Author Topic: Anti Missle Systems/Artillery Interceptors  (Read 5662 times)

Offline Criminal

• Founder Wandering Samurai
  • Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-3
    • MechWarrior: Living Legends
Anti Missle Systems/Artillery Interceptors
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:49:51 PM »
Question for all the battletech experts does this sort of weapon exist in the btech universe?

I know AMS (Anti missle systems) exists but im curious how many different variants of them there are. In addition we'd like to know if there is anything similar to the "patriot" anti missle system for interception of artillery in the btech universe.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:01:35 PM by Criminal »

Offline Killgarr

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Re: Anti Missle Systems/Artillery Interceptors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:15:49 PM »
As far as I know there were 2 types of AMS, clan and IS, IS taking more room for it and for ammo.

And just for clarification, the Patriot system is an anti-missle system, there is no know thing that can stop incoming artillery in RL or Batteltech.

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:21:45 PM »
I know the patriot is for incoming missles the thing i was trying to find was something that performs the same way except against incoming artillery. (I AM in the military ;) )

Offline Dober

• Bondsman
  • "Blackout" Malice - Quad Barrels of Doom
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:55 PM »
AFAIK there's no artillery interception system available.
Question is, if you want to have stuff like Arrows and Long Toms be interceptable.

However, it is rumored that you can intercept Arrows with LBX weapons in MW4Mercs,
but I couldn't confirm that yet (rather difficult to do under battle conditions).

Oh just saw the comment about Patriot ... well as for Patriots:
it's actually anti-arcraft and also useful against larger and slower missiles, like Tomahawks.
Also, Patriot crews received a good dose of radiation in the past, you know what I mean ;)

P.S.: Just saw that "official" info stated Patriot being anti-missile.
Well I was also military, draw your own conclusions LOL
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 04:41:15 PM by Dober »

Offline Wolf74

• Bondsman
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »
There are two basic types of AMS system in CBT. Ammo Based & Laser Based.

Ammo Based (Very common)
.5 tons   1 Critical  (Both I.S. & Clan)
When it Fire it eat throw ammo like there is no tomorrow. But has no heat.
I.S. Version only gets 12 burst per ton of ammo
Clan Version gets 24 burst per ton of ammo
(Note if the AMS system is turned on it will fire at the missiles coming in until the missiles are destroyed, it’s out of ammo or the missiles are out of it firing arc.) Each AMS can fire up to 12 burst in a 2.5sec time frame)

Laser Based (Very rare)
1.5 tons   2 Criticals (Both I.S. & Clan)
(Note if the AMS system is turned on it will fire at the missiles coming in until the missiles are destroyed, the missiles are out of it firing arc.) Each AMS can fire up to 12 time in a 2.5sec time frame Each time it fires add one heat to the mechs heat scale. (This System can raise a mechs heat as fast as a PPC firing if the pilots not careful)

Offline Criminal

• Upgraded Lead
  • Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:19:08 PM »
Excellent that's the info we needed.....

So in addition wolf does anything exist in the btech universe to intercept incoming artillery/missles on compound areas? Not necessarily mech antimissle systems but the same concept just on a large scale.

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 07:14:58 PM »
We can also just eliminate the idea of Artillery interceptors all together. Hell, if a team is turtled in so much on an objective, I wouldn't want to have my artillery stopped as well. The Artillery is there to break up fortified encampments so that the troops can do their work without being slaughtered. Just like in BF2, there was nothing you could do to stop Arty from coming except disabling the turrets.

Also if BT didn't have one, then we don't need to put one in ourselves just to follow QW.

I'm for NOT putting in the Arty Interceptors, but for sure keep the Anti-Missile Systems.

Offline death_grin

• *woot*
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
  • Level Design/Enviromental artist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »
AHggg..I just typed out a long post on how current anti-missile and artillery warning systems currently work but I timed out and logged out automaticly for some dumb reason.  But basicly if you take todays current system and add a laser and a more sensitive tracing system you could take out nearly anything, because light is so fast.  Only problem is you need a direct line of sight with the object to hit it.  This system would be made up of a central command center (the brain) warning and tracking stations that emit pulses that track incoming fire (nerve centers+nerves) and mechs and ground based laser (arms)  If coupled with a orbiting tracking system (via station or satalight) the system would be even more effective.  The point is that it would likly be a area-wide net not just a system for protecting mechs.  I don't recall any such system specificly for BT but I would imagine they would have one.  Unless artillery projectiles go so fast that they cant be accuratly tracked.  But in a age where lasers and intergalactic ships are common I doubt this would be problem. 

Could make for a interesting map objective though

+Level Designer!

Offline Dober

• Bondsman
  • "Blackout" Malice - Quad Barrels of Doom
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
Just an idea:
Microwaves might be useful for detonating shells and missiles prematurely, though I haven't seen BT develop in that direction. Could be implemented as an experimental large scale system (origins dating back to the star league era maybe) to guard important planetary structures from long range artillery or orbital bombardment (missiles only).

Offline Wolf74

• Bondsman
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
There are no anti-Artillery systems that I know in CBT. The Average speed of a true Artillery shell in CBT (NOT the snubnosed Versions you saw in MW4) is about 728Mph or 1171Kph

Offline xKamikazex

• Creative Director
  • Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
  • Don't lose your head over MWLL
    • Mech Warrior Living Legends
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »
Just an idea:
Microwaves might be useful for detonating shells and missiles prematurely, though I haven't seen BT develop in that direction. Could be implemented as an experimental large scale system (origins dating back to the star league era maybe) to guard important planetary structures from long range artillery or orbital bombardment (missiles only).

Well that sounds like a big objective type building, not necessarily a deployable of sorts. How ever, I do like the Microwave idea and that seems completely plausible in terms of BT standards IMO. If we were to create an Anti-Artillery Deployable I'd believe the Microwave emitter type.

Offline Irish

• Bondsman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
If I remember correctly there is a section in the Max Tech book about taking down arrow IV and The thunderbolt with LBX and Pulse tech.  I'll see if I can dig it up

Offline Hellfire

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 10:19:12 AM »
Just an idea:

Well that sounds like a big objective type building, not necessarily a deployable of sorts. How ever, I do like the Microwave idea and that seems completely plausible in terms of BT standards IMO. If we were to create an Anti-Artillery Deployable I'd believe the Microwave emitter type.
Something like that did happen in the Battletech Universe.  During one of the many attempts to take Hesperus  II the defending Lyrans turned microwave transmitters used to power some facility in orbit onto the attacking Combine dropships.  Needless to say they blew them out of the sky. Fried snake.

Offline PanzerBoxb

• Captain Cheese™
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »
I always had generally consistent results intercepting Arrow IV's with my Mech's head.

Offline Wolf74

• Bondsman
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 01:33:57 AM »
Ok just finish double check the Maxtech book, There are no adv-rules in CBT to intercept in coming Longto,Sniper,Thumper or Arrow IV System Artillery weapons. The only thing in Ammo type for them and Counter-Battery Fire which is being able to target about where the shell came from so your Artillery can shot back at the unit on the other team firing,