Author Topic: Obtrusive Mech Cockpits  (Read 11846 times)

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
Re: Obtrusive Mech Cockpits
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 02:49:15 AM »
The mk2 is fine. Seriously, that thing has some good firepower, and decent speed and maneuverability for an assault. Its only squishy because it usually draws all the fire once it hits the field, similar to the atlas.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +148/-2
  • The HNIC of Toast is too baller for avatars.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 04:38:13 AM »
The mk2 is fine. Seriously, that thing has some good firepower, and decent speed and maneuverability for an assault. Its only squishy because it usually draws all the fire once it hits the field, similar to the atlas.

Kill the biggest threat first? Amidoinitrite?

Offline [CW]Aresye

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +156/-1
  • Clan Wolf
    • Clan Wolf
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:58 AM »
Actually, it would be more realistic if they leaned back when moving the crosshair down, and forward when moving the crosshair up.  Think of the weight in each arm of a mech.  Think of holding some heavy dumbbells in front of you in a curl position.  If you lowered your arms down and lean forward at the same time, you'll likely fall over, and vice-versa.

Offline Deathbane

• MWLL Contributor
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +165/-14
  • Fun now allowed
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »

Kill the biggest threat first? Amidoinitrite?

udoinitrite.
"Arguing about battlemechs off the field of battle is like arguing as a spheroid, even if you win, you're still a freebirth!"

'It's too bad they don't have a "Report to Mother button", I bet you'd be slapping that one twenty-four-seven so she'd come dry your tears when your own idiocy leads you to failure in a game on the internet.' - dimachaerus

New idea- would I be able to use an external hard drive to add RAM and/or improve gigahertz?

Offline ~SJ~{CDT} Ro0t

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
To comment on the original post, I find that the issue is not so much with the mech design, or the cockpit itself, but with the way the pilot's eyes (the camera's viewpoint) don't always stay parallel with it when it moves. It doesn't always follow a logical path when the cockpit twists or tilts to extreme angles, or for example, when you stop and do a full 180 with your legs while keeping your torso pointing at the same spot... I often see the lower hud of my own cockpit when I do this...

Now I know those manuvers may shake the pilot a bit more than others, but I'm sure the pilot would be able to keep his eyes looking forward... so this should be adjusted!
~SJ~{CDT} Root
(Formerly known as Dazzlenut)

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
It doesn't always follow a logical path when the cockpit twists or tilts to extreme angles, or for example, when you stop and do a full 180 with your legs while keeping your torso pointing at the same spot... I often see the lower hud of my own cockpit when I do this...

I can't understand what you mean by that? Looking backwards? But that wouldn't cause any problems with viewpoint. Could you explain that a bit?

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline ~SJ~{CDT} Ro0t

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 05:24:09 PM »
Ok, for example... I'm stopped in a mech, in a slope, and I'm looking forward. My torso is turned 180 degrees and I turn my legs to match it, leaving my torso pointing in the same direction (I actually move my mouse in the opposite direction my legs are turning).

At some point in the turn, the "eyes" (or camera, call it what you want) of my pilot look at the floor of the cockpit for a second or two... I would expect them to keep looking through the glass of the cockpit...

Basically, my mouse was pointing one way (thus controlling where I look) and the cockpit got tilted upward to a point where the point I was looking at before becomes the floor of the cockpit... (is it clearer?).

Think if you are in a mech yourself (virtually speaking) and your eyes are looking forward through the glass. If your cockpit suddenly tilts upward by a lot, are you going to look at the floor as if your eyes were fixed to a specific spot in space or will they follow your body's movement? The answer is they will follow your body's movement at least a little and then adjust to follow whatever object you were looking at before... I think it should do the same in the game...

Basically, have a certain deadzone where your eyes can track an object (by keeping your mouse aligned on it) despite the smooth "bobbing"effect, but that if the cockpit moves too much outside of that deadzone or moves too suddenly (i.e. after getting hit by a projectile) that your eyes follow that movement instead of staying fixed at the object you were pointing at before... The eyes of the pilot should always move relatively to the cockpit the pilot is sitting in in proportion to the movement angle and speed (i.e. small and slow = don't move, small and fast = move a little, large and slow = move a little, large and fast = move a lot...).

It's hard to explain what I mean... but I hope you get it...

If someone else understands what I mean and can explain it better, feel free to jump in!
~SJ~{CDT} Root
(Formerly known as Dazzlenut)

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 07:36:34 PM »
At some point in the turn, the "eyes" (or camera, call it what you want) of my pilot look at the floor of the cockpit for a second or two... I would expect them to keep looking through the glass of the cockpit...

I think I understand what you mean, as far as I know it's a known camera bug. You can try to search for it in a bug reporting section of the forum to check if it's so.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline ~SJ~Osiris

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 04:12:10 AM »
I was reading through here and all I wanted to know was whether or not the bar in the mauler was to be removed. From personal experience I can say that the bar seems uneeded and undeservedly detrimental to a very large, slow weapon absorption wall. I do not see how the removal of said bar would negatively impact the gaming community or provide an advantage to such a very specialized asset.

Furthermore, I am a bit baffled as to what is wrong in regards to the beatstick. I use it sparingly, because it seems to be unfair in that it generally gives my ba an abnormally long lifetime and great influx of cbills.