Author Topic: Organizing Random 5v5 Scrims  (Read 8326 times)

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +68/-2
  • "War is fear cloaked in courage." Gen Westmoreland
Re: Organizing Random 5v5 Scrims
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:36 AM »
Open Merc Night, hah that's awesome.  I see what you did there....

ZW Videos would be outstanding, whatever you can make.  People love seeing themselves in battle for sure, especially from a different viewpoint.

CoffiNail is working on registering the IRC channel.  Channel is #MWLLScrim on QuakeNet, it's populated now. We are having some trouble registering it, but I don't think we really need it registered for our purposes though.  Thanks EagleFire and CoffiNail for getting it registered!

So basically if you are looking for a scrim or a ringer go to mIRC QuakeNet channel #MWLLScrim.  If there are enough people on for a scrim, set it up and go.

Here's hoping this works. ^^
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 04:00:15 AM »
Good idea, but I also thought we(units) should stack against each other on pubs as well.  This way those not affiliated could join in the fun.  So if you see at least 3 folks from another clan/unit, just join the opposing team with your friends. 

Just another idea for more informal scrims, and we could always just switch servers if we want to limit numbers or get a bit more serious. :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:56 AM »
Two weeks of my slow ass scrim organizing and he sets this up.  :P

If people are willing it seems like a good stop gap measure until we're all busy with the planetary league.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline Sean Lang "Phil"

• MWLL Contributor
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-1
  • "Life for others is worth my sacrifice"
    • Clan Wolf in Exile: Alpha Galaxy
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:25 AM »

If people are willing it seems like a good stop gap measure until we're all busy with the planetary league.

That would be sweet, could do a scrim/mock WiE v ??? battle and do some cool video for the public!

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 05:03:03 AM »
I need my fix!  Look what you created...

Yep, that too Alfa.  Especially if we try to involve the rest of the team.

I thought this was a good idea though because I feel like often there are a lot of folks don't feel like yet another pub cycle but they would gladly log on for an hour of heart-pounding scrimmages.  But since it's not like these people will see each other on pubs, we need a no-hassle out-of-game solution, and mIRC fits that bill nicely.
"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One, One is a Warrior, and He will bring the others back." --  Heraclitus

Offline AlfalphaCat

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +104/-19
  • Still here, and still queer for the MW:LLs! :P
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:08 AM »

This is how I felt too, and to be honest, when I first started booking matches, I thought it would be cake.  Well it is, just takes perfect timing on all our parts. :'( 

I see enough folks running unit tags, and also guys that pub a lot, that if we get more than just clans/units involved our 'work' is half done.  The rest is just a matter of cobbling teams together and not playing your everyday pub match.  Agree on terms on the spot too, so that these types of fights don't get stagnant.   :) :)

I suck!! But WE are AWESOME.  We started a unit.  What's that?!  YOU WANNA TOUCH MY UNIT?!! :P ^^12thVR Recruitment Page(clickthepic) ;)

Offline =KoS=toasterpastries

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
  • Unofficial hand-held portable sugar source of MWLL
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:56:59 AM »
I as well would like to get on some of this... I can probably rally enough TLL to fill out 5v5 whenever.

Practicing up for NBT would be nice, but of course pubbers who want to fill in some spots are always welcome to me.

I have RCon over TLL servers, so I can admin scrims in that regard as well.
Contact me or BlueOrb, or try leaving a post on www.thelivinglegends.net

"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively but.. if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace." - The Mad Tart Toter

Offline MerfMerf

• Lead Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +90/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar, 331st Feral Fangs
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
Eh, I bet the idea was to have this happen sort of like spur of the moment, no?
So contacting people via PMs etc is not going to cut it I think.

Very good idea with the IRC-room though. Makes me feel all quake again.
I will be sure to log onto that room in IRC when I am available for a fight. Quite a few SJers around that can do basic operations on our spare server and I can see no reason why not to use it for this. I mean, even if there is not enough for a 5v5 even duels can be fun if they can be organised in a spur of the moment fashion.

/Merf - Will be in that IRC room when available for random fighty stuff

Offline =CJW= Zone Warden (W)

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +30/-4
  • Sucky sucky whammy whammy
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:58 PM »
Expanding on some of what Merf said, (don't hold me to this as I'm not sure what the rest of the Clan would like) but our FunBocks is always set to PureTech. Could make it more interesting?

But that is getting into the realms of slightly more organised play, I'm all for random teams of team brawling.
Call and they will come.

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
Awesome, thanks for volunteering servers, TLL, SJ, and CJW.

With that, I think I'd like open "Scrim Master" applications for the 12thVR server to all the units that don't have their own servers.  This way we can have a wide population of Scrim Masters for when the ones from the larger units aren't online.

Just as a note, I'm moving the 12th VR to Texas to help accommodate our Pacific players [this should get them to 200 or lower ping hopefully].  The Rangers have several folks out there that often feel like they're not able to play to their best since the populated servers are on the east coast and in euro land.

Once I get everything up and running I plan on having Urban Jungle and Star League Cache setup for ToS rules, so they can be used in scrims.

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:55 PM »
Awesome.  This is turning out really well thanks to everyone’s support.  Best community ever.

Square, that is mighty generous offer, thank you.

I did envision this to be spur-of-the moment Merf, but as long as we’re getting more people doing organized scrimming in general, the means aren’t as much of a concern as the ends are.  If we can get a scrims going with the mIRC channel that’s good, if we can get them going from PMs that’s good too, I won’t be picky.

I didn’t think about dueling, but hell yeah that’d be fun too.  Really we have a lot of possibilities...I wouldn’t mind even just getting a group of people to go on the CJW Funbocks and do some Puretech pub-style play for a change of pace (so I can spam Owens Cs against your Kitfoxes!!!).  I think the hardest part will be getting people used to frequenting the channel…once we get a solid base of players to draw from though, I can see this taking off. 

And we can always guilt trip the people in the #MWLL sister channel into coming and playing with us. ;)

Offline =KoS=toasterpastries

• Alphatester
  • Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +28/-0
  • Unofficial hand-held portable sugar source of MWLL
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 06:22:34 PM »
Eh, I bet the idea was to have this happen sort of like spur of the moment, no?
So contacting people via PMs etc is not going to cut it I think.

Very good idea with the IRC-room though. Makes me feel all quake again.
I will be sure to log onto that room in IRC when I am available for a fight. Quite a few SJers around that can do basic operations on our spare server and I can see no reason why not to use it for this. I mean, even if there is not enough for a 5v5 even duels can be fun if they can be organised in a spur of the moment fashion.

/Merf - Will be in that IRC room when available for random fighty stuff

Yes I agree, I noticed the new IRC room put there for that purpose after I had posted already. I'll give that a go later today.

"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively but.. if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace." - The Mad Tart Toter

Offline CGB [CoffiNail]

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +101/-0
  • Khan of Clan Ghost Bear International
    • Clan Ghost Bear International
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »
Saturday we should really push the room and this thread and see what we can do.  Anyone know then the Dragoons are hosting BA Apoco?

Offline xDeityx

• Alphatester
  • Star Captain
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
I'll be pushing it tonight! I know at least 2 Knights will be on, and I'll advertise in pubs if need be.

Offline =KoS= Tripod

• Alphatester
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +138/-0
    • Kos Boards
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
I might join you, but I just rented Crysis 2 and will probably be playing that instead