Author Topic: MWLL 0.8 Idiot's installation guide.  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
MWLL 0.8 Idiot's installation guide.
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:56 PM »
Hi folks,

I had a look and I couldn't see a detailed guide for this, so I thought I would ask some questions and hopefully it will provide information for people in future.

1 - I have been told it works best from the combined installer so I have that DLing now. I am unfortunately still on that infamous red-headed stepchild of operating systems, Vista 64, will it still work on this? (I will certainly try and report back)

2 - I guess that you must uninstall any previous versions of the mod before using the combined installer. Is it sufficient to use the uninstall utilities provided or is there a need for anything more thorough?

3 - I gather that the combined installer has the no-gamespy fix built in so there is now no need to mess with your hosts file or use Bruno's lovely tool. Is this correct?

4 - Under what cirumstances would someone need just the 3gb archive and how would that be used? For example I have always used a purchased copy of CW and downloaded and installed the mod parts separately, mainly because many of the previous combined installers didn't get along with Vista 64 (understandable I know) and my PC wouldn't allow unpacking of things automatically into the correct areas.

From asking in the other threads about this I gather you would at least need the gamspy fix exe and at least a line to mod the autoexec to show the console to prevent the shader bug (thank haarp and bill i think)

Thank you very much again for working on this :)

Offline Thunderbird

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
    • CC-SF, Star Citizen mercenary organization
Re: MWLL 0.8 Idiot's installation guide.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:11:21 PM »
1 - not a clue, might create a rift in space-time for all i know, if any problems arise try playing with "Run as admin" and worst case, compatibility options

2 - you shouldnt have to uninstall it at all, but better safe than sorry - personally i uninstalled the game and then manually deleted all leftover files including user profiles

3 - yes, and you can either use the qtracker login or create your own, whatever works for you... and connecting to servers on doubleclick works fine aswell, no more need to manually type in IP

4 - anyone transferring from 0.7.1 to 0.8.0 could technically just be able to delete their mod folder and put this one in and it would work - but fresh reinstall from the combined installer prevents all kinds of "potential" issues - also note that 0.8.0 actionmaps include the new reticle settings, and those go into your profiles (in your Documents, not the game folder)

the only thing you need from 0.8.0 onwards is ONLY the combined installer - everything should be included and set up correctly, as long as its a clean install
When you reach the end of your journey, the only thing that really matters is the journey itself. -Taoist saying

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I have about 3 hours to go before its downloaded so I sill start from a clean install unless I get told otherwise :)

Offline Thunderbird

• Bondsman
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
might also want to visit TS3: mwll.mwmaster.com
and the Discord server : https://discord.gg/mcE67sK
When you reach the end of your journey, the only thing that really matters is the journey itself. -Taoist saying

Offline Mech warrior(1)

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:27:42 PM »
1 - I have been told it works best from the combined installer so I have that DLing now. I am unfortunately still on that infamous red-headed stepchild of operating systems, Vista 64, will it still work on this? (I will certainly try and report back)
Masochist!!  ;D ;D ;D

You can install it on any win7 pc, and then copy the files, the profile dir and install the redistributables in your Vista64 pc
[Warning] asset for animation-name 'obama' not available [File=game\objects\objects_mwll\characters\battlesuits\is_loginus\is_longinus.chr

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »
Good news! It worked!

The only tricky bit was scouring crysis wars from my system, I forgot where Vista kept the Add/Remove programs feature.

So I did this:

Download the full installer.

Found the MWLL uninstaller in the Mods directory and ran it, it wasn't clear if it did anything as the whole lot was still there except the Uninstall icon. Then a restart.

Found that you add/remove programs from the Computer menu in Vista. Crysis Wars doesn't seem to have any uninstaller of its own.

Vista found both Crysis Wars and Crysis Wars Patch. I uninstalled the Patch one, restarted, then uninstalled the main Crysis Wars and restarted.

The EA folder on my PC was then much lighter with only the old 7.1 bits inside it. Just incase I needed anything from there I copied it to my other partition (in case I wanted a map or something)

I then manually deleted the EA folder from my C: drive.

I unpacked the 0.8 combined installer to my desktop, then ran the application. No spacetime tearing, no explosions. It just worked. The only error message I got was right at the end where it asks if you want to see the changelog and start the launcher, it claimed the launcher couldn't start as the "process needed elevating". I fired the launcher up from the desktop icon and it worked fine after that. When the launcher came up it prompted me to install 2 more redists and that was fine.

I signed into the game with qtracker as both name and password (that didn't feel right, I think I did that wrong) but it worked. Clicked on a server, hit join, it just works again no drama! Oh windows firewall blocked the game from making a connection until I told it to allow.

Hopefully it stays this painless, we know the installer works on Vista 64! Amazing job making it so easy!

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-1
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 06:57:29 AM »
How can I pass GAMESPY ID LOGIN window?

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
Register a new account? Beware, it'll quietly fail if the name is already taken.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
What account? Impossible to make new account on GAMESPY ID LOGIN window. We still need other softwares?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:02:37 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline Thunderbird

• Bondsman
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
What account? Impossible to make new account on GAMESPY ID LOGIN window. We still need other softwares?

no, making account should work, does for everyone else
alternatively use your preferred name to login and use "qtracker" as password

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:52 AM »
Got it! I can login now.

But I think we can use this way only in CW+MWLL installer. If we use Steam CW+MWLL or etc, we need additional work.
Devs must note step-by-step guide for each pettern, if they want more players.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:40:25 AM by ACE FIGHTER »

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 10:30:44 AM »
Got it! I can login now.

But we can use this way in CW+MWLL installer. If we use Steam CW+MWLL or etc, we need additional work.
???

MWLL isn't on Steam. Can you explain what you're talking about?

Offline ACE FIGHTER

• Lance Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 11:03:03 AM »
Got it! I can login now.

But we can use this way in CW+MWLL installer. If we use Steam CW+MWLL or etc, we need additional work.
???

MWLL isn't on Steam. Can you explain what you're talking about?

Devs released "CW+MWLL package", "CW only" & "MWLL only" on download page.

There are many people who already have CW(retail version, steam version, etc.).
Normally, they need to download only MWLL. Then install MWLL into CW mods folder.
I did so. But I couldn't pass GAMESPY ID LOGIN.

After that, I downloaded CW+MWLL & installed. I could pass LOGIN.

2~3 years ago, I had to use user-made server list/ launcher to play.
I think it's still the same if we don't use CW+MWLL package now.
But devs didn't write about this in download page or install guide. Just bad.

In the first place, they didn't wrote even the way of login on CW+MWLL.
They wrote only this.

"You may be prompted for a Crysis/Gamespy ID. This ID is actually on the Qtracker network, which took over once GameSpy died. You can register with your actual Email or just use a random mail like asdsfads@gmail.com. It's not verified."

This is wrong or half-finished. They wrote only about e-mail adress.
How about nickname? How about password? Nothing.
If they want more players, they must make proper guide for every pattern on top page.

This is what I said. Current install guide is terrible, at least.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:48 AM »
That's laughable. Many people will confuse.

Are you talking about your own statements mate?

It doesn't matter what the developers released, in order to play 8.0 you need to get the resources linked to in the main release thread, I'm pretty sure the majority of options were covered. If not download the full package and it'll serve you.

I'm really not seeing the problem here other than people being stupid and that's hardly something new.

Also if you're really that bothered write a new guide.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:15:20 AM by Bill »

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
I get it. If you're using the Steam version of Crysis Wars, you'll need the Gamespy fix. Otherwise it'll try to use the now-defunct Gamespy servers. I'll modify the landing page to mention this.