performance as ever. But the best of the supporting cast is easily the long suffering Clifford played by the critically underrated Eddie Marsan. Clifford is trapped in a loveless marriage and is a mostly pedestrian sort of bloke who can't see past the end of his nose. Bruce becomes both his mate and an utter cunt to him and their relationship is one of my favourite aspects of the film.

I don't want to go too much into the plot, but I have to say this is a movie that massively resonated with me. I tend to view it as a microcosmic view of humanity itself, trying to do good whilst careening itself towards the gutter. Now that's certainly not the director's intent, they intented to tell this story as effectively as they could and I feel they succeeded with that fairly substantially. This isn't a movie to be sitting down and watching with Grandma (unless Gamgams is a thoughtful, intellectual person who can appreciate that art doesn't always have to be pretty) but it's certainly one I would highly recommend.

Easily one of my favourite films to come out in the last five or so years, torrent the bastard and buckle yourself in for a wild ride that has an ending that'll leave you grinning but melancholic.

Suck my hairy nipples I give this a 9/10

Offline Vic-Viper.v1

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +15/-3
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
What?  i wasnt implying one is better then the other i am just saying that if anyone enjoyed watching Turbokid they will also enjoy KungFury

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 02:08:39 PM »
What?  i wasnt implying one is better then the other i am just saying that if anyone enjoyed watching Turbokid they will also enjoy KungFury

I didn't mean to imply you were, it's just they get bandied around together a lot and KF gets too much press off a better product imo. I'd also disagree with you saying liking one will result in liking the other, I personally shut off KF before it was finished as it had so little substance to it. You're right in that they're somewhat similar products, harping back to the 80's, but for me TK is a loving homage to some of the cheaply made movie clones of the 80's & 90's; as where KF is "Hey bro remember the 80's? Weeeeeeellllllllll we've got a lot of things from the 80's and we're gonna jam them all together, mix in some preeeeeeetty shitty humour and awaay we goooooo!".

As I said previously, I don't hate it (that arcade machine fight was very amusing), it's just a very different product from Turbo Kid and not really worthy of comparison.

Anyway boss, didn't mean to come off heavy handed, it's just as I said I don't think they're really compatible. I've also realised how many of the movies I've bought in the last year I've not actually gotten round to watching.... I am Dingus.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 02:15:09 PM by Bill »

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +114/-30
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:41 PM »
One of the best movies I've seen in the last year is Song of the Sea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgbXWt8kM5Q

Link doesn't work and I can't rate from 10, I am nigger destroyer of world.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:35:14 PM by Bill »

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:15:57 AM »
Another fun movie you may not have seen go by was "Wristcutters, a Love Story". Has a major role played by Tom Waits and has a pretty trippy plot.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 02:21:03 AM »
Another fun movie you may not have seen go by was "Wristcutters, a Love Story". Has a major role played by Tom Waits and has a pretty trippy plot.

Sounds interesting, I do wish you'd go into more detail though. This is supposed to be an arena of self gratification! haha

Also fix your link dude.

Offline Sxooter

• Lance Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 05:41:53 AM »
Link works fine.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 11:20:09 PM »
Help!
Have watched Deadpool. Not Badpool. Actually very Goodpool! My Nerd-On has not gone down in over 3 hours by now! x.x
VERY good Movie! The BEST Comic to big Pictures Movie i have seen since Batman(1989) and Batman Returns(1992)!
Way up there with Watchmen.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 12:27:11 AM »
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/stephen-kings-shoots-fall
How much do you want to bet that they are going to fapp it up?
How badly do you think they are going to fapp this shit up?
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4
So, first GITS Movie Trailer with Scarlet Johansen.
Carefull optimistic or RUINED?
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 08:18:02 PM »

Hard to say, seems they've captured the iconic scenes and it is nice to see that vision of the future depicted in "real" life. I will very likely watch the shit out of it but I expect I will find room for improvement.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 02:58:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtG93BebJ4

The only comic book movie (yes I know it's a manga) that SJ  (AHA! It all makes sense now) has been in that's worth any salt is Ghost World.