Author Topic: clan and member charter  (Read 7155 times)

Offline CHHs Cyan

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +12/-0
  • c-bills in my hand, or blood on my gauss
clan and member charter
« on: March 19, 2010, 01:02:04 AM »
I know this is just a beta and i know after time we cant have everyone on a wiki page
but IMHO the community is very important to games like these and personally clans like "[TLL]" and "assets incorperated" running some of the better servers these guys deserve reconition.

but in the broader scheme of things it would be nice to get a list of some of the founding clans, and some of their history and members list if not just for continuity

things like names, name origins, origin&date of creation, members, leadership , servers & IP's , logo's/banners, time zone

maybe this sort of thing needs its own page like MWLL founding clans

any opinions or discussion alyways welcome.
I agree that money doesn't bring happiness, all I ask is a chance to prove it.

Offline 7.[WD]Poldi

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • Col. 7th Reg. Wolfs Dragoons
    • 7th Wolf Dragoons HQ
Re: clan and member charter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
I like the idea, though I'm not sure if the wiki is the right place for that...

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:54:19 AM »
 I'll say why not? Wiki is a community project, and game clans are an important part of this community. We could make a wiki page dedicated to MWLL clans, so it could be filled with some brief info and a link to a homepage by concerned clan representatives. What's your word on this, Sky_Walker?

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline Snowball

• Legends Arena Staff
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +87/-4
  • raaarrrrrrrr
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »
Gotta agree with Poldi on this one.  Though if you clan members wanted to create your own pages, then there's not much standing in your way, as it is a community wiki.

If the general consensus of the community is the addition of these pages, then by all means; if not, then you may have to find another place for it unfortunately

As far as recognition of the various clans go, I think the majority of players know what's up, and even the newer players catch on quickly.  I wouldn't be against showering these guys with attention and praise, as what they've done for the mod and the community cannot be measured, but the wiki is more a source of knowledge and strategy in regards to the game, not the player base/community.

If these pages were to be created, I'd definitely help out with organization and cleanup, but I'm just not sure if it belongs on the wiki.
Played MWLL for Guillermo del Toro.

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +124/-1
    • The Living Legends Mercenary Unit
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
I think that would be nice. We need a generic layout thhough so pages look similar with the same information on them. We need a template box for a quick overview too.

We should get a list of a) information on the template and b) layout/structure of the page. Then I could write something up for TLL and I am sure others will follow.
Seraph - "The Can Man"
In the heat of battle, legends are born ...

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
I'll say why not? Wiki is a community project, and game clans are an important part of this community. We could make a wiki page dedicated to MWLL clans, so it could be filled with some brief info and a link to a homepage by concerned clan representatives. What's your word on this, Sky_Walker?

In general games-related wikis allow clans/factions/alliances/groups to have their own pages, and I also am supporter of this.
ONLY this brings one huge problem: Quality management.
Perhaps it's not the case now, when we have 4-5 clans active, but in general the "groups" category is always a mess.
Most common are 2 scenarios:
  • Clan member creates a page being link to Clan homepage - unacceptable, imminent deletion from admin side
  • Clan member creates a page which qualifies for nothing more than a stub... and it stays as a stub for eternity.

I tried introducing harsh policy about this on one wiki - the result wasn't good... I mean: On one side there were only quality pages, but on the other I got people bashing me for deletions, while the most active & biggest clans weren't represented at all, making whole category pointless - only some minors spent their time making the pages as a chance for self-advertisement.

So unless the A.I., CHH, and SJ will create a pages about them and try to keep it up to date - I don't think it'd work.

Poldi: I like the idea, though I'm not sure if the wiki is the right place for that...
Snowball: but I'm just not sure if it belongs on the wiki.
IHMO it does - there isn't any other place where you could possibly find an informations about clans. In other games, where there are big, organized leagues or where the games itself allow groups descriptions - you can get this info easily. But currently there is no such thing for MWLL, therefore I think the wiki is the right place.
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
I am sure the bigger units active in this forum and online will keep it updated.
Seraph - "The Can Man"

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 04:26:32 PM »
why not make group pages go through an approval process before they can be put on the site?  Ie they have to be submitted to sky_walker or other wiki admin  to be approved, but once approved they normal members could edit it.

That way there's always a good base line wiki site for the clan even if they don't update it often.

