Author Topic: Official Announcement: Art Pipeline for .5 and Beyond  (Read 10194 times)

Offline Defender

• Creative Director
  • Project Director
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +65535/-65535
  • CHAOTIC NEUTRAL
    • Patrick Salerno's Porfolio
Official Announcement: Art Pipeline for .5 and Beyond
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
I'm publically noting this previously internal discussion to all community members to keep you in the loop as to our new pipeline for distribution of Art Assets within the scope of the mod's future. There has been a drastic change and revamp to the Art Pipeline in the past few months and I'm here to explain how that pipeline affects you, the community member and what you should expect to see in the coming months.

Since I've been promoted to Art Director I've noted flaws in our system that I wanted to see rectified to increase overall quality of Art Assets being implemented into the game. This has been a grand undertaking as a reorganization of the entire art team has taken place, as now there is much more organization and streamlined workflow to be had within the development process.

This is a two-pronged system that benefits us, and you. The main benefit to us, as Devs, is that we gain a much more streamlined workflow and update process to dictate which assets will be implemented by whom, when, and in what order, to fill gaps in our current asset list. Remember, no asset takes a single artist to complete. Most things take months to implement a single, 100% Game-Ready Asset into the field and this is noted by a large gap between inclusion of new assets into the game since organizing free labor to get things done on a timely basis is a challenge in itself.

The first prong of this system is that by us taking more time to implement assets, we increase the overall quality and error-free geometry that will:

A. Increase the visual fidelity of art assets, and

B. Will decrease the possibility of crashing or performance loss due to un-optimized  or error-prone geometry from entering the game in a mad rush to get them to you.

The second prong of this system is a more "real-time" inclusion of art assets, as they are finished. When an asset is game-ready, we will no longer wait till a new point release (aka. .4, .5, .6) but will release them in the sub-point releases such as .5.1, .5.2 and so on. This means in the simplest terms, that in every single hotfix, you may or may not expect a brand new shiny asset, or retextured asset to be implemented. This gives you the benefit of knowing that you don't have to wait months on end for a slew of new assets at once in a major release as they will slowly trickle into the mod as completed.

This helps us give the best quality and best performance, while also giving us the ability to immediately release assets as they are completed (which we want to do anyway. Who the hell wants to finish an asset, then wait to release it?).

This helps you because it will (in a perfect world) retain populations for longer periods of time between major releases as there will be more to look forward to with each update. No longer will update hotfixes just fix bugs or balance, but may actually include whole new assets for you to play with. This way, we don't essentially "shoot our load" into the community in a rushed fashion for each major release, but can finesse and optimize each asset and give you the quality you expect while increasing the amount of assets included on a more timely basis.

I hope this was informative and clarifies why certain premier assets were not included in the initial .5 release. This update will pervade through all future releases from now on.
"A Goal without Vision is a Hallucination"

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Offline SquareSphere

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +228/-6
  • pancake slinging, Square (care) Bear of MWLL
    • 12th Vegan Rangers - Boards
Re: Official Announcement: Art Pipeline for .5 and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
WOW great news.  Thumbs up all around!

Offline guybrush3pwood

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +3/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
so to paraphrase for the lazy ..

Moar purrrty ... moar often !

luvs it !   :P

Offline ELH_Vivicector

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +49/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:51:51 PM »
Cool, love it!

Offline Ghogiel

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
I don't think anyone will be unhappy with that announcement.  :)

Offline ~SJ~ Blhurr

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +79/-2
  • ~SJ~
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
nice info.  No more big parties though eh?
"Damn these RCTs! 'Mech combat is bad enough, let alone the  combined arms of 'Mechs, vehicles, infantry, and fighters." - Loren - Death Commando - Highlander's Gambit

TC_ThermoCline - TC_Woods - TC_CastleHill - TC_00_Dam - TC_FeralFangs - TC_Breadbasket

Offline (Wilson)

• Lead Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +60/-0
  • The Man
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »
Plenty of big parties still man ;) ... we will still be releasing major updates(.5, .6, .7 etc) that include major changes to mechanics, gamemodes and features or the introduction of new mechanics, gamemodes and features just like normal..

