Author Topic: MPBT: 3025  (Read 14879 times)

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
Re: MPBT: 3025
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 12:29:12 PM »
When I played MPBT 3025's Beta I was under the tag DHG Parias. The Davion Heavy Guards were not a MPBT 3025 unit however. We stuck around on MW3:PM and MW4/BK/Mercs mostly.

Whew I remember some of the earliest matches on 3025 when no one had mediums yet. Most players didn't have any MechWarrior experience and it was like a turkey shoot for some of us. I loved how the cockpit was customizable on the fly. Held down a button to move the HUD elements around. We would move them to match MW4 and set up the controls the same and it played just like MW4 (just smoother).

Used to love dropping in games that were 2v4 or 1v4 against us, just so I'd have more targets to shoot since kills gave bonus money to buy more mechs with.

Offline RepleX-TA

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Inner Sphere Mercenary
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:30 PM »
Wow, I've heard a bit about MPBT. Is there links to download this beta?

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 04:07:03 AM »
Wow, I've heard a bit about MPBT. Is there links to download this beta?

There was back in 2001. But EA shut the project down unfortunately. Its been pretty much abandoned. Innersphere Wars tried to get their planetary system with MW4's gaming engine, but I haven't seen much progress there.

Offline Cowboy

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
  • Wheelman Extrordinaire
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 03:36:21 AM »
I might still have the beta files floating around, but no guarantees.  It would be a 9 year old backup disk, and only the client side software.
"I'm a Cowboy, on a steel horse I ride."

Offline happyguy155

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »
I'd like to add this.  It failed because EA wanted to make customers pay a fee of like 20 bucks a month (or some other ridiculous number back in 2001) to buy a bundle of games, mpbt 3025 included.  They realized it was a failing business plan and cancelled everything.

Necro post  :P

It was 5 bucks a month for just MPBT, a fee I was considering paying. It would have been that or EQ1 at 12.95 a month. Hmm I ended up going to EQ since they shut it down.

I'm almost positive the game was bundled with a few others for a monthly fee. 

The game was only 40 megabytes and the other parts required to run the game are on ea's long gone servers :(

Offline Cannibal_FB

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:23 AM »
I too have the beta files kicking around on my machine - carried over something like 4 hard drive evolutions, from xp--> vista to now 7.

I actually went so far as to mail the former lead developer back in 2006 - got ahold of him too.  According to him the server files would likely never be released by EA, even if the community wanted to support it.  They know there's value in it but they have no intention of doing anything with it :(

Offline Cannibal_FB

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
Forgot to mention - I played as Tolkien back then - originally with Liao, but switched over to Kurita when 3 of my IRL friends were playing for that side.

I still remember the urbanmech duels... trashcan alley with the knowledge that a single hit can be the end of either of you.

The ammo bug was a big problem for a long time though - anyone remember that?  a single hit that didn't penetrate the armor and you were down :D

In answer to the question about damage random locations causing energy weapons to be OP, yeah that was a problem - the response of the game designers was to put 20 points of armor on the head of all mechs so they couldn't be one shotted, but centre torso was a far bigger problem - 4 taps of the mouse with a Jenner and a mech had a hole clean through it.

I would love to see some similar adaptation of this mod to support a 'persistent world' and would be willing to stump up some hardware/bandwidth to host a world.