Author Topic: Sometimes Mechs get stuck with super high heat.  (Read 2143 times)

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-1
Sometimes Mechs get stuck with super high heat.
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »
This has happened to me twice now. The first time it happened I thought it might be some kind of game play mechanic. The second time I wasn't in a Mech with MASC or JJ and I was fresh out of the hangar.

The first time it happened, I was in an Owens B on Clearcut and I took some laser hits to my arm armor. I turned to head for cover and the Mech over heated and shut down. I wasn't holding the MASC as I was fairly close to cover. My back armor took a laser hit and I burned coolant to get behind cover where the Mech shut down again. After that, the thing would get super hot after about 25m of moderate walking and shut down. I managed to limp it back to base and got it fully repaired. I still could not move very far without going into over heat shutdown.

The second time it happened I was playing on Thunder Rift and I had just exited the hanger with a brand new Vulture A. After getting a few steps form the door I got the overheat shutdown warning and I hit the brakes. Every time I took a step, the meter filled about 1/4 of the way. I had to get it back into the bay and sell it for another one.

This has only happened to me twice out of how ever many thousands of assets I have bought but it is pretty annoying. Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline Ingrater

• MWLL Lead Coder
  • Project Director
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +136/-0
Re: Sometimes Mechs get stuck with super high heat.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
I don't know of any issue that is similar to this one and unfortunately without repro steps there is not much we can do about this.
There comes a point where the talking must stop, and people have to do actual work.

Offline Perk

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
I've had this happen on Inferno after walking into and out of lava.  The mech got stuck with max heat and wouldn't cool off, despite dumping the whole load of coolant.  It wasn't actually taking damage, but it had the full on high heat graphics effects going on.  The fix was to walk BACK into the lava to re-spike the heat at which point it would start to cool again once you get back out of the lava.

I've also had the PPC emp effect get stuck on a few times too until I get hit with ANOTHER PPC at which point it clears normally.  I suspect this is a bug with the conditional graphics effects not reverting to normal, and not a problem with the heat system per say.

It *is* extremely rare...

Offline Bobby

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
I just had this same issue today. I was in a Scat A and right as I was about to return to base with masc running, on the account I was damaged, I got partially F-bombed (heat more than damaged) and it made me shutdown. When I powered back up my heat gauge kept climbing. I ended up ejecting while powered on, and watched my mech create vapor as it was still hot for a good 10 seconds. When the vapors disappeared I jumped back in, and I didn't have the issue any more.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with another source giving you heat as you're heating up quickly and the increasing value from your self-inflicted heat getting stuck in that process (if that makes sense ;D). Because as I think about it, in the times my heat gauge would continuously rise, it would be shortly after raising my heat up with masc and then having another source of heat ( e.g. Inferno's lava) expedite that build up, shut me down, and then power back up with infinite heat.

Offline ~SJ~NotSoCoolJ

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
Nah, I know when that happens. This happens when your not even in combat sometimes. It's weird and so far the only thing I have found that works is to sell it. I have tried getting in and out and even repairing.

Offline Jayssoneer

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:17:33 PM »
I have noticed that using coolant beyond a certain point in lava will just make the situation worse. Also, powering down while holding the MASC key can make the MASC stick, until you press that key again.