Author Topic: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.  (Read 15345 times)

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +340/-78
  • I can use the Internet to flaunt my fetters.
Re: Your idea the of ultamite mechwarrior game.
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Kicking and melee combat in the Arma 3 engine would be difficult

Ftfy.

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +159/-6
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Lol melee. 3025 is the CBT founder's program? ::)

Thief gameplay + Doom3 engine = The Dark Mod

Offline Alpha_Zulu_Tango

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-6
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »
I guess a picture is required.

Heated up TSM Berserker chasing you on close would really get ones blood pumping. (if roughly translated to MWLL terms, about as much damage per blow as 2 hits from IHG. In CBT it would mean dismemberment or destruction to anything less of a assault mech). In CBT melee is one of the aspects meant to approximate the gab between IS and clans, namely much superior firepower not in numbers but in range and accuracy. Especially with the fluff reason of clanners disdaining melee.

But anyway, the topic is about 'your' idea and while I see melee as an integral part of mech combat, someone else might prefer ranged combat only as it has been since the first mechwarrior games.
Aka =Z= AZT

Contact person of Zeta Battalion. Kaikki suomalaiset tervetuloa!

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2013, 06:06:08 PM »
Picture wasn't required, also, TSM and Falcon talons on a 100 tonner, 60 damage kicks. No thank you.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
I'd much sooner play in 3025, or even pre. First succession war would be an even cooler setting imo.

Offline Alpha_Zulu_Tango

• Recruit
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2013, 09:18:05 PM »

You got me wrong, I don't challenge you and I'm not familiar with post jihad mechs too much as things seem to go more and more OP. Clans embracing melee openly makes the gab between IS tech greater yet again.

I mean melee is an aspect that brings quite different feeling to FPS games. Think AvP Aliens or Half Life 2 with those fast screaming mumbling zombies, they are much more interesting to encounter in tight spaces than shooting random troopers. Or outside FPS, say UFO 1 with Chryssalids which had lots of APs and high damage resistance. Always a "-o shit!" moment, a feeling of excitement.

The picture in itself really strikes as a great example of how ferocious and dynamic the combat could be. Charging towards the enemy guns blazing, exchanging fire and then when reaching point blank, physically hit the enemy and see armour bending, internals pop out, magazines explode, limbs spinning in the air. (To me) watching fafnirs in mwll hug each other and shooting hgaus at turns is like watching turrets exchange fire, if both are in equal terms the first to hit resolved the fight already. There should be more to it than just that, mechs are much more alive and vivid in the fluff and that is an aspect I'd like in my idea for 'ultamite' (heh) mechwarrior game.

Many I have played MM and myself too prefer playing in 3025 setting as it is missing OP things and still can have all the little funny things & options with expanded rules. There is no OP aspect in they way IS vs clan, sub par vs superior. 3025 players really really hate tcomp cpulser boats :P All in all easier standing point to expand from in a 'simulator' setting as said.
Aka =Z= AZT

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
Yeah I get where you're coming from, the point I was trying to make is that munchkins gonna munch, and unfortunately the 'Mech building system is a bit too exploitable.. (think cpulse boats are bad? I blew up a 1500 ton dropship in 1 turn with an ATM12 HE boat...by killing it, not by making it crash). My ideal MW/BT game wouldn't have melee, or it'll all be TSM 100 tonners boating HE ATMs, Clan MPL/Imp. Heavy medium lasers w/ targeting comps and talons kicking for a billion damage every turn/x seconds of ingame time while moving at 70kph. My ideal game wouldn't even have a 'MechLab, which heads off a LOT of this insane lore killing derp right at the get-go. Of course, my ideal 'Mech game wouldn't be very popular, since apparently you *need* a derplab for people to play your game.

Offline Bill

• Living Legend
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
I'm with you there Xarg, I wouldn't have a mechlab either.

Far too easy to exploit, unless you could really work out a decent internal system that would make boating/smurfing have some major detriments and become a double ended sword.

It's something we're looking at with the CJW project thing and hopefully we'll be able to come up with a nice compromise.

But yeah, 3025 (or earlier so the battles are truly prolific and there being the decay from Star League era tech down to what's in reserve and the like) with physical combat.

Oh an a key fundamental I'd like to see is a dynamic campaign, something along the lines of the old spacesim games, by which I mean the campaign carries on if you fail a mission but in an altered capacity. The same towards how well you win/lose the mission. That's something I think is massively missing from a lot of modern games.

Offline Alpha_Zulu_Tango

• Recruit
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »
No man, 3025 tech and canon mechs. I dislike implementing mechlab to the game unless solaris arena type of a more tournament oriented competition mode of play and even then preferably not. Don't think I suggested one either? Berserker was was just an example melee dedicated mech with an hatchet & TSM mentioned earlier and frankly I don't think it as OP as Turkina D or so. Any case, for a 3025 setting IS mech clan anything is terror and panic.

When the game would be complete in 3025 setting, then it could be expanded to include further depth in line with the timeline.

Dynamic campaigns and well, a well made singleplayer experience as whole is something that would be well met.
Aka =Z= AZT

Offline Xarg Talasko

• Living Legend
  • KANE LIVES!
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »
Just to clarify, I'm not directing the entirety of my posting at you, as you seem to think. Furthermore, the open question is "your ideal 'Mech game", which is why I'm explaining what *my* ideal 'Mech game is while also discussing things with you. Me being happy with a game either 3039 or 3052, isn't me making an attack on you wanting 3025. It's my opinion on an ideal 'Mech game.

