Author Topic: Fix the Action Mapper please  (Read 289 times)

Offline Flashblade

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Fix the Action Mapper please
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
Hello new devteam,

there are some problems with the Action Mapper. The largest one is that you have to use the native Windows driver from 2006 to get access to mouse button 4 and 5 (which are also in reverse order from any other application in my case). I for example own a Logitech Corded M500 Mouse. If I want to program my buttons I need setpoint. If I want to have access to my two additional mouse buttons I need setpoint as well. You can not even for example program the mouse keys so that they act like keyboard keys to circumvent this problem (at least it is impossible for me). I am really unwilling to accept this as a Logitech problem when MechWarrior 3 from 1999 can work with programmed keys from setpoint. This is definitely on MWLLs side to resolve.

Next thing on the list is that the toggle ramping throttle function is broken. If you toggle for persistent throttle the acceleration will always go past the bar which shows the max wanted throttle, when that should be the place the throttle doesn't go any higher until you accelerate more and the bar rises further towards 100%. On that note why is there no return to zero function for mechs? In a perfect world and when the joystick works again I would like mech acceleration to work similarly to vehicles, return to zero when there is no input from me.

Thank you for continuing the work on this excellent representation of BT warfare!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:07:43 PM by Flashblade »

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
Re: Fix the Action Mapper please
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
It's possible it could be limitations of the older Java based DirectInput library used by the Actionmapper to detect key presses and mouse clicks. I have a Logitech G500 so with any luck it might be similar to yours, so I'll see if I can reproduce after work.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-13
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (thanks: Spooky)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Do note:
Issues related to CW cryengine can't be addressed currently, and most probably never will be. :(
Issues related to the MW:LL mod, however will be investigated and worked on.

For this to be successful do please try to reproduce, at least once, and provide as much details as practical?

The community is both the player reporting and the devs responding to these reports.

"Complete destruction of House No. 1, located 3,500 feet from ground zero, by an atomic blast on March 17, 1953, at Yucca Flat at the Nevada Proving Ground"

HPG data-links: Easy tweak FPS n'more
1st 2 weeks and BA guide
101 Survival guide;[R.S.]
NEWS!

Offline Flashblade

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:20:43 AM »
What do you want me to reproduce?

The mouse thing is discussed in this thread http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,20735.0.html

And the ramping/instant toggle problem happens everytime I enter a vehicle. It should be fairly easy to see that happen. For example the ramping throttle bar is on 20 kph. The true throttle will go up to 40 kph completely ignoring that bar. I would expect the ramping throttle toggle to fullfill the same function as the throttle in a mech because that behaviour makes sense.

And still I would very much like the option for a mech to also have the instant throttling and that zero input returns the throttle to zero.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:53 AM »
Ignore him. The issue is clear and reproduction should be easy with the appropriate hardware.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 01:11:27 AM »
There appears to be something wonky with the way the Logitech mouse does its buttons 4+. For example, in my setpoint the buttons 4 and 5 are set to Back/Forward (for internet browsing). Yet in game they respond to Button 4 and 5. However the DirectInput java library used in the actionmapper appears to have no idea what the Back/Forward button are when I click them.

I might need to see if a newer version of that java library is available that fixes it, otherwise you'll just have to use the menus in the Actionmapper to pick the correct buttons, knowing they work in game even if they don't in the actionmapper.

EDIT: well I tried the newer version of the JInput library, no dice :( 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:21:47 AM by CapperDeluxe »

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
I suspect the driver is changing its behavior depending on the application being run. Maybe by executable name, maybe the fact that it's fullscreen.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline cest73

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +19/-13
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (thanks: Spooky)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:55:36 AM »
Custom action mapping might be in order:
Sometimes one is to make his own mouse work for himself:
I would recommend to configure the mouse so it works elsewhere as its supposed to, then force the game "behave" properly?

Whatever is required for the buttons to be properly assigned, and then post the zipped file here.

Posting the actual file text could end up finding out that there are more lines than allowed by the forum software.

And just state clearly what it does, like properly mapping buttons <that and that> to mouse <exact model> so others might help them selves as well?

FWIW I had mine files edited "by hand", the structure isn't too human, but it isn't too cryptic either?

Also, most players have their own custom configs they drag over releases fora while now.
"Complete destruction of House No. 1, located 3,500 feet from ground zero, by an atomic blast on March 17, 1953, at Yucca Flat at the Nevada Proving Ground"

HPG data-links: Easy tweak FPS n'more
1st 2 weeks and BA guide
101 Survival guide;[R.S.]
NEWS!