Author Topic: People with invalid Crysis Warhead CD Key issues: Please read!  (Read 39832 times)

Offline Virt

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-7
Re: People with invalid Crysis Warhead CD Key issues: Please read!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:10 AM »
Believe it or not ... this thread is wrong.

This thread http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,11525.msg178832.html#msg178832 will tell you how to get your non-working Steam key working.

EDIT: ie. you edit your existing key in the registry, and then delete the section of the Steam ipd launch file which tries to overwrite your correctly formatted key.  No need to contact EA or get a new key.

No hard feelings to the OP Yanster who, like many of us, originally thought a new key was needed for the fix, and was just trying to help.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:13:24 AM by Virt »
Creating Kodiak Moments since 1984.

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +9/-0
  • Rawr
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 06:20:38 AM »

This thread http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,11525.msg177722.html#msg177722 will tell you how to get your non-working Steam key working.

How is it wrong?

The thread you linked is basically saying the same thing. When the support agent added a copy of Warhead to his EADM client, it also includes a brand new key automatically tied to that download.

The end result was the same: A new key was needed.

Offline =KoS=toasterpastries

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
  • Unofficial hand-held portable sugar source of MWLL
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 06:44:56 AM »
Negative. There are many people who fixed their "bad" key from Steam just by adding dashes to it in the registry, and preventing Steam from overwriting that registry key when it launches the game.

EA support was never contacted, no new key was ever received, 100% works.

But if EA is dumb enough to give you another key when you technically have a working one, whatever.

"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively but.. if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace." - The Mad Tart Toter

Offline Virt

• Star Colonel
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
What toasterpastries said:

At the end of the thread I linked, it shows you how to fix your Steam issue by simply adding dashes to your existing key in the registry, and then deleting part of the Steam ipd file.

Ie. Noone needs to waste time getting EA to give them a new key.   (In fact, even though I got a new key from EA, my problem persisted because the Steam ipd file kept over-writing the new key with the incorrectly formatted old key.)

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 05:26:57 PM »
If this "Steam CD-Key Fix" is reliable and works repeatedly, this should be front page news on the MWLL website. Has anyone given feedback to Steam on this CD-Key issue?

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • Rawr
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
What toasterpastries said:

At the end of the thread I linked, it shows you how to fix your Steam issue by simply adding dashes to your existing key in the registry, and then deleting part of the Steam ipd file.

Ie. Noone needs to waste time getting EA to give them a new key.   (In fact, even though I got a new key from EA, my problem persisted because the Steam ipd file kept over-writing the new key with the incorrectly formatted old key.)

Ah, well to be fair you did link directly to the one post in that entire thread which did basically outline a method that is nearly the same thing posted here.   :P

Anyway, if adding dashes to the key in the registry does make it work, then that's a great and a huge facepalm to Steam. Kinda silly how they could not only let something like that slip through, but also to let it go on for so long without actually fixing it.

I also agree with what others have said, if you got a second key from EA, and now have two valid CD-Keys, then give one to a friend and get them hooked on MW:LL. With all the amazing work and effort the devs have put into this mod, it really deserves a lot more visibility than it already has.

Offline =KoS=toasterpastries

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
  • Unofficial hand-held portable sugar source of MWLL
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
I'm more inclined to blame EA for a mis-coded keymaker.

I bought Warhead on Steam last year, with no such issues. A lot of people have bought since, with no issues.

I have a feeling that when the sale went big, Steam expired a keymaker in the process of handing out so many and switched to the next one, which happened to be misformatted somewhere.

If you're willing to give up on a company over a minor formatting error that is easy to fix (if you read), I'm surprised you still have a computer.

