Author Topic: Differences between IS and Clans?  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Le_Petit_Lapin

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Differences between IS and Clans?
« on: January 05, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
Hey guys, I dont really know anything about the Battletech universe, but with the game eventually going to go IS equipment vs Clan equipment, I was wondering if anyone could outline the main differences, advantages and disadvantages betweeen the IS and Clan Mechs?

The last Mech game I played was probably MW3, and IIRC whenever you picked up Clan equipment in that, you almost always stuck it straight onto your Mech, it was just plain better.

If thats the case, what pros do the IS guys have?

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
Re: Differences between IS and Clans?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »
Their equipment usually is simply cheap as dirt compared to the clan stuff. That's all.
Oh, and the IS equipment produces less heat than the clan stuff.
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
They tend to have better electronics I believe as well as fielding more of them, but if I am perfectly honest this isn't my area of expertise.

I'll let one of the local scholars give you the proper run down.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Long Tom for one, but as it stands in this game Clan mechs are just plain better, though more expensive.  Fake money is a poor way to balance a game, IMHO.  Now IS has X-Pulse Lasers, I guess that's something, now that ATMs are in the picture MRMs have lost any advantage they had.  It really has to do with how the Devs play this, we may not see a 'good' balance between IS vs. Clan tech.   If you just wanna go for better, the answer will probably always be CLAN. >:( >:( ;D

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +341/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »
I think he mean in BTU bro, but maybe he didn't.

Offline CapperDeluxe

• MWLL Developer
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +162/-0
  • Life is cheap, mechs are expensive.
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »
... now that ATMs are in the picture MRMs have lost any advantage they had...

Not true, the minimum range on the ATM ensures the MRM is still a force to be reckoned with in close quarters battles.

Anyway in BTU lore the Clans have far superior technology and piloting... and its really quite imbalanced until the IS starts upgrading their own tech to match up.  This is where the devs are making adjustments to ensure its actually fun while staying somewhat close to the technological differences.  C-bill cost is really one of the best ways to ensure that balance.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »

Yeah, I got that bro, but it is in relation to this particular game.  Read his post, he stated that in MW3 if you could get Clan tech you used it, cause it was always better.

Not to dis what the devs are doing, but it is 'FAKE' money, if you use all Clan tech/mechs you will gain money faster, because they have more/better weapons on their mechs.  So the c-bill 'balance' is not the best way to balance the tech bases.  Plus I have heard time and again that MWLL is not based on a specific BTU time period, but to me it is obvious that it is way past Clan Invasion time, when the Clans had the clear tech advantage.  Give the IS ten years and they have, for the most part, caught up.  Puzzled I am. 8) 8)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:42:11 PM by AlfalphaCat »

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline Le_Petit_Lapin

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:02:50 PM »
I did indeed mean in relation to the game, but I think I might have put it in the wrong section of the forums, too many tabs open!

still all very interesting, been reading up on Btech backstory the last couple of days, so keep the fluff stuff coming too!

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
In the BTU the IS main advantages are at first superior numbers and that they are not bound by any codes of honor.
Later, after the invention of Rotary Autocannons, MRMs, and special ammo for normal ACs, the creation of mechs and tanks specially build to fight the clans, and after reverse engeneering much of the clan tech they are able to fight on more even terms with the clans.

In MWLL the X-Pulses and RACs are very nice weapons, and most of the IS mechs are available much earlier then similar weighted clan mechs.
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 04:10:07 PM »
Quick!  like a bunny...http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

It's not the most accurate, but it is a start.  :D

Have fun out there kids...

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:18 PM »

Give the IS ten years and they have, for the most part, caught up.  Puzzled I am. 8) 8)

This is because in the FASA writing staff the IS writers out number the clan writers and thus normally IS ideas carry the day...such as the tech leap in ten years, or anything such as thus. The IS always had stackpole, keith, gressman, coleman, pardoe, ect in their pocket, the clans had thurston as their only big hitter(stackpole wrote for the wolves yes but they were something secondary to him)...notice how the Falcons always seem to be ok, those where his babies.

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/