Author Topic: Guide to Elemental/BA  (Read 24980 times)

Offline delushin

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +0/-0
Re: Guide to Elemental/BA
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:16 AM »
Nice thread good job!

BA is something I have been playing around with a little and one tactic that has had some good success (when working with a team on TS) is using BA to sneak behind enemies and tag for long range friendlies to unload on ... works really well in a team of 5 ... 2x long range 2x brawlers / diversion 1x BA tagger its heaps of fun!

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »
If you can, shoot enemy's weapons! Missle boats without their LRM racks are no danger for your team. See that ArrowIV Catapult? Shoot Arrows' containers! They are rather fragile and they are the only weapon of that mech. Hollander with HGauss? You know what to do!

Offline Squibby

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +54/-0
  • Hanger to core breach in 30 seconds...
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 09:42:39 AM »
Eat hguass :D, damn BA...

Offline megab0t_5

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +7/-2
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 09:57:45 AM »
My MK II on Kago was raped so hard by a squad of BA, my monitor is still shaking even at the windows desktop. :(

Offline Snow Gibbon

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +37/-8
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
Avoid using laser weaponry. It makes you a lot easier to spot.
12th Vegan Rangers - Missile spam is the best kind of spam!

Offline Errodien Ward

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +56/-0
  • Delicious...
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »
Avoid using laser weaponry. It makes you a lot easier to spot.

... Or you could just not fire it at max range in an open area. it is best used up close when you are within about 50 meters of the mech/vehicle/whatever.

Offline Vanion2

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 12:05:24 AM »
I just read a ton of great advice and have a few things to add:

SRM's....use them.  If the mech is in radar range you can lock on in short order.  Even if they have LAMS the SRM's have a good chance to hit at close range.  If the mech is close enough, don't wait for the lock.  Fire away.

Fighting another BA and waiting for the mPPC to recharge?  SRM right where he is about to land for a nice round of splash damage and a direct hit is BA giblets.  (I am pretty sure you cannot lock onto a BA with SRM's though).  If you are really good (or really lucky) you can SRM BA's in the air but if you miss you don't get the splash damage effect so I prefer to use them pointed down.

Just keep in mind how close you are when firing the SRM's as the splash damage isn't picky. 

Unlike lasers the SMR's won't give you away if you are clever about it so take advantage.  I can usually fire the mPPC and the HML twice before the SRM's reload so just keep firing away until those two little missiles light up in your HUD.

Firing off an HML and want to cut it short?  Switch weapons.  Instantly kills the beam and is a great way to reduce visibility to the enemy. 

Reserve the HML for close range encounters.  Especially if you can land on the mech or have a good line on its back armor.  It's tempting to use every gun you have when in a fight but the HML is only effective at 175m or less and is a big yellow banner saying "BA here!".  Use it wisely and you will be well rewarded is many a mech kill.

You can carry quite a few of all three types of grenades.  Do so.  I usually get about 3-4 of the C8's and Infernos each.  I skip the narcs because I try not to get that close to a mech unless I am defending a base.  You can buy more if you run out but loading up is usually a waste as you will probably die before you get to use them all. 

You can throw grenades over walls.  If you have a pesky asset waiting to snipe you just around a wall start tossing a few to piss them off at the least.  At the best you could score a kill (I've done it before).

If you see any asset with a flamer get the hell out of there.  If you even sense a Huit get the hell out of there.  Lure them into traps but don't try to take them on unless there are several talented BA's working together. 

Remember...your #1 job is to piss off the enemy.  Let them call you cowards and tell you to come out and fight all they want.  Play smart and keep picking at them.  Let your team know where they are and what's going on and you will be doing your job.  I never score the highest when I am a dedicated BA but I score pretty damn good when I play my part and my k/d ratio may not be great but if I am close to even at the end of a round I am pretty damn happy with myself.   :D

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2011, 07:54:19 AM »
The BA AC2 does more damage over a given period of time than the Micro Heavy Laser, but only at < 50m.  This is best used while defending bases as you can generally approach your target more easily.

The damage you can do is not to be underestimated.  I, personally, can come close to taking arms off of raiding lights trying to cap a seemingly undefended base, all before I have to let the thing cool down.  The trick is to approach from above, where they can't pan to shoot you.  Never fly in their face, and never stay at their feet for long, as it's all easy pickings for someone who knows how to shoot.  If they start to move away, fall back and keep picking at them until they get the point.
Thanks for the view.

