Author Topic: Coffee House Chat with MWLL Devs.  (Read 29479 times)

Offline CHHš Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
Re: So Devs.....
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 03:04:53 PM »
How you got into BT
I purchased the BT game in the late eighties at the local hobby shop and played few battles. (Mechwarrior RPG and BattleForce that I can recall) I did get into creating the mech configs and laying out battles to test on their cool hex maps. The mech sheets with the internals was pretty awesome. Some of the maps were nice and I used counters for mechs. Never got far in BattleForce but the reading was good. These manuals were pretty intense for the time frame that was around. Very good work. I didn't really turn into a mech head til MW1 came out for my first IBM computer 486sx. Played the hell of it offline along with MW2, MW3, MW4 and expansions. Didn't get into online play til MW4 Mercs and the Zone was around. Most players were dial-up them days. gawd I am old  :o

What drew you to this mod
The crysis engine was probably the biggest draw to the mod. The effects in the engine were mind-blowing when they first came out and were raved about before and after release.  To think that a mech could exist in such a world was probably my biggest draw.

What aspects of the mod you work on
Flash HUD stuff and some C code when i can wrap my head around it

What mechs you personally prefer (I understand this is a loaded question)
My favorite mech was the highlander in mercs due to the fact that it could easily dfa mechs. DFA was my favorite back in the old BT tactical battles with dice and VERY rare. Thats kind of why I wanted the name Death when I started on the zone. So any mech that can maneuver quickly and jump is probably my preference.

Which aspect of the mod do you find most entertaining
Close, intense battles is probably my biggest high in the game. Team battles especially and why I work on the league stuff

A little general information about yourselves
41 and from southern Arkansas close to my tribes reservations. I am an old school geek that started off dabbling in Gates and Jobs first attempts at computers in the early 80's. Did you know that MS had a Basic programming cartridge they offered for TI's home computers long before DOS? My first taste of basic  . . .
I am currently working for a small city government managing all of their Computers and Network. I am a programmer but have fun with technology and doing IT.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 03:17:31 PM by CHHš Deathshade »

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
How you got into BT
Battletech for Sega Genesis was the first BT game I played.

Shiiiiiiit son, i thought i was the only person who had played that!

Inferno missles  that beheved like a hose, single fire lrms, splash damage arcing gauss rifles, pew pew slow lasers, and arrow 4s that kind of looped out of launchers like bees, and a madcat that was bigger than every other goddamn mech in the game. haha good times.

yup I've played that one too, it was really freaking difficult too!

Hell, yeah! And don't forget heat that was used as Timby's health(yep, Timby was only mech available). In retrospective, it was the most bizarre BT adaptation I've ever seen but it was very fun to play nevertheless.

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline CHHš Deathshade

• Senior Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +57/-0
  • "Helpful Atlas"
    • MW:LL
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 04:18:24 PM »
There is an emulator out there for the Sega Genesis that works with usb game-pads. It was nice to reminisce on those old games :D I couldn't help trying to locate ever single rom made. lol Did you ever play Herzog Zwee (bad spelling)?

Offline (TLL)Siilk

• Techpriest software engineer
  • Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +140/-7
  • A single trueborn is an army by himself
    • My facebook profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 04:58:23 PM »
There is an emulator out there for the Sega Genesis that works with usb game-pads. It was nice to reminisce on those old games :D I couldn't help trying to locate ever single rom made. lol Did you ever play Herzog Zwee (bad spelling)?

Herzog Zwei? Heh, tried it once. It was a little... strange. :)

"This Clan posses intelligence, the burning passion of true hunters, and a spirit that serves as a beacon to the rest. I mingle my blood with the Wolves."
- ilKhan Nicholas Kerensky, Strana Mechty, 2815

Offline ShdNx

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +27/-0
  • 0x2B || !0x2B
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
How you got into BT

My cousin was playing MechWarrior 4, and he often came to visit. One day he brought that game with himself, and we started playing.
Basically that was the game that turned me partially away from strategy games; before that, I was ONLY playing strategy games, like Age of Empires and Cossacks.
I never really became a fan of the BattleTech Universe, and though I find it interesting, I haven't yet had the time (and urge) to dig into it.

I often read gaming portals like Rock, Paper, Shotgun, and one day I saw an article about MWLL. I read it, and since I already knew a little bit of BTU, I became interested, and began tracking the mod. I registered first as a player, and then joined TLL. I made an application when Seraph began looking for a .NET developer, and got admitted.

I'm working on the external tools (as of 0.3.2), like the Launcher and the Auto Updater. I also built some other tools used internally.

What mechs you personally prefer

Vulture. I just love that mech!
I prefer bigger, long-range mechs, so I tend to be playing support.

As a programmer I love working on the Auto Updater, because it's something I haven't done before, and also because it's becoming so much better than the similar tools found in other games.
As a player, I love the diversity: I can play as a BA, use a mech or a tank, fly an aerospace - all require different skills and tactics.

