Author Topic: Track based vehicles: A nightmare to drive!  (Read 1391 times)

Offline ~SJ~{CDT} Ro0t

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Smoke Jaguar
Track based vehicles: A nightmare to drive!
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
I don't know if this is a bug, plain bad programing, or a limitation of the Crytek engine, but track based vehicles (tanks) are extremely hard to drive in rough terrain.

Here are some of the problems I've encountered so far:

1. While in "sticky" throttle mode (K key), and going max throttle, I suddenly can't turn anymore until I slow down and stop, and this happens mostly when I'm going downhill.

2. Holding the break (X key) does NOT stop the vehicle all the time, and sometimes it barely slows down. Are the breaks worn off or something!? Sometimes I'm barely speeding at all and I can't break on time.

3. Releasing the throttle key (or setting it to 0%) puts the tank in "neutral" gear. Since the transmission obviously seems to be automatic, there should be at least a resistance when the gas pedal is released. If gravity is too strong for the transmission to resist, then it should roll away on its own unless the break is held down. Ideally, releasing the throttle should automatically BREAK and keep the tank/vehicle in place. Having to hold down the break while pressing other keys to fire is a bit ridiculous (not to say hard on the wrists and finger joints!)

4. Sometimes, hitting an obstacle resets the throttle to 0 while it's in Sticky mode, and you have to tap and hold the key again to get it to 100% again. This is annoying!
~SJ~{CDT} Root
(Formerly known as Dazzlenut)

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
Re: Track based vehicles: A nightmare to drive!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:04:49 PM »
http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,6114.0.html

I don't know if this is a bug, plain bad programing, or a limitation of the Crytek engine, but track based vehicles (tanks) are extremely hard to drive in rough terrain.

Here are some of the problems I've encountered so far:

1. While in "sticky" throttle mode (K key), and going max throttle, I suddenly can't turn anymore until I slow down and stop, and this happens mostly when I'm going downhill.

Its called Ramping Throttle and Instant Throttle mode. What you are experiencing may be your key-commands becoming invalid if either is pressed simultaniously or to fast. The issue with turning while driving downhill is known.

2. Holding the break (X key) does NOT stop the vehicle all the time, and sometimes it barely slows down. Are the breaks worn off or something!? Sometimes I'm barely speeding at all and I can't break on time.

Known

- Tanks suffer from Instant Brake ability. The function does not work as intended instead the Tank will only loose momentum slowly.

4. Sometimes, hitting an obstacle resets the throttle to 0 while it's in Sticky mode, and you have to tap and hold the key again to get it to 100% again. This is annoying!

More than known, this is enherited from the Crysis code since the Tracked assets sadly are the ones that have been given the least love.

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline ~SJ~{CDT} Ro0t

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 01:03:20 AM »
* The_Yanster hides under a rock because he should have done more searching before posting...

Don't hit me!
~SJ~{CDT} Root
(Formerly known as Dazzlenut)

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »
* The_Yanster hides under a rock because he should have done more searching before posting...

Don't hit me!

NP! And I understand your frustration on the issues!

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush