Author Topic: 'MechLab Custom 'Mechs and Ranking Up  (Read 13144 times)

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
Re: 'MechLab Custom 'Mechs and Ranking Up
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2010, 03:26:02 AM »
I don't see how it ruins teamplay, except in the cases of using Narc and TAG to guide artillery into a target. As a Clanner you are still going to want your Starmate near you to make sure you don't get overwhelmed by the Inner Sphere surats in their outdated battlemechs, you simply aren't going to be rewarded nearly as well if you focus fire together on one target. If you each select targets and eliminate them (and manage to survive) then you will be rewarded with much honor, which is the behavior the system encourages.

You stated it would ruin team play earlier, then mention below it that the majority of players already play as lone wolfs. This system encourages game play and team work as much as the game already does. Your objective is still to kill the other guys, the only thing this changes is how you do it. If you decide that chasing a single guy through an entire IS company is a good idea, then go for it. Otherwise, let the coward retreat under the superior range of your clan weaponry. If he gets away, then the dishonor is yours to bear. You could fire on other targets around, just make sure not to dishonor yourself more by firing on a starmate's rightful prey or he might get upset. :P

Seriously though, I see your point, but really, it just comes to down to rewards. The rewards aren't going to stop you from turning your attention away from "the one that got away" to his buddy who isn't fleeing. You just won't get as much of a reward for doing so. However, think of it on the Innersphere side. One of their lancemates retreated, now one of them is taking combined fire and is going to die extremely quickly. In the short term, the clans may have won the battle, but in the long term the clans may not have earned enough honor to upgrade their mechs to something heavier. The IS may have done enough damage to repair, or respawn with a bigger beast, and the pendulum with swing back and forth.

You don't need uneven teams to make it fair. Playing CBT with Battlevalue (MWLL equivalent of C-bills) you could easily make a "balanced" game with even numbers of mechs between IS and Clan. The Clans would simply end up in much lighter machines than the IS team would. That's all I'm proposing here to balance the scaling of clan weaponry into the "insane" range. Remember, this is what makes a Madcat that much more scary than a Warhammer.

The people going for better weapons is fine, the trick is that they are bringing fewer of them to any given battle than the IS. Sure, the clans may have CERPPCs, but they likely can only field one of them on a Uller initially, meanwhile the IS will be fielding two PPCs on their Uziels, or an equally impressive Gauss Rifle on their Hollanders. The CERPPC is better than the IS version, but the IS has the weight advantage to even the playing field.

Offline Nitro_R

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +23/-1

Offline Flyingdebris

• Bushy B is my homeboy
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +135/-0
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:16 AM »
zellbringen works fine if you decide to play in some RP server or all the people playing agree to the rules beforehand in some tourney environment or what have you.  However in a regular online enviro, really, its not gonna work.  The average player is probably only loosely familiar with BT fiction or might not even  know what a clanner is beyond some prefix that implies better gear.

Something that punishes you for common sense strategies, just to make a side feel more clan like, while the other side has free reign to do as thou wilt will more than likely just lead to a lot of frustrated players.

Another thing about zellbrigen rules, its way easier to stick to them when you have a turn based strategy game going on where every action is deliberated upon.  But drop a player in real time in the middle of a 12 player pileup where you have to switch priorities and targets every few seconds and have damage coming from any direction with fire support shooting in from a distance, and BA are hopping around,  and zellbrigen becomes an impossible hindrance.

Better i think would be to give IS certain types of advantages that serve to blunt the clan tech advantage a bit.  Various AC alternate ammos for example that clanners simply do not have.  More use of artillery support. Cheaper mechs.  Perhaps certain types of IS gear are more resilient, on account of the extra weight.  i dunno.  but there are ways to balance things that don't involve gimping play style with esoteric knowledge only us hardcore nerds know.

Wherever mechs are needed, I am there

Offline 7.[WD]Ragor

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +111/-3
  • Maj.7thWolf'sDragoons a.D.
    • 7th. Regiment 'eta' Wolf Dragoons
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:56 AM »
(...)
Better i think would be to give IS certain types of advantages that serve to blunt the clan tech advantage a bit.  Various AC alternate ammos for example that clanners simply do not have.
(...)

I'm getting (again) a bit offtopic now. But I take every chance to bring in (or agree with like atm) the idea of different ammo types for AC. At least HE and AP ammo.
Variant A: choosen when purchasing ammo
Variant B: every load of ammo is split in e.g. 8 AP shells and 8 HE shells
Switch between different kinds of ammo takes double the time like reloading. (remove shell and reload the other shell)

HE: splash damage but less damage on impact impact section
AP: no splash damage (like a gauss)
HEAT: no splash but higher chance for cores going critical/destroying wespons (more expensive to purchase)
Flechette: turning the AC into a LBX

Offline =KoS=Zeus

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +83/-0
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 11:23:35 AM »
Less focus on punishing you for not playing the "clan way" but rewarding you for when you do. Just like IS will not be punished for combining fire, but rewarded for when they take out a clan mech single handed.

Offline UnrealQuaker221

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
I think the balancing of Clan and IS weapons worked the best in Mechwarrior 4. Clan weaponry in general did more damage but produced more heat . This seemed to work fine. I don't think a rank-based buying system or the innability to eject would balance out easily.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Umm, That's how it works here, but as heat is a bit broken ATM, IS mechs had to be buffed in other ways (mainly armor) to keep them even Cbill to Cbill

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »
The original post was made more than a year ago around version 0.2.  We are now in 0.5.

Did you really make a forum account solely to respond to a post from over a year ago?
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline Ressk [CSF]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +72/-2
  • Khan of [CSF]
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
The original post was made more than a year ago around version 0.2.  We are now in 0.5.

Did you really make a forum account solely to respond to a post from over a year ago?
now thaaats what i call some LEETHAX
Recruitment Page For CSF

click the pic /\
ULLER4LYFE! the internet hates CSF

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
lol, I didn't even notice that XD

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
I think the balancing of Clan and IS weapons worked the best in Mechwarrior 4. Clan weaponry in general did more damage but produced more heat . This seemed to work fine. I don't think a rank-based buying system or the innability to eject would balance out easily.

Welcome to the forums thread necromancer.   ;)

Offline Ward

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
If they are going to make a mech lab, then custom paintjobs should be Incorporated into it. Several notable mechwarriors have had custom paintjobs on their mechs. Natasha Kerensky had an all black Warhammer, the Kell Hounds had a black an red trim paintjob, clanners had flat grey, Smoke Jags had a spotty grey cameo, ect. I just think that it would add to a sense of uniqueness to each mech pilots mech if They could have it painted uniquely.
What is worse then an Assult Clan Mech bearing down on you? There is a point of BA riding it!