Author Topic: How were you introduced to the Mechwarrior universe?  (Read 22193 times)

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
How were you introduced to the Mechwarrior universe?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »
So I'm quite interested in how people were actually introduced the massive world of Mechwarrior and Battletech.

Personally I started at a very early age first off with the boardgame and then the P&P RPG game, then of course bought the computer games later on.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
Re: How were you introduced to the Mechwarrior universe?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
Novels, started reading them when i was . . what? 5 or 6 years old or something like that i think . .
Mercenary Star was the first, i had been hooked before i had completely read through the book. . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline AoP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +53/-2
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
My first encounter was with the very first MW pc game which I played with a friend back in the day, who has always been and is to this day very much into TCGs and P&P games.

Offline KiloEcho

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
  • aka FreebirthScum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
I discovered Battletech like everything else that I liked: accidentally.

I was eight years old and a friend showed me the original Warcraft game.  I told my grandparents about this and somehow mistook it for the MechWarrior 2 cd that came with my grandfather's new computer.  Instantly liked it.

Six years later, discovered the novels in a bookstore, again on accident.  Instantly sealed something I thought of as "kick-ass" to "something that'll permanently be a part of my soul."  Bought them religiously for the next few years until End Game was published and mourned about WizKids and Dark Age, until I discovered this mod... on accident.

Believing in a political party is not a sign of a person's intelligence, just his willingness to be led about by the nose.
Individual conviction and decisive actions are the signs of true intelligence.

~Admiral James McKenna.  September 15, 2313

Offline Kiriko Mikino

• Recruit
    • Jenjen's Drawing Place
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
You forgot to put the Battletech cartoon up there
Nova Captain Kiriko

Offline Ghiest

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »
You forgot to put the Battletech cartoon up there

No, no I didn't.  I just neglected to put it up there ... I think out of shame of having to admit I knew, or worse I had actually watched an episode.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:12:39 PM »
I watched the whole shebang . . i felt cheated afterwards
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Flyingdebris

• Bushy B is my homeboy
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +135/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 07:38:40 PM »
not quite mechwarrior.... Battletech, the top down madcat shootem up sega genesis game, then mechwarrior 2 mercs, then the cartoons, books, everything else.
Wherever mechs are needed, I am there

Offline (TLL)Highlander

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
  • Toast Exile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
i was so young i was practically riding on my dad's shoulder (i very well may have been) when we were walking to the checkout line in Circuit City and they had MW3 on a rack up front and i said "hey dad lets get that one" and he said that is "didn't look very good", a few hours after i convinced him to get it, he ate those words, since then played most of the MW4s and even went back to MW2 for a short time.
All of my posts are of my personal opinions unless obviously otherwise.
Punkbuster: Keeping legitimate players out since 2000

Offline Cauldron Borne

• Bondsman
  • CO- Wolfs dragoons
    • The best Mercs in the IS
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:48 AM »
I discovered Battletech like everything else that I liked: accidentally.

I was eight years old and a friend showed me the original Warcraft game.  I told my grandparents about this and somehow mistook it for the MechWarrior 2 cd that came with my grandfather's new computer.  Instantly liked it.

Six years later, discovered the novels in a bookstore, again on accident.  Instantly sealed something I thought of as "kick-ass" to "something that'll permanently be a part of my soul."  Bought them religiously for the next few years until End Game was published and mourned about WizKids and Dark Age, until I discovered this mod... on accident.

Similar "i accidently" a massive obession hahah. Saw Mech 2 on the PS1 at a mates n thought OMG i have to find it. As it turned out we got that same disk with the mech 2 game.

Been gaming ever since when ever i could on a mech fetish.

Offline Tiger842

• Lance Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »
Our first "family" computer in 97' came with Mechwarrior 2 and Heroes II. Ah, those were some great times...

Offline PapaFade

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:05 PM »
I played Battletech the boardgame, long before I had a PC. I was 11, so about 23 yrs ago :) Only played it with this 1 friend, 'till I moved schools. Then I didn't play it again for 10/11 yrs. I started then on Mechwarrior3 on the PC (on a m8's PC as it happens) and so loved it, I spent 800on a PC just so I could play it. I bought the Mech collection pack, which had Pirates Moon and MechCommander Gold with it (and a tragic T-Shirt!) and never looked back. I played the boardgame with the same friend for a few years and of course bought every PC Mech title after that.

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 03:59:10 PM »
I had the T Shirt too  ;D

Played a few games of the tabletop with friends back way back in the early eighties, but they never got into it that much (all too young and still playing AD&D and Star Trek fleet battle games) until Aerotech came out, and the Battlesystem (? or similar IIRC).

Really got addicted playing the old Amiga (Mechforce?) game, as I never had the space to play the tabletop game properly.

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
Booh! you all suck for getting things like this collection pack with pirates moon and shirt <.< . .
Win7Ultimate64

Offline PapaFade

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »
Your jealosy is oh so transparent Stahlseele  ;D :-*