Author Topic: No sound at all - intro vids, menus or in game  (Read 355 times)

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
No sound at all - intro vids, menus or in game
« on: January 01, 2017, 11:56:15 AM »
Hey Guys,

First post here after watching one of BlueDrake's videos and decided I needed to play this game / mod (played earlier MW titles and also MWO though I very quickly grew tired of the massive grind and other issues that plagued that game, let alone all the broken promises from PGI..). I've been able to install and play it on my main gaming PC no worries, however thought I'd see how it would run on my Intel Compute Stick M3 (2016 Core M3 version) connected to my 55" TV and while it surprisingly runs rather smoothly on 1920x1080 with all medium advanced auto-set settings, I have no sound in game whatsoever and can't figure out currently what the issue is. I don't get anything during the intro video, in the main menu or connected into a server.

I've tried manually disabling and re-enabling via console command s_SoundEnable 0 / 1, set my audio device to CD quality and tried a few other things (such as game.cfg) but can't get anything.

Hoping someone will have some ideas to try out. Compute stick model is STK2M364CC and running Win10 x64 Ent for anyone interested.

Cheers,

Valheru

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
Re: No sound at all - intro vids, menus or in game
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »
Wuht? MWLL smooth on a compute stick that's amazing.
What sound solution do you have in that stick? Maybe update your sound drivers?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:22:54 PM by JLZ »

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
  • RDL. Mechwarrior <TAU> (Clan Nova Cat) Heavy Arms
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
connected to my 55" TV
The most simple, if you connect your TV to your computer first time.

1. Check If the sound in other applications? or is it only MWLL?

2. Check HDMI cable is connected correctly?

3. Manage audio devices \ Playback device \ Click Your TV \ Click On default \ Ok

4. Drivers

5. Other

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:31:46 PM by RDL_Vitos »

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
3. Manage audio devices \ Playback device \ Click Your TV \ Click On default \ Ok

Vitus has the right idea here.

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Hey Guys,

Cheers for the replies. Yes, running quite smoothly and easily it seems on the 2016 gen compute stick with the Core M3 chip. They're a fair bit beefier (and costlier to if you can't find a good deal ;) ) that the previous gen, sporting an actual onboard graphics chip and 4gb of ram.

Regarding the sound, it is only affecting MWLL. I haven't tried any other games to date on the compute stick so it may not be specific to MWLL but this is the first time I've run into any issues on the stick PC. Will be trying different drivers but was just wondering first if there's any other things I could try or check with MWLL first.

- Valheru

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
What is your configured default audio device?

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 10:56:24 PM »
What is your configured default audio device?

What are you talking about specifically? The default playback device for Windows? It will still be set to the original default that just sends everything via the HDMI connection. I'll take a look tonight and report back its actual name.

The stick PC connects to the TV via HDMI which transmits the video and audio. The audio is then passed onto my sound system via fibre optic. The only thing I'm not getting sound from though is the game itself. Haven't had a chance to try different audio drivers yet (if there's any others to use anyway, the compute stick I have is pretty new on the market).

- Valheru

Offline Spooky

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-37
  • my little pwny
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:03:12 AM »
Yes, press Win and type in "Sound" (i.e. open the "Sound" section of the Control Panel) and post a Screenshot of that (showing your default audio device).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:08:45 AM by Spooky »

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 09:27:50 AM »
Yes, press Win and type in "Sound" (i.e. open the "Sound" section of the Control Panel) and post a Screenshot of that (showing your default audio device).

Hey Spooky,

Here's the screenshot you requested with a bit of extra info. Tried doing an doing a driver update for both audio devices in control panel but it reckons there's no updated drivers. Also looked on Intel's site but there's no specific audio drivers to try manually updating to.

- Valheru

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 09:53:33 AM »
Clarify:

Those. No sound only MWLL ? And any other sounds (a system, other games, music, movies on computer) reproduces?

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
So I've just figured out what it is, or at least a workaround. Forcing MWLL via the launcher to run in directx9 mode resolves the game audio issues. Currently running dx12 just like my desktop PC but it seems to have some issue on this compute stick PC.

That's fine if it works, not overly worried about playing MWLL on the compute stick, was doing it more out of interests sake and maybe so a friend could possibly play while over. I guess if I feel like playing on a 55" TV as well then I've got the option :P

- Valheru

Offline JLZ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +32/-6
  • m e l e r s k i
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
I find DX9 to be very pretty, played it like that until about a year ago.
Only difference I see every now and then to DX10 are the "god rays".

Offline RDL_Vitos

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
So I've just figured out what it is, or at least a workaround. Forcing MWLL via the launcher to run in directx9 mode resolves the game audio issues. Currently running dx12 just like my desktop PC but it seems to have some issue on this compute stick PC.

That's fine if it works, not overly worried about playing MWLL on the compute stick, was doing it more out of interests sake and maybe so a friend could possibly play while over. I guess if I feel like playing on a 55" TV as well then I've got the option :P

- Valheru
good!  the difference between dx9 and dx10 in mwll - the minimum. And on dx9 + use 64 bit - more stability , i think.

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
Doesn't explain the difference causing the issue between my desktop gaming PC and the compute stick but oh well, not fussed as said :)

Cheers for the replies and good hunting pilots! ;D

- Valheru

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +339/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
Doesn't explain the difference causing the issue between my desktop gaming PC and the compute stick but oh well, not fussed as said :)

Cheers for the replies and good hunting pilots! ;D

- Valheru

It's probably not configured to use the stick currently, plenty of people play mwll with a flight stick (at least for aerospace, you're asking for trouble if you want to mech pilot using one imho). I'm not sure how to configure the actionmapper right now as I think the default one was disabled some point recently. Don't quote me on that though.