Author Topic: Lookit what I found!  (Read 8483 times)

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
Lookit what I found!
« on: October 17, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
It's my old MW2: Mercs manual! ;D Pictured next to my MW2 poster which is currently on my floor since the foamboard I glued it to when I was little fell off my wall and I'm too lazy to put it back up. Why the hell did they stop making game manuals this cool? It's over a decade old, and we've taken many many steps backward in video game boxes and their contents.
[spoiler=HUGE IMAGE]
[/spoiler]
Quote from: First Page
Dear Prospective Cadet:

As President and Founder of the Tri-MTM Mercenary Academy, people often ask me just what Tri-MTM stands for. I tell them money, money, money. Becoming a Mercenary was the best business decision I ever made. And it will be for you, too.

Twenty years ago, I was just like you -- sitting on some backwater low-tech rock where I could only read about the big 'Mechs and the big money. What could I do? Join the military? Sure, and risk my life to line some general's pockets? I don't think so. Hey, they wouldn't have taken me anyway.

I had to smuggle my way onto a freighter on its way here to Outreach and cheat and steal my way into the Wolf's Dragoons. Two decades later, I'm a millionaire 30 times over, and you can be too -- but while I had to kill and scrape to get where I am, you don't have to! For a reasonable fee (or a percentage of your lifetime earnings -- see p. 317 of tuition agreement), the Tri-MTMMercenary Academy will teach you the skills you'll need to pilot a 'Mech and plan a successful mercenary career. Worried about getting in? Don't be -- your acceptance is guaranteed on receipt of tuition payment!

Last year, we placed 100% of the class of 3043 with mercenary groups. That's right, 100%! And what do they have to say about good old Tri-MTM? Throughout this brochure we have shown what students and alumni have to say about their alma mater.

In the following pages, you will be introduced to Tri-MTM's instructors, the "best" MechWarriors the universe has to offer, who will walk you through the Academy's program. After this taste of mercenary life, you'll never want to give it up.

Howard Hughes O'Grady
President, CEO, and Founder
Tri-MTM Mercenary Academy

Next to the bottom, there's a real signature and a picture of a guy who looks kind of like Mel Gibson.
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
Re: Lookit what I found!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:33:14 AM »
haha awesome Leeko :)

I never saw the manual for MW2 in paper form. I was working as a pc tech at the time mw2 was around, and my copy was a cheapo oem with electronic manual on disc, it was one of the few games I "strongly recommeded" to have as a bonus on new pc's we built... of course, I had to test it once installed on each pc.. had to make sure it worked properly didnt I ;) .. lol

I used to love devouring a new pc game's manual and reading all the fluff they had in em and whatnot.. I actually think its a real shame that we dont get proper game manuals and boxes anymore, or very rarely anyway, dang penny pinching game publishers lol
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +148/-2
  • The HNIC of Toast is too baller for avatars.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:02:16 AM »
haha awesome Leeko :)

I never saw the manual for MW2 in paper form. I was working as a pc tech at the time mw2 was around, and my copy was a cheapo oem with electronic manual on disc, it was one of the few games I "strongly recommeded" to have as a bonus on new pc's we built... of course, I had to test it once installed on each pc.. had to make sure it worked properly didnt I ;) .. lol

I used to love devouring a new pc game's manual and reading all the fluff they had in em and whatnot.. I actually think its a real shame that we dont get proper game manuals and boxes anymore, or very rarely anyway, dang penny pinching game publishers lol

The manuals for the Myth games were the best I had ever read.

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:28 AM »
Oooh another Myth fan?  Those were amazing games.  I played them over and over and it was the first platform I played online.  Bungie had the golden touch and an incredible knack for drawing you into a story.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:55:18 AM by ~SJ~ Blhurr »
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »
I remember playing MW2 and MW2 Merc until my parents threatened me with bodily harm 8) I loved me some mechwarrior...and I always blamed my Dad as he is the one that bought MW2 originally :P

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:36 PM »
Mechwarrior 2 was my very first video game. I have such fond memories of it... so many hours spent on it...

(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
it's a classic,  remember putting 10 JJ on a mech so it could "fly".

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:26 PM »
Yeah, that was so much fun... XD

Weren't there low-G maps? I seem to remember one that was kind of like a moonscape in Ghost Bear's Legacy, and getting stuck inside a crater in a Raven due to my not having any JJs...

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:40:13 PM »
oh yeah there was a mission where you had to battle it out on the surface of the drop ship... I tried my jj config on that one and flew off the ship >_<

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
I remember that one! That was the last mission, wasn't it? I remember trying for ages to jump to the other dropship... I just didn't have the finesse when I was that young.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
I don't even remember, only that enhanced imagine really sucked on that level cause everything was black.

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »
Man, I wish something other than MW2 Titanium Edition (not even expansions) would work on my machine. :'(

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
i heard you just run the old stuff in a dos box and you're fine.

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Nope, DosBox didn't work.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »