Author Topic: Screen Flickering on Clearcut  (Read 1078 times)

Offline (TLL)Ace

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • I drink tea
Screen Flickering on Clearcut
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:20:23 PM »
Okay, so I've been playing MWLL on my laptop fine since launch, however, this week, when I play on clearcut my screen keeps flickering with yellow horizontal stripes across the screen. The only way I can get rid of it is to either minimize then maximize, or wait about 10 seconds and it goes away, only to come back about 20 seconds later.

At first I thought it was my Laptop overheating, but I can run any other game fine and the flicker only happens on clearcut.

Has anyone else had this issue?

My Specs:

Dell Precision M6300
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300
4GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX1600m

Windows XP Professional
Quote from: Ravir
In a groundbreaking new feature, MWLL will include a new gametype: MechRockerBandHeroKersplosion.  Pilots will smash the throttle to classic 80's speed metal using custom ethernet plugin to real guitars.  PPC's will be triggered by power chords, and LRM ammo is selected by playing one of 17 distinctive hammer-on rifts.  Get a teammate elemental to hop up on your mech's shoulder and throw up the horns, and with a hot duel you can deflect enemy fire BY THE POWER OF YOUR ROCK!

Offline (TLL)Ace

• Recruit
  • I drink tea
Re: Screen Flickering on Clearcut
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 01:34:18 PM »
Scratch that, it just started doing it on marshes, but it took a lot longer.
In a groundbreaking new feature, MWLL will include a new gametype: MechRockerBandHeroKersplosion.  Pilots will smash the throttle to classic 80's speed metal using custom ethernet plugin to real guitars.  PPC's will be triggered by power chords, and LRM ammo is selected by playing one of 17 distinctive hammer-on rifts.  Get a teammate elemental to hop up on your mech's shoulder and throw up the horns, and with a hot duel you can deflect enemy fire BY THE POWER OF YOUR ROCK!

Offline (TLL)Sky_walker

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +66/-1
  • Close Range Attack Forces
    • MWLL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »
Usually screen flickering is an overheating problem, and MWLL is exceptionally GPU intensive, so hardly any game compares.
Perhaps try to install some temperature monitor? and see if there's any relation?
MWLL Wiki Newsletter: Wiki suffers from spammers and lack of activity - change it now, jump in and contribute with something useful! :D

Proud to be C.R.A.P. inspiration # MWLL Wiki Admin # MWLL Alpha Tester # Dev Team # MWLL Defense Force Mercenary - Battlemech Barracks

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Also, Crysis may use other GPU paths than other games. It really doesn't compare.
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline (TLL)Ace

• Recruit
  • I drink tea
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:28:29 PM »
It's definitely my Laptop; just tried running arma 2 and the screen was flickering then too, I think it happens on clearcut early because it's the most demanding map.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:48:20 PM »
Your GPU may have seen its last day.  That flickering is probably artifacting caused by overheating.  Maybe your heatsink isn't working well anymore or your fan is going out.  If you're really tech savvy you can do what I did which is remove all the paneling on my laptop and build a custom laptop cooler.  I took an old PSU, soldered like 6 fans to it and build a laptop chassis out of stuff from Lowes.  With the backpanels off the laptop my GPU performs a lot better than it used to. It's not as mobile anymore but I don't take that one anywhere anyway.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline sleepysheep

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +35/-0
  • I'm me deal with it
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
It's definitely my Laptop; just tried running arma 2 and the screen was flickering then too, I think it happens on clearcut early because it's the most demanding map.

Make sure the airvents on the laptop are completly clear, and you aren't using it on a soft surface like a bed. Otherwise your going to have to buy a new GC for it, or a new laptop, unless you handy enough to be able to change the heatsink/fans to something better.
Sandy 2500k @ 4.6ghz
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 V1.0 - Worst Motherboard ever.
2x GTX 580 3gb
8gb DDR3 dual channl 1600mhz
HX 1000W Corsair
Win 7 x64 Home Edition
5970x1200 Or 1920x1200 Triple Screen 26" Monitors
Dx10 Max settings 16xAF 8xAA

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »
I bet is that it is your Quadro.

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.