If I was forced to accept a 'Mechlab, ideally it'd be in a Solaris style situation same as your idea, though mine would be limited by some kind of hardpoint size and number restriction, a hybrid of MWO and MW4 styles (replacing an AC/10? Can only fit a ballistic of that size or smaller, and only 1 of them). Melee I just don't like, if it was going to be in my game, it would be among the last things developed, to allow for maximum viability testing, and possibly limited to just arm weapons.

Fully agreed on a single player campaign, biggest disappointment of MWO. I really wanted MW5 and its 3015 story.

Offline DKPortela

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-2
« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2013, 04:42:01 AM »
Yeah I get where you're coming from, the point I was trying to make is that munchkins gonna munch, and unfortunately the 'Mech building system is a bit too exploitable.. (think cpulse boats are bad? I blew up a 1500 ton dropship in 1 turn with an ATM12 HE boat...by killing it, not by making it crash). My ideal MW/BT game wouldn't have melee, or it'll all be TSM 100 tonners boating HE ATMs, Clan MPL/Imp. Heavy medium lasers w/ targeting comps and talons kicking for a billion damage every turn/x seconds of ingame time while moving at 70kph. My ideal game wouldn't even have a 'MechLab, which heads off a LOT of this insane lore killing derp right at the get-go. Of course, my ideal 'Mech game wouldn't be very popular, since apparently you *need* a derplab for people to play your game.

I agree, a game ideal for me would be without a mechlab and, at least until solaris came, without melee. I would want to see tactical movement and thinking not Golden Axe with mechs, we have a place for that.

As we say in my language, every monkey in its branch. (old saying about avoiding confusion and loss of purpose.)

Offline Fury9er

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +20/-4
« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Oh an a key fundamental I'd like to see is a dynamic campaign, something along the lines of the old spacesim games, by which I mean the campaign carries on if you fail a mission but in an altered capacity. The same towards how well you win/lose the mission. That's something I think is massively missing from a lot of modern games.

This with bells on. MW2 Mercenaries did this and it was great when I realised I could get a different mission by sticking with failiures rather than reloading a saved game. The lack of a modern single player Mechwarrior game is very dissapointing and I was quite receptive to some 3015 old-school action when those MW5 trailers appeared despite getting into the universe via the clan-centric Mechwarrior 2.

Anyway MY ideal game would have combined arms elements, such as the option to do certain missions on foot in FPS mode. For example you might have a mission that involves getting information from someone on a planet - you can send in a lance of stompy robots and step on people till they  others talk, OR you can go low key and ask questions in dingy bars to get the information you need.

I'm not suggesting a lack of Mech action, there would always be the option to combat drop and complete missions that way, just that combined arms could also work nicely in single player. I would be interested in a BTech FPS element as some of the infantry weapons and equipment are interesing.

A single player mechlab could be implemented by a technical-staff mechanic. So you can hire and fire techs (and they might get killed) but the fewer you have will make things take longer or possibly result in inconvenient breakdowns. Customisation would thus have certain options weighted with a man-hours value, rearming and fixing armour being reasonably quick but swapping weapons about would be a pain in the arse that takes several missions of time to do and makes your cheif tech swear.  This mechanic could possibly be extended to a multiplayer format by servers assigning tech-time for customisations, although you just know everyone would only play on the servers with it set to max  ::)

It is a great shame that the Mechlab is exploited in muliplayer and I have to admit the lack of it doesn't affect my enjoyment of mwll, something I was quite skeptical of at first.

Offline EmyLightsaber

• Apprentice Dev
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +46/-1
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Coming SoonTM to a MWO Server near you!

The Mechwarrior Online: Clan Wars Expansion Pack!
Raise your quality standards as high as you can live with, avoid wasting your time on routine problems, and always try to work as closely as possible at the boundary of your abilities. Do this, because it is the only way of discovering how that boundary should be moved forward.

-Edsger Dijkstr

Wesco wrote:
Main point: "OH LOOK AT ME I'm A BIG STUPID MECH WITH A SILLY GUN AND I'M ALL AGILE AND GRACEFUL OH LOOK OVER THERE IT's A TR MAX...............................OH MY GOD I CAN LICK MY OWN KNEECAPS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPINE IS."

Offline skyhawk71

• Recruit
  • l33tp0intz: +1/-0
  • Let the fires guide the Sphere towards unity.
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »
@Fury: Awesome idea you have there!

My idea of a perfect MechWarrior game would be something with a rather large campaign mode, with a focus on cooperative play as well. As for tech level, I guess start with 3025 and work up as the story progresses. As with some other suggestions I've seen here, it'd also feature combined arms gameplay (light tanks/hovercraft running scout operations in certain missions, certain missions requiring the player to use an asset other than a 'Mech, like Battle Armor). The game would also support an (optional) multiplayer component with variable player numbers for matches, such as 4v4 (lance vs. lance) and higher.
Known in-game as Nighthawk71.
"Let the fires guide the Sphere towards unity, to seal the cracks that divide the Great Houses." -Founding words and slogan of the Mercenary Lance Firefox (later known as Ghost Fox), a non-canon mercenary lance made up by me.