Author Topic: All aboard the BA Battlebus!  (Read 6538 times)

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
All aboard the BA Battlebus!
« on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
Started building a man-walker so I can learn rigging and animation, its very low poly as my other objective is to get a final good mesh in at under 2Mb, and I've avoided booleans almost completely, so the mesh should be a lot better than my first effort.

I've uploaded the scene as "WIP Firemoth.RsScn" on Turbosquid Tentacles if any of my fellow 3D students want to play with it.

Crits are welcome as always.

EDIT: Just realised I hadn't published the file (and the Stiletto) correctly, they shoiuld be there now.

*" border="0
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:57:51 PM by (TLL) Heretic »

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • You can always go a little harder.
Re: All aboard the BA Battlebus!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »
I fell this thread is going to get somewhere(preferably MWLL).
"You must never give into despair.  Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. 
In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner-strength."

Offline Masakari

• I wont forgot to brung it next time :downs:
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-1
  • Better safe than sorry.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
?

Ps, firemoth is my least favorite mech :cry:

How i play this is it just for making it or playing and making it

Sherrell's legs...

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
@GC, thanks, but I think it'll take me more than a month to get up to the level of skill needed for MW:LL.

@Mas, how can you not love the Firemoth, it's the fastest little bugger in Battletech! 216Kph or there abouts with MASC engaged, show me a Ghost Bear Elemental who doesn't want to ride to battle on top of that?  All that speed and 2, yes 2! Full tons of Ferro Fibrous armour to boot!  :D

Does anyone know of any good rigging tutorials (doesn't have to be truespace, just to get the basic concepts would be great, using the dopesheet etc preferred rather than the rather artificial looking Procedural Animation that TS seems to prefer) ?

Pecuniam non olet

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 10:06:04 PM »
In mechwarrior 2 if you ungraded the engine all the way and jump jets to max and had a lowest gravity planet you could reach well over 600 KPH.
"You must never give into despair.  Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. 
In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself.  That is the meaning of inner-strength."

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »
@GC, thanks, but I think it'll take me more than a month to get up to the level of skill needed for MW:LL.

@Mas, how can you not love the Firemoth, it's the fastest little bugger in Battletech! 216Kph or there abouts with MASC engaged, show me a Ghost Bear Elemental who doesn't want to ride to battle on top of that?  All that speed and 2, yes 2! Full tons of Ferro Fibrous armour to boot!  :D

Does anyone know of any good rigging tutorials (doesn't have to be truespace, just to get the basic concepts would be great, using the dopesheet etc preferred rather than the rather artificial looking Procedural Animation that TS seems to prefer) ?

I'm another guy who dose not like the firemoth, and I play GB. I use more durable mechs for BA taxis or APCs like the Svantovit and Tyr (which will smoke the Firemoth most of the time with that ER Large laser). I also like the Anhur VTOL. Though at the lest the Firemoth dose make a good mech BA Taxi...

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »

here and here[/url for maya rigging, there are some other nice tutorials on that site as well.  But it really does vary from package to package (although the basics are still there, joints + iks + control nodes).

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
Outstanding Gheist! Thank you muchly!  8)  Thats my homework for next week sorted (busy tonight and all weekend so no modeling for me :( )

@Nebfer, I hear what your saying and agree with the analysis, but one thing comes to mind...a Battlebus doesn't have to be survivable if it's fast, in fact for that role speed is preferred over firepower or armour (the Firemoth still can take more hits than an APC, whereas the APC is still in the combat zone when the Dasher is a dot on the horizon).  Putting your toads on a slower chasis is exposing them to unreturnable fire for longer IMO.

I wish I could model with enough skill to get fast moving BA taxis's into the game, imagine dropping off 5 Elementals while your 'mech falls apart, arm here, side torso there....then ejecting (with the damage that will do to your opponent too big and slow to jump away) and suddenly your Elemental #6!  Those sound like some fun times right there  ;D

Pecuniam non olet

Offline Gnarlycharly

• Lance Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
Edit for my last post. i tryed it yesterday on lowest gravity possible and engine upgraded and i got well over 1000 KPH almost to 1100 with MASC and JJ.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:46:41 PM by Gnarlycharly »

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »
Thought I'd throw another quick render in (haven't had time to update the scene on tentacles, perhaps I'll have time before monday), the body mesh I'm particularily proud of as its got the space for the cockpit already to go, and the object is under 100k, so the model's about 400k so far (a bit of a change from the 20Mb of the Stiletto, so I'm on target for 2mb with details I think, so very happy so far).  There's no bug-like rear armour carapace yet (to give it that insect look).

*" border="0

Pecuniam non olet

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »
Nice work so far heretic, what program are you using I think I might of missed that info.

What sort of poly count are you aimming for you said it was around 400k file size so far? So what an aim of 100k polys?

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 12:13:10 AM »
Thanks SA, I don't really know what poly count it'll end up as, my aim is to get it in under 2MB, so I'll finish the torso, do the arms then start detailing till I've got up to that limit, then I'll animate it! (with any luck).  Its done in Truespace as I can't justify spending the cash for Maya or 3DSMax on my new hobby.  I've just uploaded the WIP firemoth omnimech2.RsScn scene file onto turbosquid tentacles if you want to have a look at it (as thanks to an insane semi-ferral rescue cat redecorating our hallway our plans for this evening went south).

Pecuniam non olet

Offline Sly Assassin

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 03:12:16 AM »
Thanks SA, I don't really know what poly count it'll end up as, my aim is to get it in under 2MB, so I'll finish the torso, do the arms then start detailing till I've got up to that limit, then I'll animate it! (with any luck).  Its done in Truespace as I can't justify spending the cash for Maya or 3DSMax on my new hobby.  I've just uploaded the WIP firemoth omnimech2.RsScn scene file onto turbosquid tentacles if you want to have a look at it (as thanks to an insane semi-ferral rescue cat redecorating our hallway our plans for this evening went south).

Kewl sounds like you've got yourself a nice project.

PS check your PM's....

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
Finished the low poly (7K Poly) version of my Firemoth omnimech that I'll use to learn rigging, its published on Truespace Tentacles as WIP Firemoth Omnimech.RsObj (actually there's 2 versions, the smaller version is missing the little finger off each hand, but I'm not sure how to delete it).  I'm pleased as at 1.8Mb it is under the 2 Mb limit I set myself :)

Crits welcome as always

*" border="0

Pecuniam non olet

Offline CHH Ghost

• Recruit
  • Theta Galaxy Commanding Officer
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
Great work man. I wish it would be put into the game. It just so happens that the firemoth is one of my favorite light mechs, if not for the firepower, for the speed.