Author Topic: A Serious topic  (Read 1990 times)

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
A Serious topic
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »
Something very serious that I'm happy they are redressing (with the families permission of course).

For years it's horrified me that those that die in the name of our democracies are ignored and hushed up, denied the recognition that they deserve.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29410258?GT1=43001

At the going down of the sun, and in the mornings, we will remember them.

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • You can always go a little harder.
Re: A Serious topic
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:08 AM »
sorry i didnt click the link.
i didnt know what it was about. :-[
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:36:56 AM by Gnarlycharly »
"You must never give into despair.  Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. 
In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner-strength."

Offline SummerRider

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
The article is talking about the lifting of the ban on photographing coffins of dead solders.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
It never should have been a governmental decision. Itīs the family and relatives that should be the ones to decides if it was published or not. Might the ban of the photos have been set, because they did not want another rage against the US and their war-politics, as under the Vietnam venture.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »
The article is talking about the lifting of the ban on photographing coffins of dead solders.
\
well i still shouldn't of put that pic up and said what i did.
"You must never give into despair.  Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. 
In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner-strength."

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »
Don't beat yourself up over it GC, I didn't even see the pic, and a lot of folks won't even have read this thread (Toast only gets a fraction of the forum views).  You retracted and we all make mistakes.

I agree with Kitlightning, I think it really was that cynical, even in Britain, after the first year they followed the US lead and stopped honouring the fallen correctly too, which disgusted me. The families permission is everything I agree, but in a culture where the celebrity is made a hero, we should instead honour the real hero's regardless of how unpopular it makes our war, they deserve ino less IMO.

Pecuniam non olet

Offline (TLL)Nick

• Lance Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
I read it. And, Toast is one of my favorite sections, lots of good stuff to go around. And I agree with you, Heretic. The dead should never be forgotten.

Offline Loonatic

• Lance Sergeant
    • MySpace page
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:30 PM »
I agree absolutely.  Our fallen soldiers are heroes, and should never have been quietly and quickly shoved out of sight for purely political/propaganda reasons.  If Bush didn't want American dead seen and honored in the media, he sure as hell shouldn't have started the war in the first place.  I've always been ashamed of the way the loss of so many American soldiers was hushed up and glossed over.  The best we were able to see was a body count, with very few stories/pictures of the fallen, although there were exceptions.

It's almost as bad as those religious whackjobs that like to protest at soldier's funerals because they 'died supporting a country that allows gay marriage'.

Offline SummerRider

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
Just to put something on the flip side of the argument.

I think some people are not interested in honoring the dead so much as selling stories.  I can't remember when I last saw a media tribute using coffins to the dead soldier as honoring.  Take a look at most of the obituary listings in your local paper, if you paper still has an obituary section.  The pictures are all from them during their life.  They are not pictures of the the tombstones or the coffins.

Different perspectives on how to honor the dead.  {shrug}  They should not be forgotten, but then I guess a different question to ask.  Have we already forgotten the people from WW1 and WW2? 

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
Just to put something on the flip side of the argument.

I think some people are not interested in honoring the dead so much as selling stories.  I can't remember when I last saw a media tribute using coffins to the dead soldier as honoring.
i cant either.

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
Showing the coffins isn't respectful per se, showing the repatriation ceremony with the coffins and full military honours is what I think most of us mean when we consider this a good thing.

In Britain, Sky news (our version of Fox) used to show the repatriations, then they stopped.  Coffins don't sell the news (I'm sure they'd rather have gun-cams and body parts as they are Wh@res by definition).

IMHO I think the media should be forced to cover these ceremonies, at noon each day, by law (but only with the families consent first and foremost), and school and college kids should be made to attend to understand the price of our freedom and the sacrifice that it is based on.

As for WWI and WWII, each village square and church in Britain has a monument to those that fell, makes it hard to forget when you see your ancestors names in stone on monuments.

Pecuniam non olet

Offline SummerRider

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 11:24:31 PM »
As for WWI and WWII, each village square and church in Britain has a monument to those that fell, makes it hard to forget when you see your ancestors names in stone on monuments.

In that regard you are lucky.  We have monuments but everyone doesn't see them day to day.