Offline Seraph

• Lead Developer
  • Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
Is that even possible in the Wiki? I mean anyone registered can create page so how to prevent them from publishing it?
Seraph - "The Can Man"

Offline CHHs Cyan

• MechWarrior
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
So unless the A.I., CHH, and SJ will create a pages about them and try to keep it up to date - I don't think it'd work.
Poldi: I like the idea, though I'm not sure if the wiki is the right place for that...
Snowball: but I'm just not sure if it belongs on the wiki.
IHMO it does - there isn't any other place where you could possibly find an informations about clans. In other games, where there are big, organized leagues or where the games itself allow groups descriptions - you can get this info easily. But currently there is no such thing for MWLL, therefore I think the wiki is the right place.

what if we write them up a really bad page, if they dont like it they will be forced to submit their own version, or suffer the humilation,LOL

in all seriousness tho at this point there is only a handfull of clans very active on the forums, its these people that should be reconised, if they are not willing to contribute to the formation of a "founding house/clan charter" then it is simply their loss

as for having a right place for a list of all active clans over the course how about the forums, have a section dedicated to active clans, compleated and verafyed posts get copyed into a long sticky or something, ive run similar things on my forums , even tho my spelling and grammer suck im a mega forum nazi(the fact that there is 2 general discussions drives me mad) if any of you wanna pm me to get my msn or steam, i'd be glad to discuss this in depth,

also i'd love if we could get some sort of open lobby like an irc or something to run conversations from.

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
why not make group pages go through an approval process before they can be put on the site?  Ie they have to be submitted to sky_walker or other wiki admin  to be approved, but once approved they normal members could edit it.
I think that simply posting the page when the rules will be drawn shall be enough.
It's like what we have with weapons - if someone makes a page which doesn't suit the weapons naming policy - the article is moved or deleted. Deleting is easy, adding approval system is not. ;)

as for having a right place for a list of all active clans over the course how about the forums, have a section dedicated to active clans,
but there is already one to list all the clans

Ok, now, the proposition of something working. Tell what you think and what should be added/removed/altered:
a) information on the template

• Emblem - minimum 400x400px
  • Name - full name of the clan
  • Tag - tag posted before members nickname
  • Website - Link
  • Forum - Link
  • Hosts - Names of servers hosted by clans
  • Founders - Name of founder/founders
  • Recruitment - Open/Closed/Invitation only, if open than the link to recruitment officer profile on the MWLL forum should be added
  • Members count - <10 / 10-25 / 25-50 / 50+
  • Affiliation- Merchants / Clans / Inner Sphere / Multi-nation
Template adds article to [[Category:Units and Clans]]
(any ideas for better category name?)

and b) layout/structure of the page.
  • Short summary (just like all the other articles - one to three sentences about the group
  • Description - more extensive info about the group, it's history.
  • Activities - what sort of activities the group offers
  • Organization - how the group is divided, like... the TLL Barracks for example
  • External Links - links to any pages group would like to show (no external links in page content - here is the place)
Additional features may include up to 2 promotional images included as thumbs in between the text.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:48:13 PM by (TLL)Sky_walker »
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline CHHs Cyan

• MechWarrior
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »

• Emblem - minimum 400x400px
  • Name - full name of the clan
  • Tag - tag posted before members nickname
  • Website - Link
  • Forum - Link
  • Hosts - Names of servers hosted by clans
  • Founders - Name of founder/founders
  • Recruitment - Open/Closed/Invitation only, if open than the link to recruitment officer profile on the MWLL forum should be added
  • Members count - <10 / 10-25 / 25-50 / 50+
  • Affiliation- Merchants / Clans / Inner Sphere / Multi-nation
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • dates of creation and important events (dates servers went up and first clan matchs)
  • most prominante time zones
  • list of directorate/leadership, (founder, hr director,lance commanders ect)
  • contact details, steam ,msn , vent/teampeak servers if nessary

Offline Snowball

• Legends Arena Staff
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +87/-4
  • raaarrrrrrrr
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »

Roger that.  I'll give this my full support when I am able.
Played MWLL for Guillermo del Toro.

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:17:21 PM »
dates of creation and important events (dates servers went up and first clan matchs)
Goes for ==Description==

most prominante time zones[/li][/list]
Nah... how could I forget about this?! Very good!
+1

list of directorate/leadership, (founder, hr director,lance commanders ect)
contact details, steam ,msn , vent/teampeak servers if nessary
This could go to ==organization==
As for contact details - these are provided on the clan website or forum. There's also a link for recruitment officer profile (so PM as contact way + other details he gave), perhaps also the leader could be linked to forum profile (as he is the person responsible for arranging matches, or what so ever).

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:18:26 PM »
On the template, they need a place to state what leagues they play in as well. 

Since we're kinda on that subject any how, the leagues will probably need a similar setup.