Author Topic: 090 changes in gameflow: shift of play style  (Read 387 times)

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +22/-19
  • there are links in my signature -->
    • MW:LL game status online (kudos: Spooky)
090 changes in gameflow: shift of play style
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »
The recent game flow development changed some key aspects of the rewards and punishment mechanism.

What game tips and strategies would You recommend?

Will it affect Your play style? How?

Offline ~SJ~Snowleopard

• Alphatester
  • Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
  • Herp Derp
Re: 090 changes in gameflow: shift of play style
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »
I feel like it is starting to turn into a lot of tactics used in MWO. I feel like everything is poke now.

You use to be able to brawl very effectively, I would know being a back line killer. I use to be able to take on second line mechs with a UAC or LBX and just trash LRM boaters and such. Now it feels like that is impossible, where a good pilot could 2v1, it feels like MWO where a 1v1 even against a second line mech leaves you heavily injured.

I also find that asset selection has become extremely limited. Starting assets are basically the Osiris. Solitaire is worthless to make money now and the Uller just feels like it is under powered cause those RAC/2's just eat you alive. It almost feels like if the Uller C was a starting asset, back in the older meta; There was a reason it wasn't.

I really enjoyed my aggressive play style that encouraged team mates to join up in small brawls, but now it just feels like take a Rifleman and poke from 1200m.

Do not get me wrong, I love MWLL and the work thats put in. The balance just feels like it is starting to waiver a lot, favoring a system that requires you to take certain mechs in order to make money. The money balance was suppose to help put more people in mediums and heavies and less assaults, instead skilled players just follow a meta chain and get there in the same time anyway.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »
The way i feel it, the game is still good, within limits.
The carnage is still there, and the thrill.

What is changed is the "meta" - the rules that let You circumvent the effort the "outer rim" players must put in.

Also it seems to be much harder to gain the upper hand if Your team is not making the right thing.

The game has pushed the "balance" toward more aggressive - competitive team play - no more lone lions or wolfs?

So, move in packs, kill whatever comes across and strafe away from anything "green" if not "green" yourself and a tier above it.

It remains to see how time will prove this late development: will it stick or will it be changed and to what end?

Yes the assets that grant early rank rise have changed too, reflecting the changes in the rules and modifiers.

Offline Bird_Thing

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-4
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 10:01:32 PM »
The money balance was suppose to help put more people in mediums and heavies and less assaults, instead skilled players just follow a meta chain and get there in the same time anyway.

Dunno about everyone going all pokey and assaults, but I've managed to just stay within the light/medium category and still have 100k-200k or more by the end of match.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:55 PM »
after few matches it seems like this to me:
1. Starter assets :
Code: [Select]
Solitaire is a "no go" since it became too susceptible to light weapon damage - few light lasers just tear it apart
Osiris C is a good in between starter (supreme mobility) and most of the hovers and tanks reign supreme.
2. RTB:
to successfully upgrade one has to "get home" with ~40k (37k...45k) instead the 27k from 0.8.x era3. Economy:
In current state (low refund for selling) the 10k share limit seems a bit "too cheap" IMO,
team banking won't prevent early assaults but the occasional gift might be lifted to at least 15k
4. Team balance:
not one single game I participated did end in proper full time without [b]heavy player switching[/b]
- needles to say, only the same old [b]responsible veterans[/b] do the switch, and others barely notice it.
 The bitter taste remains...
5. Faction balance:
Even new players say "just use clan tech", but I kind of like the Argus.6. Objections
There are variants for the Chimera and Argus to be desired for, and the Uziel too has some variants that are rarely seen even on the Chaos March battle fields.
The resurrected Catapult still has lore-true models that could make it to the game IMO (HPPC one can substitute the current ERPPC one)
HVAC5 (yet to come but trivial to implement) wold be nice on the sniper Uziel (instead AC5) and on an Owens/Osiris starter?
The Rommel has to go the Ares way and get rd of the skirt - or transform it not to register colliding to objects - other than that, the tanks is good IMO - love the artwork.
7. Commends
The new assets blend in nicely and the sounds really enhanced the immersion further yet (!)
The changes in the economy and game flow make for shorter (abruptly ending) and somewhat more brutal public games
The economy alone makes "early birds" fast into heavies and awards such advantage with assaults in about mid-game,
 those less lucky, or less skilled - no matter what, just kill-feed the "early birds" up to the (abrupt) game end.
 I wonder if this was the team's intention?
I personally made it to the "early birds", a couple of times really, and while "pleasantly awarded" for the early take off,
 I couldn't find any increasing challenge as the game rolled on
- it became evermore easy to sustain the advantage being granted ever more funds for upgrades after each "wave of the doomed" feed my teams score.
Team play, OTOH, remains as the sole refuge to the recent shift in mage balance
- if the team moves just right it might come back - provided the other team moves bad - otherwise it's all decided in the few first strafes.

Offline DeimosEvotec

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 12:54:51 AM »
HVAC5s aren't implemented because invic saw no point in them, they are just worse light gauss rifles that are a bit cheaper, and their weight would prevent them from getting put on the ll+ac5 Uziel anyway because they would require 8 more tons of pod space compared to the ac5s.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:03:56 AM »
Well, that's a point i guess :)

Offline Silvercraft

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
- Reduction of max sell value (from 70% to 50%) has slowed down snowballing, somewhat.

- Final few ranks are really hard to achive now since xp requirements have been increased like +50%.

- Addition of new heavy mechs was right thing to do because that is what most people use for most of the match unless they have special role like scouting, back capping, etc.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
 ??? :"Mommie, where are the assaults gone?"
 :-* :"They're extinct by the balance shift..."

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

Idk dude, I managed to go from a light straight into an assault in the last game I played just by being proactive in back capping and occasionally plinking mechs that were being engaged by players on my team; and I'm far from what I would call a decently skilled player.

Offline cest73

• Star Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:01:49 AM »

Idk dude, I managed to go from a light straight into an assault in the last game I played just by being proactive in back capping and occasionally plinking mechs that were being engaged by players on my team; and I'm far from what I would call a decently skilled player.
Dear,
was it an 7vs7 game?
Will we always have full server Thunderrift?
And last, not least, I don't like playing capWarrior, I want it all.

Last game I played, veterans where switching back and forth, I couldnt figure whom to shoot or not, and we bled all the tickets on capture more than K/D.
And it was Thunderrift
Yes, no snowballing, even "d" didn't break off tier, alltho started maximal agressively - he could affor "CheapHammer" only.
And teamwin was all in team play.
But the first assault an "average joe" (me) could afford was when the game was in the last stage.

My point:
With this last shift, average players, carrying most of the game ambient, will end up deprived of the most fun:
Give 65% for selling,
Make better rank 3 variants (54k spawn) to be more fun to use

And i call it tolerable long term

Give the BA weapons a balance to be silly if put on Osiris (I still await an 6 BA_uHL Osiris) and i'll cal that release golden

Nothing wrong with BA, tho, I just mention

The way I see it, and I'm a sucker for hard games, the player struggles more with the economy than with other players.
Is this our goal?
EconoCrysisWarrior?