"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively but.. if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace." - The Mad Tart Toter

Offline Aidan

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-6
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »
My copy of Warhead/Wars was purchased at the EA Store. In the Windows Registry, the CD-Key for this game does not have dashes in it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:40:11 PM by Aidan »

Intel Core i7 @ 3.50GHz, AMD/ATI HD6990 LCS, Catalyst Control Center V12.8, 6GB Tri-Channel Dram, 640GB HD, 128GB SSD, DirectX 11,  Windows 7 Pro (64 bit), Corsair 1200 Watt Power Supply, Liquid Cooled GPU and CPU.

Offline (TLL)KitLightning

• Resident Necromancer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +524/-2
  • πάντα ρει, και ουδέν μένει
    • The Living Legends
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »
My copy of Warhead/Wars was purchased at the EA Store. The CD-Key for this game does not have dashes in it.

Ditto here :P

BUG Reports                                    Technical Issues                                       Install Errors

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." ~Albert Einstein
                                     "It'll take time to restore chaos" ~George W. Bush

Offline ~SJ~{CDT} Ro0t

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +18/-0
  • Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »

This thread http://forum.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php/topic,11525.msg177722.html#msg177722 will tell you how to get your non-working Steam key working.
Excuse me sir, but this thread is NOT wrong! Where is it wrong exactly!? Did you read the OP?

The one where you have to edit your registry is wrong (in the sense it won't permanently fix the issue in Steam), my original post shows exactly what is in the thread you posted.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:09:38 PM by The_Yanster »
~SJ~{CDT} Root
(Formerly known as Dazzlenut)

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • Rawr
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 03:40:57 AM »
I'm more inclined to blame EA for a mis-coded keymaker.

I bought Warhead on Steam last year, with no such issues. A lot of people have bought since, with no issues.

I have a feeling that when the sale went big, Steam expired a keymaker in the process of handing out so many and switched to the next one, which happened to be misformatted somewhere.

If you're willing to give up on a company over a minor formatting error that is easy to fix (if you read), I'm surprised you still have a computer.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me, but for what it's worth I actually like Steam. Even way back in 2002-2003 when they first started up I supported them when everyone was saying what a huge load of crap their new client was after Half-Life and HL2 were tied to it. Steam is really about the only DRM these days that I think is doing it right. The only concern I've had with Steam is the uncertainty of what happens to my stuff if they ever close down in the foreseeable future.

Originally I was blaming EA for it all. When I heard it may be a formatting error though, then unless Steam has absolutely no control over the key itself then I just feel it's an error they could have easily caught, even if it was originally EAs mistake with the initial formatting.  :P

Excuse me sir, but this thread is NOT wrong! Where is it wrong exactly!? Did you read the OP?

The one where you have to edit your registry is wrong (in the sense it won't permanently fix the issue in Steam), my original post shows exactly what is in the thread you posted.

It's ok, I made the same mistake. Ignoring the individual post that Virt linked, and the rest of the thread is basically saying that the original keys given out by Steam are actually valid, but just formatted incorrectly. They were suggesting to try manually adding the dashes into the key, which should make it go through without any issues.

Although,
My copy of Warhead/Wars was purchased at the EA Store. In the Windows Registry, the CD-Key for this game does not have dashes in it.
That is a very good point to mention. I just checked my own key (retail, inputted manually after install) and it isn't formatted with dashes either.

To be honest it makes me wonder if it was just another classic case of EA lagging behind on actually authenticating the keys properly. I've heard reports from other people saying that their key didn't work initially, but then just started magically working a couple weeks after it initially failed.

Which would explain it if the people had an invalid key, and either got a new one or waited a while, then found the above thread, added the dashes, and by then it was already working again anyway.

I guess it's hard to really say for sure either way.

Offline feng.li

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +17/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:49 AM »
Hi guys,
i don't know if that is important to u too, or if all of the probs are gone, but mine was solved now for the version, i've bought through Steam.

I tried all of the solutions the forums provided me, like adding dashes, or replace the variable "%cdkey%" with the key (even with a Key from my DVD-Version)
and nothing worked out for me. I couldn't login to the MWLL-Servers, because like u all, i got the error with "Server Authentification failed (3)" again and again.

