Author Topic: "Light" meches?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline .:PiE:.

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
"Light" meches?
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
When "light" goes through your mind, what do you imagine? something fast, maneuverable but with poor armor and firepower.
The MWLL light mechs are indeed fast and somewhat poor in armor and firepower (although, LRMs and Gauss guns aren't really 'light').
What I see wrong is the maneuverability. At such high speeds, it's very important. Even for the very slow mechs it's important to dodge that random tree in front of you. Instead of having a tight turning field, you get a heavy mech with speed boost: rock steering!
So, at the end of my thoughts, the classification light/medium/heavy is more about the costs, not the actual pros and cons of having a particular type of mech. Strap in 10 times the weapons on a light tin can and you get a tank.

And the suggestion:
-make the turning field tighter the "lighter" the mech is: tonage and chassis.

*I'll add more things here, at the moment I'm tired and in hope to keep the idea I posted it now. I'll update the thread in the future. Also please ignore any logical error you may find. Post the error and I'll repair it.

Thanks.

Offline Spanish Inquisition

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +13/-0
  • Cross beams, askew, treadle, etc.
Re: "Light" meches?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
Are you comparing maneuverability at top speeds? If that's the case, I'm not too surprised. Can you imagine being able to turn on a dime in a Solitaire?

Code: [Select]
25 tons
162 km/h top speed
4.5 tons FF
10 DHS
1 HLLAS
2 HMLAS
1 HSLAS

Not really. But last I checked, light mechs were pretty manageable at speeds around 60. A Warhammer wasn't that great at 60. Don't quote me on that though; I haven't played in a while.
"Nobody expects the Spa- Oh bugger"
-Last words of the pilot of WHM-6R Waffles

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »
Try pressing X and going for a hard turn then cranking the speed up again, it seems to work well for me.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Monkeybonk

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +21/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
Are you comparing maneuverability at top speeds? If that's the case, I'm not too surprised. Can you imagine being able to turn on a dime in a Solitaire?

Code: [Select]
25 tons
162 km/h top speed
4.5 tons FF
10 DHS
1 HLLAS
2 HMLAS
1 HSLAS

Not really. But last I checked, light mechs were pretty manageable at speeds around 60. A Warhammer wasn't that great at 60. Don't quote me on that though; I haven't played in a while.

Too bad we don't have falldown and standing back up (remind me again why we can't have this? Mechwarrior 3 just had a canned animation, but it worked...)

I'd love to see a movement toggle that bypasses a turn limit inhibitor, allowing mechs to make crazy sharp turns by leaning over and using lateral inertia to stay upright. Obviously this would only affect fast mechs (slower mechs wouldn't have enough inertia to stay upright and take advantage of this). Basically when you enter this mode, you get an indicator on your HUD that represents your lean. Pressing the A and D keys to turn would apply more and more lean into the turn the longer they were held down (so a shorter turn would require tapping them). If you were going too fast, if the angle between your mech's lean and the ground became too sharp (from either leaning too far, or, for example, trying to turn while running down a hill), your feet would slip out and your mech would go into a slide, tumbling along the way until it stopped.

That would make my day :D

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 07:09:36 AM »
Personally, I would like to see special maneuvers activated automatically by the game whenever certain conditions are met.

For instance, whenever a mech is running a certain speed, a little bit less than maximum speed, it can push off on one foot, turning it abruptly in the opposite direction.  Naturally, mechs that don't run, like larger heavies and assault mechs, couldn't pull this off.  You'd activate this by pressing the turn button and holding whenever you are traveling at the proper speed.
Thanks for the view.

Offline TheDrgnRbrn

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-0
  • Glad to have mah pimp-mauler back
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 07:22:50 AM »
Personally, I would like to see special maneuvers activated automatically by the game whenever certain conditions are met.

For instance, whenever a mech is running a certain speed, a little bit less than maximum speed, it can push off on one foot, turning it abruptly in the opposite direction.  Naturally, mechs that don't run, like larger heavies and assault mechs, couldn't pull this off.  You'd activate this by pressing the turn button and holding whenever you are traveling at the proper speed.

You sir, have inspired me to get my thoughts in order about MASC and maneuverability in general together, and to make a thread. Im stuck at a balance between realistic and gimicky though, so don't look for it any time soon.
"In wars, boy, fools kill other fools for foolish causes."
          o Thom Merrilin

Offline Monkeybonk

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »

The only problem I have with 'keyboard gestures' as I call them (ie: the Unreal Tournament double-tap dodging) is that more often than not I accidentally hit these keys and do something I really didn't want to do. Like dodging off a cliff :D A modifier key you have to push and hold or something would be a nice way to avoid accidents.

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »
Too bad we don't have falldown and standing back up (remind me again why we can't have this?

We need someone to animate it and integrate it.  This is no small task.

If you know someone who has knowledge of animating and exporting for CryEngine2 and knows how a 'Mech should move, send them our way.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline Monkeybonk

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
Too bad we don't have falldown and standing back up (remind me again why we can't have this?

If you know someone who has knowledge of animating and exporting for CryEngine2 and knows how a 'Mech should move, send them our way.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for? MW3 had just two animations for every mech - one for if it was lying on its ass, one for if it were on its face. They made absolutely no sense (there's no practical way for something like the Adder to EVER get up on its own), they were just a little leg wiggling magic and they up-righted... that's really all we need, isn't it?

Offline TheDrgnRbrn

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-0
  • Glad to have mah pimp-mauler back
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »

Wish I could help, but alas, there are much more experienced folks out there. I am glad that it is being worked on, because it lets you add a whole heapin' spoonful of dimension to the game.

The only problem I have with 'keyboard gestures' as I call them (ie: the Unreal Tournament double-tap dodging) is that more often than not I accidentally hit these keys and do something I really didn't want to do. Like dodging off a cliff :D A modifier key you have to push and hold or something would be a nice way to avoid accidents.
This was the general idea that I was going to put forward in a nutshell, so guess Ill type that post now.  :P
"In wars, boy, fools kill other fools for foolish causes."
          o Thom Merrilin