What Defender is getting at is that you can expect to see new mechs, models and other pretty stuff(like Maps!! :) ) included in our point releases(0.5.1, 0.5.2 etc) rather than only in major releases like we have done previously.
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment that which they cannot anticipate"
- Attributed to Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Offline Come and See

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +26/-0
  • Thunderbolts, apply directly to the forehead.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Looks good.

Keep up the good work.

Offline xInVicTuSx

• Apprentice Dev
  • Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +193/-5
  • Knight of the Inner Sphere
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »
I see.

I agree, not only will it keep people fresh, it will keep the meta game fresh as well.
-Invictus ne Vindicetur-

Offline ~SJ~ Amarus

• Star Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +40/-0
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar's Loremaster
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
Always good to hear 8)

In short in matters battle armor, aerospace and omnimech
I am the very model of a rabid fan of Battletech
-Aposiopesis-
http://z9.invisionfree.com/Smoke_Jaguars/  

Offline ~SJ~ Lobo

• MechWarrior
  • l33tp0intz: +47/-0
  • CW+CSJ = GOD OF THUNDER
    • Clan Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the inclusion with this announcement, and the change to your own internal processes for the community's benefit as well as your own.

Offline Stahlseele

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +86/-6
  • 2nd Level TechSupport Agent(BOFH)
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »
Nice to know, but seriously?
New Assets?
Seems to me as if 50% of the Assets don't see any use at all due to the ZOMGWTFBBQ UBAR/BROKEN mentality of the Players O.o
I, personally, would not mind waiting for point releases for the inclusion of new assets. Yes, i realize that i am probably the only one on this side <.< . .
More seldom new toys give more of a WHOA BABY effect on release too . . and gives you more time to play/test with them too . .
'any kind of discussion of randomness ALWAYS WILL EQUATE to being able to critically hit a mech's reactor by firing a micro beam laser while facing 80 degrees to the side, shooting the ground, which would cause a random explosion which would randomly crit his entire team's reactors which would randomly cause the server itself to explode which would randomly generate a strange quark which would randomly hit the earth and randomly randomness randomfapp the shit fapp random!'
------------------------------
CPU: Intel Xeon i7 4820k
Memory: GSkill 2x8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz
Video: Inno 3D iChill GeForce GTX 780Ti Black Accelero Hybrid
H/SDD:Samsung Series 830 256GB/512GB, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB, 1x WD Caviar Green 3TB
Monitor: 2x24" Widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 native resolution
Win7Ultimate64

Offline TAX_MAN!

• Lance Sergeant
  • l33tp0intz: +16/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »
Nice to know, but seriously?
New Assets?
Seems to me as if 50% of the Assets don't see any use at all due to the ZOMGWTFBBQ UBAR/BROKEN mentality of the Players O.o
I, personally, would not mind waiting for point releases for the inclusion of new assets. Yes, i realize that i am probably the only one on this side <.< . .
More seldom new toys give more of a WHOA BABY effect on release too . . and gives you more time to play/test with them too . .

I dunno'.  I use pretty much every asset in the game with the exception of the sparrowhawk.  Especially the Uller and SSRM Owens with the latest patch.

Offline GB-72AT Talon

• Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +43/-0
  • Don't quote me on this.....
    • GB72nd Assault Trinary
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »
This way, we don't essentially "shoot our load" into the community in a rushed fashion for each major release, but can finesse and optimize each asset and give you the quality you expect while increasing the amount of assets included on a more timely basis.

I hope this was informative and clarifies why certain premier assets were not included in the initial .5 release. This update will pervade through all future releases from now on.

Smaller more polished incremental updates will certainly help the player base ebb and flow situation.

Sure it felt different but so did my wife after the kids were born. A little loose but it still gets me off every time. -- Suspect

Offline =KoS= Eldragon

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +91/-2
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
I don't pick favorites. I usually switch assets every spawn. So for me, new assets is always something to be excited about.  I also think it will help smooth the balance out over the long run. Rather than get 3 new mechs in one big release along with weapon and gameplay tweaks, we get a single new mech. So its a lot easier to determine if the Mech is OP, or just the weapon.

Many of the assets most people never take are actually quite viable, they are just harder to use or are very situational.