Your might try this:
Blender 2.69 x32
Python 3.2 x32
niftools blender nif plugin docs
pyffi project home
Only need matching versions of these programs.
Or 3dmax, there are many tutorials. And more opportunities.
Kind thanks Vitos, for the effort!
I tried already with some old blender and Sandbox2_32bit:
The problem is that Blender 2.4x did internally save all surfaces as triangles.
Nothing bad by it self but nowadays Blender (2.78) know ngons
and saves them internally.
This is aesthetically better, and reduces the clutter a bit in wire view.
However, the files need be exported from the current blender back into the trigon mode so some details might be lost.
Further, some of the cloning and mirroring seems to fail on export - meaning each object converted needs to be checked and double checked before going public?
So I will certainly report as I progress, and try hard provide access to tools being used.
1. So far i got to find the props packed in the pac files and unpack them (they are zipped only?)
2. I tried import the whole aegis into the cgf file (and failed miserably) via Blender 2.49b
3. I tried export an empty "Ctrl-N" cube and apparently succeeded (didn't test)
4. I'm about to break Aegis into piece-files and start exporting it one at a time.
5. What fails to import last, will then be tried in 3DSmax
Further I'll need animated elevators (my Aegis is full of elevators needed to traverse the few decks)
Also I will need few more animated outside doors on the Aegis too for the various hangars and the four iconic Drop-ship hatches.
Did I mention the drop-ship load elevators too?
So there is quite a lot to do yet
See ya'll there...