Author Topic: [WIP] Blood Asp  (Read 19619 times)

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
[WIP] Blood Asp
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:36 PM »
Hi guys, seeing there isn't an actual Art or modelling forum here I'm just going to chuck this thread up here seeing it's battletech related :p

I'm currently making a Blood Asp based off Pawel Czarnecki's Highpoly Blood Asp (Fricking beautiful model). My intentions are to remake the entire Blood Asp as close to Pawel's version then once thats done start altering/adding bits and pieces to make this beast my own in a unique way. I intend to make a few varients with different legs and weapon combo's etc. I've even been considering a 90+ ton  jump-jet version :p

Anyway here's a series of renders starting with the feet and ending with the completed leg, next step the hip assembly! Poly count is coming in at a nice 53 thousand Tris per leg!

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: [WIP] Blood Asp
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »
Looking good so far. Keep going!

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
Ok small update, guess whats completed :p

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
One query has bugged me since you posted the first B&W Environmental/SkyLight render of you WIP BloodAsp Sly´, why do you divide it in the middle with a black upper part and with that said the model is all jagged on the edge due to a Wand>Bucket fill selection in Photoshop! Also the renders suffer greatly under to much occlusion in the size you have chosen.

The model, as is, looks good, and your following the concept/model nicely. (BTW Did you use the model in your lib to work out from?)

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »
The only reason it's got that awful 'line' around the edges in the black is the way the occlusion render is done in maya I think, I haven't touched them in PS at all and proberly won't until I've got my scene organised later on.

Ik'll add a wall in behind in future ;)

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Oh I didnt knew it was Maya, it looked like 3DS Max, thou I have neither seen a render from Maya that looks like your. The jagged black background look as said above. Might it not just work to place a wall behind.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:59 PM »
Yer I'll add a wall in and it should remove that outline, it's just the way the render works with nothing behind it

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
Evening, the  hip section is now completed along with the area where the upper body connects into it's 'turntable'. I'll be starting on the upper torso area tomorrow! YESSSSSSS!

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:04:10 PM »
I've used maya (and max) for like 3 months now (inspired by this site :P), and I couldn't even copy how one of the toes looked ... damn I suck, really nice looking model though mate.

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »
You could. Take a box and add a poly-modifier to it, select a side (left, right or top), make an insertion and extrude the inserted polygon. That´s basically it! It´s only when you start having 10th of modifiers on a box that it gets difficult. Elsewhere for learning it, its mostly boxing out the model itself, using a new box for each detail, but that leaves you with a model with to many boxes and a headache when you finally have to wield it together.

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »
I've used maya (and max) for like 3 months now (inspired by this site :P), and I couldn't even copy how one of the toes looked ... damn I suck, really nice looking model though mate.

It's not about sucking it's about taking awhile to learn how to do things right, basically stick to one program and go from there, find tutorials on the net (maya for instance has some great video tuts in it's help section) and study them and learn what you can, also just play around with each tool and see what it does to different shapes. You'll get there just have faith in it.

Have the time all I do is just take a cube for instance and move it's vert's in order to get the new shape and make a few divsions here and there and alter again.

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
  • You can always go a little harder.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »
Lookin pretty good.
"You must never give into despair.  Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. 
In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner-strength."

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:44 PM »

It's not about sucking it's about taking awhile to learn how to do things right, basically stick to one program and go from there, find tutorials on the net (maya for instance has some great video tuts in it's help section) and study them and learn what you can, also just play around with each tool and see what it does to different shapes. You'll get there just have faith in it.

Have the time all I do is just take a cube for instance and move it's vert's in order to get the new shape and make a few divsions here and there and alter again.

I've done low poly modeling (for a cod4/5 mod) so my modeling is not bad, but I just can't seem to make a convincing looking mech at all, as you say though it's all about practice.  I've gone with maya as that's what I used to work with mainly anyway and it seems quicker to work with for me.

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:23 AM »

I've done low poly modeling (for a cod4/5 mod) so my modeling is not bad, but I just can't seem to make a convincing looking mech at all, as you say though it's all about practice.  I've gone with maya as that's what I used to work with mainly anyway and it seems quicker to work with for me.

Ok well stick with maya and go from there, if you need some help give me a buzz on here or msn me at Racktor[at]hotmail.com I'm not on MSN that much.

As for the mech, no update today, been down with a nasty migraine today so maybe tomorrow sometime if I'm feeling better

Offline Masakari

• I wont forgot to brung it next time :downs:
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-1
  • Better safe than sorry.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »
I don't understand what you're doing.

How i play this is it just for making it or playing and making it

Sherrell's legs...