Author Topic: armor value breakdowns--which variant?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Maratai

• Bondsman
  • l33tp0intz: +11/-0
armor value breakdowns--which variant?
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:39 AM »
Hello--sorry to be so slow getting started, had to deal with some unexpected work stuff.

I've updated the Owens (http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=Owens) with the 0.5 stats and I wanted to ask--I had been under the impression from the wiki's mech listings (specifically the paper doll with armor values) that all variants have the same armor breakdowns, but according to Kai this is not true?  If there's a difference between variants, which one's armor values should I be using in the single wiki listing?    If it's "the most commonly used one," I am going to have to ask for guidance as I don't know the game well enough to judge that (unless it involves the Owens C, I suppose).

I plan on starting with the Light Mechs and working my way up if I haven't been beaten to it.  Thanks!   :D

Offline DFDelta

• Living Legend
  • l33tp0intz: +145/-1
  • Wiki Staff
    • My Youtube page
Re: armor value breakdowns--which variant?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:50 AM »
If a mech has one variant with 23k, one with 24k and one with 25k, its most likely that 24k is the normal value and the others have added/lowered armor to free tonnage or use free space.

If there are only 2 different armor values I'd use the more common value. If there are 3 variants with 24k and one with 23k I'd use the 24k.

If its a 2/2 situation... well, your choice, but I'd use the values of the prime in that case.  ;D

EDIT:
Ah, I did misunderstand you, didn't I?
You mean that both variants have 25k armor, for example, but one variant has more armor on the arms and one more on the torso?
In that case I would use the values of the prime variant.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:40:27 AM by DFDelta »
Join the MWLL wiki today, your contributions will make the wiki a better place.

In Lyran Commonwealth, Atlas scouts you.

Offline Cygma

• MWLL Developer
  • Star Colonel
  • l33tp0intz: +65/-1
    • 7th Regiment Wolfs Dragoons
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
In the XML files (GameData.pak\Scripts\Vehicles or something like that) are general armor values per asset, that's what i used for the armor break-down and it gives an overview over the general distribution.
Also every variant has specific amounts of armor, the sum of those should show up as the "total base armor" per variant.
While i can ease that work using a script, i haven't gotten to generating new wiki data yet from the XMLs and don't know when i will.
<Insert cool content here>

Offline =KoS= Finalizer

• The bomb diggity diggity
  • MWLL Developer
  • Lance Captain
  • l33tp0intz: +61/-0
  • ORE WA BATTLEMECH
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:46:27 PM »
When I updated the Uziel and Thanatos, I just used the Prime variants for the armor values since I assumed that would be the "standard" armor for the unit. Unless told otherwise, that's what I'll be doing for the other Mechs when I get to them as well.

And yeah, different variants may have different armor values depending on their role. For example, the Vulture B (SRM variant) has slightly more armor than the Prime, while the Vulture C (LRM variant) has slightly less. There's even some cases where a variant has significantly more armor than the "standard" amount, such as the Mauler D and Thanatos D, which is probably a good reason why each variant has their own total armor value listed as well.

Superior commit notes for superior developers