I'm 19 years old, living in Hungary (a tiny little country in Central-Eastern Europe). I'm starting university next year, where I'll be learning IT (programming, mainly).
I primarily work with PHP (building websites) and .NET (desktop applications), but I'm interested in all languages and platforms, and hoping to extend my knowledge to C++ and LUA and get involved in MWLL game development. :)
External tools lead developer

Klingon Programmer:
What is this talk of release? Klingons do not release software. Our software escapes leaving a bloody trail of designers and quality assurance people in its wake.
(Stackoverflow.com)

Offline KingLeerUK

• Hawkmoth D arise!
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +534/-19
  • Hawmoth "D" Ascendant
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 05:53:35 PM »
How you got into BT.
MechAssault.  No really.
Before MA I only had a cursory knowledge of BT/MW.  Around 2001 I bought an XBox to be ready for Steel Battalions release and one of the games I got to tide me over was the original MechAssault.  I played the single player campaign and shelved it as a reasonable 3rd person action shooter that just happened to have 'Mechs.  Then Steel Battalion came out and I completely forgot about MA, haven't touched it since and never got MA2.  After SB started winding down I began looking for another 'Mech title and considered jumping into MW4, I read up on it but at that point in my life I was on a self-imposed hiatus from video games.  I do find the BT/MW universe and lore to be an amazing body of work and it's quite something to be making a game that pays homage to those roots.

What drew you to this mod?
Ravir (one of our original Flash HUD developers) kept bugging me to check out MWLL because he knew I was such a hardcore Steel Battalion fan (he was too) and he thought that MWLL embodied enough sim aspects to be a reasonable replacement.  I agree.  After my initial experience as an alpha tester pre-0.1.0 (damn that was an amazing day) I was totally hooked and could see the massive potential that this project has.  I don't think many people consciously realise what an amazing alignment of circumstances have happened to make MWLL what it is; Microsoft giving a thumbs up to use their IP, an immensely talented group of developers that have actual game industry experience and a distinct vision to bind it all together and keep the machine rolling.  Rare is the TC mod team that has the strength to get to an actual release state, much less continue to march on a year hence.

What aspects of the mod you work on?
After being an alpha tester for a few months I somehow let it drop that I knew how to do basic sound design (oops), this led to an Apprentice position on Sound Design, then Lead and early in 2010 I became one of the three Project Directors.  In the PD role I act like the glue that brings various elements of the project together by coordinating various teams towards an end design goal.  I do a lot of conceptual development (producing Word docs, sketches, random incoherent Teamspeak ramblings, etc.) that help form the framework for new features.  I work with Toth and the rest of the developers to establish relative balance and game experience, this often involves some heated internal "discussion"  ;)   I also take care of most of our Public Relations and recruiting efforts in AoPs absence by maintaining our moddb.com profile and building content for our Media and News releases.  What else... I test, I do defect management, I host the weekly scrum meetings on Sundays, I set release targets (that we miss by a mile, but it's nice to have something to aim at), and yes... I still am the only guy doing Sound Design.

What mechs you personally prefer?
I like the long-ranged snipers if I am going to be in something bipedal.  I've never been all that hot at getting in and brawling and I like to keep enemies at arms length if at all possible.  Doing internal testing I bounce between assets all the time so it's hard to really pick a single 'Mech or style of play that I prefer or have any real proficiency at.

Which aspect of the mod do you find most entertaining?
Battle Armour.  If I'm not flying then I'm running around as an annoying gnat making the enemies' backs itch.  One of the things that I'm really looking forward to in our future release schedule is an expanded role and suit options for BA players.

A little general information about yourselves?
I'm 36 and living in Orlando, FL right now.  By day I'm a Technical Development Manager for a small web software company which means I do many of the same things professionally that I do for the MWLL project.  I do not currently have an aspirations to go to work in the games industry because I think it might ruin my enjoyment for what I do in MWLL.  When I'm not at work, or working on MWLL I'm working on my house which is a non-stop project all by itself.  This last week I finally replaced the 1978 bifold doors to the kitchen laundry nook.  I have 2 cats and a girlfriend who actually knows that an "CERPPC" is.
Proud vendor of Soon™, brought to you by the makers of Someday™, Make Me a Ticket™ and Let's Talk About it Later™

Never mistake "the audience" for "the community".

Offline shadowkiller

• Lead Level Designer
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +38/-0
  • Particle Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
How you got into BT.
MechAssault.

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
/shoots with flamers

;D

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Angry coffee table flip attack!

Offline ~SJ~ Wolf

• Penalty bench
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +148/-2
  • The HNIC of Toast is too baller for avatars.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the participation. It was a very cool read.

