Author Topic: "Running" Mechs (Animation Upgrade)  (Read 1304 times)

Offline DragonFire1170

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
"Running" Mechs (Animation Upgrade)
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:03:38 PM »
I noticed this quite a while ago (several months ago) before I took an impromtu break from MWLL, but the mechs don't seem to do much more than walk even at high speeds, I don't know if it's possible in Crysis, but maybe it's possible to make the mech look like it's actually running at higher speeds, much like the older games, although, I do understand when the huge 100-tonners "jog" due to how heavy they are, but it is a little strange to see something as fast as an Owens jogging instead of running at such a high speed.  This was brought back to light to me earlier today when I saw a few comments on a MWLL vid on YouTube, but I don't know if this was addressed due to my absence.  Take a look at Mechwarrior 3 and 4, in MW3, even the huge Annihilator and Daishi looked like they were running (the Daishi not so much though, it just had larger strides).  MW4's Mektek mod adds a few more mechs, one or two mechs in particular jog at high speeds, the Behemoth (Stone Rhino) and Marauder IIC Railgun.  Their animations were large strides.  Maybe just adding a little more wobble to the torso at high speeds would be more simple.  This is not really a major issue, just a thing for more "Mechwarrior" realism.

Apologies if this was already suggested.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: "Running" Mechs (Animation Upgrade)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure the animations "look" pretty fast when mechs are running, they have longer strides.

Unlike the other MW series though the amount of "bob" created by running animation does have a direct impact on how much your hud moves around in MWLL.

Perfect example is the new Uziel, at full speed it's bouncing around quite a bit since it doesn't have a "full stride" animation yet.

Offline HAARP

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +212/-1
  • I regret nothing
    • Clan Jade Wolf
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:27 PM »
My only problem is with Kitfoxes running at full speed. They feel like rubber bands. slow-fast-slow-fast :o
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:40:11 PM by HAARP »
don't bother sending me PMs, I probably won't be reading them in time.

Offline DragonFire1170

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
I'm pretty sure the animations "look" pretty fast when mechs are running, they have longer strides.

Unlike the other MW series though the amount of "bob" created by running animation does have a direct impact on how much your hud moves around in MWLL.

Perfect example is the new Uziel, at full speed it's bouncing around quite a bit since it doesn't have a "full stride" animation yet.

I'll have to give it a test drive once I get everything installed again, I lost my MWLL installer when I upgraded from XP to Win 7.

Offline thedrunkennoob

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 04:40:59 AM »
Well the Owens definitely got its run animation upgraded. IIRC the Owens is the test platform when it comes to new features so the other mechs should be getting their animations refined in the future.

sgnl05

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:10:38 AM »
Well the Owens definitely got its run animation upgraded. IIRC the Owens is the test platform when it comes to new features so the other mechs should be getting their animations refined in the future.

Pretty much this. I take it you haven't played 0.3.0 yet Dragonfire? Some mechs did have new running animations added, and the Owens is a good example. It has a nice long stride at high speeds and when you turn it it leans into the turn which is fun.

Not all mechs are up to the owens' standard of quality (I could say the same about models actually *coughosirisandlokicough*) but no doubt it'll come in the future.

Offline cocoajin

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
I love sprinting in the Owens...it literally "feels" fast.  It makes me lean in my seat when I play.

Offline DragonFire1170

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
I haven't played it yet, going to get everything up and running later tonight and take it for a spin.

Offline Cujo

• Evil Polygon Wizard
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-0
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 07:13:55 AM »
I haven't played it yet...
play it first, make suggestions after.  but please feel free to leave some feedback after you've gone and blown some stuff up  ;D

Offline DragonFire1170

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 07:21:54 AM »
I wasn't aware of an update when I downloaded everything again, I forgot what version it was when I lost the installer, I'm installing as we speak.

Offline DragonFire1170

• Recruit
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:21:42 AM »
Feedback: Well, got to see the Owens in action (from the Cockpit, not the outside).  It has just the running animation I was thinking of, reminds me of the Owens from MW3.  I also noticed the Computer speaking during startup and shutdown, I was actually going to suggest me doing some voice acting (although I'm a male), but you guys have that all set.  Well done.

Offline Cujo

• Evil Polygon Wizard
  • MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +55/-0
    • Deviant Art Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:27:23 AM »
.3.1 is almost a different game from .2 because there were so many changes made
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline NSallaNuto

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-1
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »
One problem with the Owens animation is that the mech leans to the side only with MASC engaged and only at top speed, it is an all or nothing thing. The effect should be present at all "running" speeds and be proportional to the speed.

Another (lesser) problem is that leaning and returning up happen with a significant delay so it does not feel exactly "right".

Anyway, the animation is really cool.