But the last thing i did, solved my problem. The Solution is so easy. After now 4 days, since i bought my Crysis, i lost my patience, because of the issue.
And then cames the idea to erase the hole thing and to forget it. Lucky me, i told myself to give a last try by reinstalling from steam again.
So i deleted my Crysis folders and downloaded Crysis Wars again. These time i played it for one time by logging into a server and played for one time,
then i quited the game and started the installation of the MWLL. After all Updates were done, i was able to start and to logging into the Games w/o issue.

There was no need to contact EA for a new CD-Key or anything else. I Think that is somewhere in the hole system a log which is wrongly interpreted.

Greets

Max.Wolf

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • Rawr
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Hi guys,
i don't know if that is important to u too, or if all of the probs are gone, but mine was solved now for the version, i've bought through Steam.

I tried all of the solutions the forums provided me, like adding dashes, or replace the variable "%cdkey%" with the key (even with a Key from my DVD-Version)
and nothing worked out for me. I couldn't login to the MWLL-Servers, because like u all, i got the error with "Server Authentification failed (3)" again and again.

But the last thing i did, solved my problem. The Solution is so easy. After now 4 days, since i bought my Crysis, i lost my patience, because of the issue.
And then cames the idea to erase the hole thing and to forget it. Lucky me, i told myself to give a last try by reinstalling from steam again.
So i deleted my Crysis folders and downloaded Crysis Wars again. These time i played it for one time by logging into a server and played for one time,
then i quited the game and started the installation of the MWLL. After all Updates were done, i was able to start and to logging into the Games w/o issue.

There was no need to contact EA for a new CD-Key or anything else. I Think that is somewhere in the hole system a log which is wrongly interpreted.

Greets

Max.Wolf

Congrats, I'm glad to hear you've gotten yours working.

The thing though, is that most people who get the Server Auth (3) error with the MW:LL mod also get an error when trying to join a regular Crysis Wars server. Basically it just tells them that their CD Key is invalid and asks if you would like to manually enter a new one.  Even when they do enter what should be a legit key, it still doesn't get past the EA authentication servers.

In your case I'm inclined to believe something along the lines of my last post. That while you were in the middle of attempting to fix it yourself EA finally got around to validating the batch of serials your key was bundled with. Then by the time you redownloaded and reinstalled it went through without a hitch.

Offline Virt

• Star Colonel
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:23 AM »
Apparently I've offended Yanster by saying 'this thread is wrong'.   I apologise for the offense, my comment was not meant to be at all personal.  In fact, I was trying to be helpful to others by helping them avoid wasting time like I had.    And indeed, until I found the correct solution to this problem, I too was trying to help people by giving them the wrong advice of contacting EA and get a new key etc.

The reason I wrote 'this thread is wrong' is:

a. because the OP is wrong - you don't need to contact EA, get a new key, and download it via EA manager.   

and

b. because this thread is stickyed, it's the one most noobs having this problem will read first.

and

c. I want everyone who lands in this thread to jump straight to the correct solution... you just edit the existing key in the registry to add the dashes, you edit the Steam launch ipd file, and then it all works.     

Again, apologies to Yanster for any offense I may have inadvertently casued while trying to point people to the correct solution.

Offline Blu_Haze

• Recruit
  • Rawr
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:20 AM »
While it's great to shed new light on an existing situation Virt, I do want to caution about being so resolute in the formatting theory.

Unless there's something very specific to the steam client which requires you to add dashes to the IPD file for it to work, then as has already been said editing the registry to reformat the key is not actually necessary. People with keys that work without any issue whatsoever have reported that their keys do not actually have dashes as displayed in the windows registry.

The easy way out would be to then blame the steam IPD file, but at the same time I've heard many reports where people have downloaded the retail client instead of launching through steam, inputting the serial manually, and it still not working right.

A simple formatting error would be a fantastic and simple fix, but I still think it's just too early to be claiming that one specific thing is the root cause of it.