Author Topic: AC versus Gauss art  (Read 2382 times)

Offline The Saint

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +2/-0
AC versus Gauss art
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
Ever since I first saw the art depicting the Autocannon and the Gauss Rifle in the MW4 manual, I've been confused. They seem like they should be swapped, or 'were' swapped.

The Gauss art features a snub nose design that doesn't seem to reflect their portrayal when featured on vehicles, and the ammo feed and storage is distinctively based on 20th autocannons (indicating a ROF and ammo storage capacity disproportionate to the needs of the semi-automatic Gauss Rifles).

In contrast, all AC art features no clear rapid feed or large capacity ammo storage you'd expect with an automatic weapon, and the round illustrate is always sabot'd for some reason (while some ACs are said to be smooth bore, all Gauss are by nature *always* smooth bore). The length of the illustration also lends it self much better to matching Gauss cannons in artwork, as very long weapons.

Am I reading too much into this, or this is an actual gaff owing to mislabeling that just stuck around?
Honk if you like cookies (and think Oro should have a greater turret elevation)!

Offline Taemien

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-1
  • Less pew pew, More Dakka!
Re: AC versus Gauss art
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:34:27 PM »
I think the two were accidentally swapped in the MW4 manual if I remember correctly.

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:11:27 AM »
No the Art for the Gauss Rifle has always been of this tubby weapon with a ammo drum next to it, where as the Autocannons have been of this long barreled weapon.

Though the art has never been very high on the canonical lists.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:38:14 AM »
I think that isn't an ammo drum but a huge Capacitor... :D

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Maschinengeist

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »

Feed belt on the bottom, cap on the back.

Same here:

Offline c0smec6e

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:16 AM »
Same here! I had been wondering as to why that is the case. I really had no clue till now why the auto cannon and the gauss rifle were placed in places completely different from the places that they were supposed to be. Both of them seems to have been swapped and when asked they are saying that now it looks more practical and before, the theme was not that much realistic and all. Nothing could be further from the truth as the opposite is actually true!

Offline Nebfer

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:00:45 AM »
Well I can point out that a few units that have the same weapons but have totally different looks for them, be it Gauss Rifle, Autocannon or even laser.

So the art dose not mean much.

Offline ~SJ~ Atlessa

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +80/-1
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »

[img]

Feed belt on the bottom, cap on the back.

Same here:
[img]

Yeah well... I didn't remember them having "another" drum on the bottom, I only remembered the one in the back, which IS the capacitor... or else there wouldn't be "shock hazard" written on it :D

In soviet clanspace, trinary bids you.

Offline Az

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Spam bots keep getting smarter and smarter... First a few nonsensical posts, then an avatar picture, and now the link in the sig appeared. The day they'll stop necroing a bunch of threads all at once, they'll pass the Turing test.

This one is actually disturbingly close to making sense, you have to put all its posts side by side to realise there's a template.

Edit: Nobody saw that extraneous apostrophe. And please don't pay attention to the quote in the next post.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:37:18 PM by Az »

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
Spam bots keep getting smarter and smarter... First a few nonsensical posts, then an avatar picture, and now the link in the sig appeared. The day they'll stop necroing a bunch of threads all at once, they'll pass the Turing test.

This one is actually disturbingly close to making sense, you have to put all it's posts side by side to realise there's a template.

http://xkcd.com/810/

Love hidden text there.  ;)

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815