BA are more complicated than any sentence or paragraph - i see we can agree on that one.
Let's lave the history aside - for now.
Yes currently the BA's tool chest is packed with weapons of too much power - for the situational constrains the BA has or does not have compared to any other asset in game.
1. access to unlimited energy
2. unlimited regeneration by it self (its a self contained mobile filed base and APC combined)
3. unlimited weapon swap on filed (i once picked up an stray BA PPC after i ejected...) and up to 4 weapons at once (not a bug deal but still...)
4. access to unlimited heat sink capacity (unless you account the reload and weapon overheat - I don't buy into it on Inferno and Phledgeton for instance)
5. access to unlimited angle of firing
6. access to move beyond what the server/client model can reliably track (lag shield, or "ADAD skill" how Saber15 calls it)
7. access to spawning and full equipment on places other assets are off limits.
breaking this or that, this is quite a point of leverage for both the aces and the average Joe in game...
Then the size - the BA has been sold to us as a 5 man unit for one player - yet the unit is occupying only 1/5 of the silhoutette you could shoot at where there a BA squad.
The particular in game problem:
Single BA on the building on Zoetermeer (quite JJ friendly map) can have like upper hand against pretty much every single mech all the time - if you run - he cores your back, if you try attack - he just stays outside of the firing cone of practically any mech that could even remotely treathen him in mobility - only way to counter it is either get a dedicated BA from far away (long walk yada yada) or gang up like 2 -3 players and equip with dedicated anti BA assets - just plain any asset won't do.
As pointed out earlier (years earlier) - players should fight players, and each and every abuse should have a straight and simple counter.
The current BA state breaks this rule - to counter an medium tier BA - one has either to be top tier BA player, or to go for lengths that break the fun and immersion.
Since some time now, people realize it's easier to just quit the game and go play something else.
I'm not one of them, but if that was the goal of this much development...
Maybe it is time to consider if we want larger player base, or will persist on having combined arms game in which each and every class has to be capable to 1v1 an atlas?
Maybe we could, at least, reconsider what the broader player base wants (a leaner game)? This was clearly indicated by ever more players hanging on the free testing rather than going in the TC ones and partake in the grinding...