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-1
  • Settin standards for paid MW:O employees since 08'
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:58 PM »
How you got into BT

I saw mechwarrior 2 on a computer when visiting a family memebers house and thought it looked amazing. then watched cartoon series and eventually started reading the books.... was all down hill from there

I was doing my annual hunt for mechwarrior 5 related news and ran across this website, then saw pictures of crysis in game and thought they were photoshopped since they looked so good. decided to build a computer for crysis since this game was coming for it and got addicted to the editor

mostly mapping. i have also made some weapons, done code tweaks and a bit of max/mudbox work for my own project :)

What mechs you personally prefer (I understand this is a loaded question)

I used to have favorites but i really like most all of them now about the same. each one has it's place :) although in mwll the mad dog/vulture is my favorite to use. VULTURE OF DOOM!

Concepting out themes and layouts for levels

My real name is Dustin, I live near Kansas City, Kansas- this is where i grew up. I am 26. I have 2 sisters and a brother. Other than the usual peeing, eating, sleeping etc. I am almost always on my computer. I have plans to make two different type of games at some point. The first is an RPG/turn based on chinese history. the other is a world i've been creating for about half my life. I spend most of my non-mwll time working on one of these two things or family related stuff.

I make people earn their checks ;)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
What era of chinese history dude, it's a subject i find very interesting.

Offline Leeko

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +76/-4
  • Clan Jade Wolf Resident Perma-Cadet
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
random incoherent Teamspeak ramblings

One of my favorite parts of being an alpha tester is listening to these. ;)

Really though, thanks to all the devs who have taken the time to write about themselves, it's quite an interesting read.
#mwll, where all the anuschat happens
(2:46:59 PM) Pytak: vicious anus
(2:47:09 PM) haarp: it hungers
(2:48:01 PM) Pytak: for moar

(11:38:04 AM) Merf: I can touch everything.
(11:38:07 AM) Merf: Prepare your anus
(11:38:50 AM) Merf: It is okay. I am your father, which makes it totally not creepy

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 03:22:36 AM »
At first I was like, "Seriously, are we this bored?" and then I was like, "Hmm it's pretty cool to see who's behind this beasty, why, and what in particular keeps them coming back."  There's some nice talent collected around this thing we call MWLL and it's definitely a labor of love and compulsion of curiosity.  Nice contribution to the general health and wealth of the mod.  On an aside the Crescent Hawks Inception was my introduction to BT on the Apple IIC back around 1990.  This IP has had a pretty good run through various platforms and conceptions.
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline [MPB]OM_Sannyasi

• Senior Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +45/-1
  • Settin standards for paid MW:O employees since 08'
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 03:25:30 AM »
What era of chinese history dude, it's a subject i find very interesting.

fall of the han dynasty during the three kingdoms era. 180-230ish A.D. Going to have the player play the part of Liu Bei

I make people earn their checks ;)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 04:01:26 AM »
Lol, everyone sucks Liu Bei's dick imo.

So essentially it's the yellow turban rebellion, pretty cool period i guess. Try and establish the scale of people chasing after power if possible.

Still a very cool concept, if you've a design document around i'd love to have a gander. PM me if that's cool.

Offline Stormin'

• 2D Contributor
  • MWLL Contributor
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
  • Web Developer
    • Lance Command
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 04:39:10 AM »
How you got into BT

Purchased a retail copy of Mechwarrior 3 and got hooked, then on to MW4, Megamek, and anything else BT.  Started up the 88th Mechanized Militia, which ran for years in several leagues...good times and good friends.  Helped get MW4VL off the ground by writing a good bit of the original rule set and acting as rules admin for season 1.  Broke off on my own (heart wasn't in ladder leagues) and started Lance Command, which was never finished.  At some point here we'll see it running for MWLL though, and that gives me warm fuzzies inside.

Like others, via the occasional Google search for anything Mech-related.  Totally freaked when I saw a mod that looked like it might make it past animating a mech and making a video.  Joined the alpha team back in April 2008 as part of CHH.

Initially as a tester, but my beefy little laptop could not handle MWLL.  I earned my Apprentice tags by concepting and providing 2D artwork for the current mech/vehicle/aero HUD.  The parts I worked on were the primary console (lower center displays and misc. extras) and the reticule.  I also designed and implemented the download website, mwlldownload.com.  Currently I only make updates to the website as necessary, and I pitch in on some conceptual stuff in the dev threads.  When I have extra time, I usually put it into Lance Command.

What mechs you personally prefer

MWLL: Timberwolf.  MW3: Strider and Avatar.  MW4: Bushy.

I love how games of this genre reinforce team play and unit cohesion, and how it draws people of like minds together to create a unique group experience.  But something specific to MWLL?  Hmm...Toast.

I'm 40 years old within the month...old school gamer.  I'm a web developer out of Austin, Texas, after a 12-year detour in a completely unrelated field, but at least now I'm back to my roots.  Work takes up the bulk of my time these days, and the rest is spent with family, the 'net, a few games and personal projects.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:42:51 PM by Stormin' »

Stormin' (a.k.a. Xtrekker/Zensai @MWO)
Project Lead Developer
www.lancecommand.com