Author Topic: APC Exploit?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline (TLL) Heretic

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
APC Exploit?
« on: July 16, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
Yesterday I joined a game on Mirage on the Russian server.

An APC was parked in Hanger Bay 2, therefore anyone joining the match had no choice but to spawn at that APC, no doubt earning that APC owner lots of C-bills from folks just joining the team, on the Join screen you could not tell that it was an APC and not the hanger you were spawning at, and the APC seems to be picked by default in situations where the icons of it and the hanger overlap..

Is it possible to disable spawning from the APC within 100m of a friendly hanger?  Thereby closing what is clearly an exploit?

Pecuniam non olet
Quid enim saluis infamia nummis

"Make this game my way, because I HAVE A DISORDER!" - VictorMorson
".....show us on the doll where MWLL touched you bad." - KingLeer

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
Re: APC Exploit?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
If the owner of the APC buys another asset, you might get lucky and the server will remove his 'ownership' tag on the APC, allowing you to get in it and sell it.. Brilliant way to earn 25k or so cbills for pressing 2 buttons.

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Rampage

• Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-0
    • Rampage Computers
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
The APC owner should not be getting any benefit from the spawning if the APC is not outside a certain range of the hangar. This was discussed due to the exploit possibility. I have not tested to see if it was implemented but I would be surprised if it had not.

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 07:12:20 PM »
The APC owner should not be getting any benefit from the spawning if the APC is not outside a certain range of the hangar. This was discussed due to the exploit possibility. I have not tested to see if it was implemented but I would be surprised if it had not.

We have not implemented this yet, but it is on the list of items to address.  In the grand scheme of things it is a relatively minor exploit.  At initial game start, the C-Bill transfers are disabled for the first 120 seconds after join, so any player that bought an APC and used it to "farm" C-Bills would only be recouping their initial cost for the APC, plus they must be "driving" it to have the C-Bill award granted.

The fix will be to implement a minimum radius from Mech Hangar at which the spawn award is allowed.  The benefit from ammo purchases is so small we will probably allow that at any location on the map.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".