Offline ^sPikE-

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +24/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »
Got stickied!  8)

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 07:41:11 AM »
/Based on some recent experience as a driver of 4*RAC2 Parti/

Dear BA player, if you see enemy partisan of huit near you - RUN.  Do not stand still and hope, that he won't pay attention to you. Do not try to shoot it. just RUNRUNRUN! The same goes for Mr. Bubbles, Bushwacker A, other things... You can attack them only if they are fighting with some else.

Remember, that Vulture B is a dangerous thing for you. NEVER... NEVER land on the ground, where it can shoot you. SSRMs' splash will tear you apart. However, poptarting against it is rather safe. Same goes for units with MRMs.

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »

Dear BA player, if you see enemy partisan of huit near you - RUN.  Do not stand still and hope, that he won't pay attention to you. Do not try to shoot it. just RUNRUNRUN! The same goes for Mr. Bubbles, Bushwacker A, other things... You can attack them only if they are fighting with some else.

Remember, that Vulture B is a dangerous thing for you. NEVER... NEVER land on the ground, where it can shoot you. SSRMs' splash will tear you apart. However, poptarting against it is rather safe. Same goes for units with MRMs.

+1

Dear BA Player,
I am the Huit Prime and even if I am engaging another asset I will not hesitate to take the 2 seconds needed to grab a free kill. If a I or any of the partyvans are within 1500-800m then I would advise you to find something else to do or some other objective to go after. I have been known to leave enemy APCs on the field because it just generates a steady stream of light snacks. Nothing personal but I do also chuckle when I see an ejecting player or the teltale BA JJ trail.

Yours truly,
Huit Prime

Bondsman of the Clan Jade Falcon

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »
One thing to keep in consideration as a BA is running.  Jump jets are awesome but I have survived during the middle of fire fights quite often by mostly running along the ground.  With a lot of action going on a lot of people will ignore you, or even notice you. One of the prime factors in letting people know a BA is kicking around is the plumes of smoke that come from a BA's JJ.  As mentioned above me by Warhammer, you see a Huit, just go, run, hide.

Offline Errodien Ward

• Alphatester
  • MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +56/-0
  • Delicious...
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »

+1

Dear BA Player,
I am the Huit Prime and even if I am engaging another asset I will not hesitate to take the 2 seconds needed to grab a free kill. If a I or any of the partyvans are within 1500-800m then I would advise you to find something else to do or some other objective to go after. I have been known to leave enemy APCs on the field because it just generates a steady stream of light snacks. Nothing personal but I do also chuckle when I see an ejecting player or the teltale BA JJ trail.

Yours truly,
Huit Prime

Dear Huit Prime,

Sorry for getting up close to give you that hug, I figure you didn't like it much with all the useless shooting and such. Nothing personal, but I just love getting in close enough so that you cannot shoot me. Your tears are wonderful lubricants for my Battle Armor joints.

Truly your,
Smart Battle Armor

Offline Brainwright

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +34/-2
  • AKA : Rotten
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2011, 04:37:55 AM »
Dear Huit Prime,

Sorry for getting up close to give you that hug, I figure you didn't like it much with all the useless shooting and such. Nothing personal, but I just love getting in close enough so that you cannot shoot me. Your tears are wonderful lubricants for my Battle Armor joints.

Truly your,
Smart Battle Armor

Explanation is necessary.

If you can get within 5m of a tank, you're generally below the point where its turret can follow you.  Take advantage by planting grenades and wailing away with an AC2.  Be careful, though, because it can easily get far enough away to shoot you or just plain run you over.
Thanks for the view.

Offline Warhammer WHM-6R

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +14/-0
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
Dear Smart Battle Armor,
If I have let you cross the one thousand four hundred and ninety five meters of my effective range (of which a good five hundred plus fully detectable with my bloodhound active probe) without molesting you and you have been able to avoid my whole team amongst whom I should be standing then I will dub you not a smart battle armor but a flipping ninja battle armor. Do though still beware my worthy foe because I am a tricky one and do still have an ace up my sleeve in the form of a turbo boost. This turbo boost is a Clan tech monster which can compress 42 m3 of air per second in full swing and if you are caught in front of me then all your stealth will not stop you from being sucked into my fusion powerhouse as I surge over your soon to be sneaky corpse.

Kind regards,
Huit Prime

[edit]: tiny correction. Thanks Siege
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:55:19 AM by Warhammer WHM-6R »

Bondsman of the Clan Jade Falcon