Author Topic: Mechs vs Tanks - Is MWLL unbalanced?  (Read 631 times)

Offline Valheru

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
Re: Mechs vs Tanks - Is MWLL unbalanced?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 05:54:11 AM »
Hey All,

Just popping in to say "Thanks for all the great informative replies!" and I'll try to get back in here soon to actually reply myself ;)

- Valheru

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
"Aim for the turret" is a piece of advice thrown around quite often when fighting tanks

That's only ever said in response to noobs who wouldn't be able to focus another section.

In my defence I didn't know this either haha

Still nice to cripple turrets, just maybe not as worthwhile as I thought it was.
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline okaolias

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-2
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
Invictus, I didn't call the armor distribution and damage transfer rates of vehicles weird because they don't make sense. If anything, I am amongst those that are very pleased with the majority of the changes of 0.8.x. I called them weird because they are not intuitive.

My previous post was aimed at informing new players, exactly because a lot of what they perceive as inconsistencies is intended game behavior. Under the hood knowledge like that is very important on a tactical level. Learning about the numerical strengths and weaknesses of different assets and weapons, combining them with in-game factors like the shape of the hitboxes due to canon design like you mentioned, and striving to take advantage of them can do a lot to increase your sense of gitting guder.

Obviously, strategy and teamwork are more important, and you can become better at the game by developing an intuitive sense for how things work (and eventually that's what you'll rely on, anyways) even without being 100% on the way things work under the hood, but knowing the mechanics behind a game can help avoid frustration, which is crucial when you're new.

In order to find the stats under the hood you have to browse an out of date wiki, old forum threads, go through changelogs that describe changes, but often not in detail, ask around, dig through xmls and probably run a couple of tests yourself in order to weed out outdated or wrong information.

This is a video game based on a tabletop game that revolved around numbers, yet the specific numbers can be so hard to find. Doubly so if you are new and not used to interacting with the community outside of playing the game. On my part I'm planning on creating a wiki account and helping with the update. I thought I already had one but it seems I was wrong.

Even if this game never gets a mechlab, it could use a mech browser. Bruno_007 had a vehicle browser, but the link are now dead. It showed detailed component armor, damage type multipliers and loadouts. That, plus the damage transfer rates, weapon stats and short descriptions for electronics and jumpjets could be added directly to the launcher, although I know that both time and programmers are scarce and precious for actual game development right now.

And to be honest, mathcraft makes me feel better about being a mid-tier casul :'-)

The bit about vehicles being more susceptible to high dps weapons rather than burst, compared to mechs, was quite insightful.

Offline General Battuta

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
Even the Lanner, which is currently, quite heavily bugged, is no god.

So we're not imagining it? That's a relief!

Thanks for laying all this out, it's really great to get insight into the game systems. (will we get selectable ATM loads)