Author Topic: new TC_Taiga  (Read 487 times)

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
new TC_Taiga
« on: December 09, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
I am quite unhappy with the new version of TC_Taiga. Yes, the original concept (all bases capable, except the air bases) had its problems, but the new version makes the map kind of dull.

It's basically just a much larger, 90 rotated version of TC_Sandblasted. Both teams typically spawn in either of the forward bases and duke it out in the middle, with occasional flanking tries (which are often too difficult and not worth it due to the limiting terrain and large distances from the main base). It's a very limiting and "linear" ordeal now.

Also getting an Assault to the front line is a pain due to the large distance from the main bases to the actual front line (not necessarily a bad thing of course).

Not sure how it can be improved though. What do you guys think of the new version actually?

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: new TC_Taiga
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 01:36:14 PM »
The new version is much MUCH better than TC sandblasted as far as base layout.
The majority of the tickets are concentrated into the center base, which has neither repairs nor a hanger.
The two side bases can only spawn mediums and the lighter heavies and can attack the center from east and west.
The center can also be attacked from the north or south by assaults but they have to come up predictable roads if they dont want to take forever.
This creates a true king of the hill tug of war scenario where the team that charges mid and tries to hold it then does not have access to repairs and leaves their side base open to attack.
I've had some great games on it so far, it plays far better than Tc sandblasted ever has.

That said it still kinda visually looks wonky and the terrain can be maddening, but not much we can do about that as it is a difficult cryfile to work with in the first place.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +158/-37
  • my little pwny
Re: new TC_Taiga
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 01:47:45 PM »
The new version is much MUCH better than TC sandblasted as far as base layout.

You really think so? Why in particular?

The majority of the tickets are concentrated into the center base, which has neither repairs nor a hanger.

Yes, the ticket multiplier situation in TC_Sandblasted is really bad though I am sure Ivaan addresses this in the new version of TC_Sandblasted.

The center can also be attacked from the north or south by assaults but they have to come up predictable roads if they dont want to take forever.

The north has an advantage here, because you can come up more hidden and you can access higher ground more easily than the south.

This creates a true king of the hill tug of war scenario where the team that charges mid and tries to hold it then does not have access to repairs and leaves their side base open to attack.

Imho it's a dull back and forth whereas on TC_Sandblasted there is much more action all around. I'll try to convey that with a few images when I have the time.

and leaves their side base open to attack.

I find trying to cap the side bases highly impractical. First of all, if you try to do that from the main base, it takes you forever to get there. So a lot of time is wasted where the enemy possibly drains your tickets. And then you just have to hope, that no one is spawning there - which there usually will be, especially in a 12v12 match.

And if you try to flank around the center base to one of the side bases from another side base - it's basically the same story, it would take you forever to get there due to the terrain that you have to traverse. Plus you have the added risk of getting caught on the way and then you have to hope no large group is currently spawning.

It's an extremely large effort, with high risk and little reward.