Author Topic: Aerospace Known Issues  (Read 14092 times)

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
Re: Aerospace Known Issues
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:46 PM »
Crashing with Sulla happens because the landing gear take a bit longer to lower than other planes and they have a habit of sometimes starting to lower later than you thought they would (only by 0.25-0.75 seconds but this is usually enough as they already take long enough to go down that it's cutting it close anyway)

This is the ONLY reason it happens, I've tested it. Try landing on the eastern runway on sandblasted (the one that's behind the pyramid) and come in from the front. If you watch your shadow and only land once the shadow of your landing gear has been fully deployed for about a tenth to a quarter of a second you will never crash

Sometimes it looks like your landing gear clipped through because you touched down when they were 99% down but not yet an actual solid thing on your plane that collides so you belly land instead
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:52:18 PM by =KoS= Tripod »

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
 all aero's suddenly cut out throttle to zero and i slowly float to the ground and usally hit a hill or mountain.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Bruno_007

• Apprentice Dev
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Osiris hats: sold out. ~Str1k3r
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »
If your engine gets destroyed you can no longer use the throttle. It wasn't that?
Tools and I:
   - MWLL Online Launcher (LAN UDP Forwarder) - evolution of past "Le Proof of Concepto" project: connect without Gamespy via packet redirection;
   - Vehicle Browser - "Pocket Wiki" Šokaolias (not really that though);
   - Rconnect 4.3 - Server tools: map manager/player voting add-ons;
   - CryHammer - Validates Patch/CDKey of Crysis Wars (now unable to validate CDKey due to turned off Gamespy servers).

Offline Malaclypse

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +29/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Did you get a red X on your screen before crashing?

MWLL takes a lot of CPU power and a lower end system that performs acceptable for mechs may choke at the faster travel speeds of aeros. 

Offline Alexis Kerensky

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-151
  • What's a matter, wolf got your ride?
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
If your engine gets destroyed you can no longer use the throttle. It wasn't that?
nope i was flying out of base and suddenly AHHH!!

Did you get a red X on your screen before crashing?

MWLL takes a lot of CPU power and a lower end system that performs acceptable for mechs may choke at the faster travel speeds of aeros.
  my good sir I have a quad core more than capable at running this game on ultra the only issue i've had is lag. Though i could use more ram.
Ferro-Fibrous armor deflecting insults and protecting from damage since 2571.

I am The wolf Chosen of Kerensky. As a  Warden clansmen i protect those who cannot fight for themselves and seek only to find peace in humanity. The Wolf's Dragoons were the spies of the clan sent by the clan wolf. It was through them that we  both realized that the inner sphere were people just like us.
Runway is the only one who can make it to Khan rank without ever moving.
Do not mess with the runway, runway always wins.

Offline Trogdor

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +4/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:24 PM »
Crashing with Sulla happens because the landing gear take a bit longer to lower than other planes and they have a habit of sometimes starting to lower later than you thought they would (only by 0.25-0.75 seconds but this is usually enough as they already take long enough to go down that it's cutting it close anyway)

This is the ONLY reason it happens, I've tested it. Try landing on the eastern runway on sandblasted (the one that's behind the pyramid) and come in from the front. If you watch your shadow and only land once the shadow of your landing gear has been fully deployed for about a tenth to a quarter of a second you will never crash

Sometimes it looks like your landing gear clipped through because you touched down when they were 99% down but not yet an actual solid thing on your plane that collides so you belly land instead
Um. Well this post is a year old, but I'm pretty sure there's more going on here than he suggests. The reason I say this is because there is one map, I forget the name, it's a terrain control map with a bigass crater in the middle with a control point in it. On this map, the airbases are right next to the mech hangars, and so there is an extremely long stretch of flat, paved road that eventually transitions into the runway for the airbase.

There have been several occasions where I've asked members of my team to watch me while I land as they're coming out of the mech hangar. I fly low and slow for several seconds over this flat ground, past the mech hangar,  leaving plenty of time for the landing gear to lower itself. And after I touch what I think is my main gear down, then explode spectacularly the moment the nose lowers and the plane has its full belly resting on the pavement, they all say my landing gear has been retracted the whole time and I did a graceful bellyflop.

Even if this was the case, it's really not acceptable because on most maps the runways are relatively short. You don't have a lot of time to float over the runway waiting for your gear to extend, you'll often end up overshooting it or running off the edge.

Stupid question: Why can't we just make the landing gear a toggle with the crouch key, so I can lower it manually in advance instead of relying on the game to detect my proximity to the ground?

Offline Bloodycrow

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +134/-24
  • "Living Lurker"
    • Planetary League Site
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 02:59:49 AM »
Stupid question: Why can't we just make the landing gear a toggle with the crouch key, so I can lower it manually in advance instead of relying on the game to detect my proximity to the ground?

We are in the process of adding manual landing gear deploy/retract controls to the game for aerospace.

Offline KH Zalaran

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +5/-1
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
i would suggest making a slightly longer runway as well or dont put things like hills infront of the strip which forces a high than normal approach like sandblasted i hate that runway